catholic guilt (1 Viewer)

Live and let live? Fighting intolerance with intolerance seems pointless.

Surely people who are ill-informed deserve sympathy rather than abuse?

Next you'll be saying we should sympathise with nazis because they're just ill informed. Sorry but that just doesn't roll with me.

The facts are there, what you choose to believe and then force onto your children is a choice one makes and is certainly not a result of being ill informed.

Any hopes we had that this thread would resolve the issue of Church vs The Kids vs Science once and for all have been dashed.

evolution.jpg

Hang on, now. Creationism is an insignificant blip in history. It doesn't even register as a blip, in fact. Has anyone been beheaded because of creationism versus Darwinism? No. Has a country been invaded? No. It is simply not significant in that way.

It's gathered pace in the US to the point where there is serious debate about introducing it on to the curriculum in some states. This may seem like small potatoes now but the teaching of an ideology that has the rapture & the end of days at it's core is very significant in a 'how didnt we see this coming' sort of way.

Both of you:
Not funny, not nice, and downright defamatory.

For shame guys!

a bit silly to start talking about the nazis, granted

but they raise a relevant point

if you include a made-up story in a history lesson, then history itself is cheapened

and it follows that everyone should be allowed put 'their' history into the syllabus as well

including, well, nazis

It's gathered pace in the US to the point where there is serious debate about introducing it on to the curriculum in some states. This may seem like small potatoes now but the teaching of an ideology that has the rapture & the end of days at it's core is very significant in a 'how didnt we see this coming' sort of way.

Yo I think you all need to chill out!

a bit silly to start talking about the nazis, granted

but they raise a relevant point

if you include a made-up story in a history lesson, then history itself is cheapened

and it follows that everyone should be allowed put 'their' history into the syllabus as well

including, well, nazis

That's pretty much my point (you're much better at this words thing than me) I didn't mean to call anyone a nazi sympathiser, I was just equating creationism with another extreme viewpoint.

don't quite a few schools in the US already teach creationism as fact?

Hang on - what are we arguing about? I was saying that it shouldn't be taught in history because it's not historical fact (obviously), though creationism as a social phenomenon with possible political ramifications may be historically significant at some point, so there may be a case made for it being taught then--but this hasn't happened yet, i.e., nobody has chopped off anyone's heads, burned them at the stake, etc, yet. It's not history - yet! And it might never be!

Aside from this, are you saying it should be taught, because it is significant, in the spirit of "know thine enemy"? In what class? Ideology class? Civics?

Aha. Gotcha. I agree. We both win. And we totally hammered Egg.

I dont think it should be taught anywhere but Sunday school.

Hang on - what are we arguing about? I was saying that it shouldn't be taught in history because it's not historical fact (obviously), though creationism as a social phenomenon with possible political ramifications may be historically significant at some point, so there may be a case made for it being taught then--but this hasn't happened yet, i.e., nobody has chopped off anyone's heads, burned them at the stake, etc, yet. It's not history - yet! And it might never be!

Aside from this, are you saying it should be taught, because it is significant, in the spirit of "know thine enemy"? In what class? Ideology class? Civics?

I would say that trying to teach religion as a pretend science very much undermines the point of belief as well so it really should be kept out of Sunday School also

I dont think it should be taught anywhere but Sunday school.

Same here, believe it or not. As a non-catholic, non-C of I kid I either ended up having to participate in religious education/events that were not consistent with my beliefs or was permitted to abstain, which also marked me out as different.

With so many people having such varied beliefs it's something that should be left to the parents (who should be expected to act in the best interests of their child) and their own religious organisation.

Arguing in slow motion on the podium receiving our Olympic gold medals for arguing while Egg sits in the stands all lonely with his knowledge rosette

Right now, I'm hearing the tune from Chariots of Fire, and Vinnie and I are the two guys in it, winning.

plink plink plink plink PLINK plink
plink plink plink plink plink

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back