Cancelled (3 Viewers)

What makes her murder a 1-in-5-million event?

Taking in the things people are going wild about, a woman murdered by a complete stranger from another country - In comparison to murders in ireland mostly being done by people who are known to each other, it's a complete outlier, the one instance of in Ireland i know of. I just went on population.

Taking in the things people are going wild about, a woman murdered by a complete stranger from another country - In comparison to murders in ireland mostly being done by people who are known to each other, it's a complete outlier, the one instance of in Ireland i know of. I just went on population.

I get you

But wasn't that lady in Limerick murdered last year murdered by a stranger from Afghanistan? Who knows how many there are?
Not to say it's frequent, but women are getting murdered left right and centre.
Foreigners and strangers and husbands and boyfriends do it. I'm reluctant to frame any incident of femicide as a rarity. But I get what you're saying.

If this guy who murdered Aisling had an arrest for a sex offence, then that should have been looked at. But no one does their job anymore.
Gemma Hayes might be right for the wrong reasons.

My mother is far from impressed that the husband in the recent murder suicide is being buried with his wife; I'm reluctant to try to place myself in the shoes of the family members who decided that, but can't say I'd agree to it.

I get you

But wasn't that lady in Limerick murdered last year murdered by a stranger from Afghanistan? Who knows how many there are?
Foreigners and strangers and husbands and boyfriends do it. I'm reluctant to frame any incident of femicide as a rarity. But I get what you're saying.

If this guy who murdered Aisling had an arrest for a sex offence, then that should have been looked at. But no one does their job anymore.
so you agree that every Irish criminal living overseas should be forced out of that country and back to Ireland?

I get you

yeah, its a pity we're not as good at keeping tabs on sex crimes and criminals as we were in the 60s/70s/80s

there's freedom of travel within the EU. are the police in (pick random EU country) expected to inform the gardai of the movement of everyone from their country who has a conviction for sexual offences?

From what I could find, the thing he got in bother for in his home country was sleeping with a teen while being a teen. The person on the other end of it said it wasn't an assault. Thats culturally loaded but I'm not sure it's really something that Europol are going to be going red alert on either.

I literally quoted the minister for justice a few posts ago outlining that what Gemma Hayes is spitballing on Twitter about already exists.

so you agree that every Irish criminal living overseas should be forced out of that country and back to Ireland?
Dude, I have no idea.
If other countries don't care who they let in, then it's not for me to say.

I'd be slightly surprised that anyone with a criminal record gets a residency permit in a country.
Sure, send 'em back if they want to. Or don't let them in to begin with.

yeah, its a pity we're not as good at keeping tabs on sex crimes and criminals as we were in the 60s/70s/80s
I dunno what the argument is here

But Garda vetting and the Gards and immigration in general are not exactly world beaters
None of them van get out of their own way

Is the idea that because we have homegrown sex criminals here then we can't discriminate about who gets to live here?

Womens aid 2018 said about 4 in one million femicides* in ireland based on documents i was reading last night.
*femicide is a cultural term but not a legal term in Ireland.

There's been a million women murdered and 4 of them were by foreigns?

Arguably you could make that five with Ian Bailey

There's been a million women murdered and 4 of them were by foreigns?

Arguably you could make that five with Ian Bailey

I think it means that for every million women in Ireland in 2018 4 were killed.

I'm not sure where @ann post got his figure but I just found a report published by women's aid in 2018 which gave a rate of 0.3 per 100,000 which scales up to 3 per million, there may have been rounding issues but both figures are quite similar.

I don't know if it's relevant when trying to calculate the level of murder of women committed by men in Ireland (perhaps it isn't, if nothing else it centres the preparators in the discussion as opposed to the victim) this year but as we're talking about 2018 that was the year that Anna Kriegl was murdered and there were 2 people convicted of killing her.

I hate coming back to this point, but the problem here is not foreigners, the problem is men.

the problem here is not foreigners, the problem is men.
You're absolutely correct
It's men from start to finish

One of Brendan's guests on Sunday rattled off a long list of women who had been murdered in Ireland - and even though you'd think the incidence is rare, nearly all of the names rang a bell.
We have this maybe cognitive dissonance where we think it's somewhat rare, and yet it's happening all the time around us.

I think I'm saying that the response to anyone saying "we shouldn't allow sex offenders in here" isn't to get defensive about racism/xenophobia, but more like "yes, we should be doing everything it takes to protect women from the many dangers they face"

I think I'm saying that the response to anyone saying "we shouldn't allow sex offenders in here" isn't to get defensive about racism/xenophobia, but more like "yes, we should be doing everything it takes to protect women from the many dangers they face"

I think it's dependant on the way that language is used and how people interpret it as tipping your hand, where Hayes IMO has run into trouble was by using phrases like "proper vetting" and "secure borders" especially in an Ireland in 2023 when I really question a lot of the motivations of of people who've been throwing those phrases around. That's to say they just don't want *them* coming here, some of the prominent figures are have demonstrated that they themselves are dangers to women.

Last edited:
Proper vetting seems reasonable enough term.

On the face of it yeah but not much on earth really exists in a vacuum at the same time.

This awful case in Scotland this week, as far as I know the perpetrators are all cisgendered native brits but 2 flavours of "protect children" activists over there (and there may be overlap in both categories in a rowntrees randoms sort of way) have remained fairly quiet on it as far as I've seen.

Edit: THIS awful case for anyone lucky enough to not have heard about it

prior to Aisling Murphy's murder on the the 12-2-2022 the previous woman killed by a stranger was nearly a year earlier (Urantsetseg Tserendorj was killed by an Irish teenager).
I think seven other woman were killed in Ireland in between. All of their killers were white Irish men that the women were (or had been in one case) in relationships with.
before Aisling Murphy was murdered Urantsetseg's case was getting little attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back