Cancelled (2 Viewers)

Yeah - like it's not that anyone is oblidged to like/dislike her, it's more a case that what bothers me, or why i'd post about it at all is that the cancellation/twitter pile on was based around people who want to support trans rights, but simultaneosly are not supporting trans rights by perpetuating misinformation. It's not the RM that bothers me, it's the reaction being people's personal self publicity campaigns regardless of the best as verifiable factual side of the whole equation. It's sorta Johnny depp 2.0 (not in terms of cancelling, in terms of people presuming they are doing the right thing) - the result of depp vs. heard was essentially that she staged a domestic violence crime scene with her mates, this was found out, he wasn't charged and he gave the cash to charity when he won the case. HOWEVER online it was along the lines of HOW DARE DEPP appear in public the wife beating fucker - Anywhoo I'm ranting a wee bit.

TLDR It's the misinformation that annoys me.
This isn't quite the same thing, but Tina Fey being interviewed about the new Mean Girls project

1705601356458.png

Like you can still get to be a horrible cunt now, but there's this shield of moral authority to it.

She’s ended up on a couple of EOY lists

Well, fair enough. I remember checking the Pitchfork one and Guradian one in December, and it seemed to me that she was noticeably absent. Curious to see what lists she made.

she’s doing really well at the moment
Well, that's good. You kinda/gotta feel for her as a person (or not).
Particularly as this was gonna be a huge year for her.

Well, fair enough. I remember checking the Pitchfork one and Guradian one in December, and it seemed to me that she was noticeably absent. Curious to see what lists she made.

Well, that's good. You kinda/gotta feel for her as a person (or not).
Particularly as this was gonna be a huge year for her.
Spiked Online gave her album of the year!

No, but seriously. The album does seem to be doing pretty well despite the cancellation in some quarters. It kind of reminds me of a quote that I heard before which said “Being famous on Instagram is like being rich in Monopoly.” I’m just wondering if the inverse is true of cancellation.

This isn't quite the same thing, but Tina Fey being interviewed about the new Mean Girls project

View attachment 18067

Like you can still get to be a horrible cunt now, but there's this shield of moral authority to it.
Sure a certain type of old women have been at that shit for centuries, and they probably took lessons from the church

View attachment 18067

UTM and Tina Fey are on the same page about this sort of thing, except with him he says it used to be the catholics and now it's some other banner depending on the year. The overarching point being, which i agree with is that people aren't going to change that dramatically from generation to generation - but i guess they need to believe they've changed.

Chilling stuff. How a group of college students conspired to destroy a teacher for lecturing on the works of Robert Crumb.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR GREAT COMMENTS!!!! I appreciate it so much! Original post: Because there's been some renewed discussion about my travails as a teacher of comics, I'm posting this article I wrote for The Chronicle of Higher Education (November 2022): http://www.deathoftheartist.com/readings/CartoonishCancellation.pdf. UGHHHHHHHHH. Things are a little better this year, btw.

Chilling stuff. How a group of college students conspired to destroy a teacher for lecturing on the works of Robert Crumb.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR GREAT COMMENTS!!!! I appreciate it so much! Original post: Because there's been some renewed discussion about my travails as a teacher of comics, I'm posting this article I wrote for The Chronicle of Higher Education (November 2022): http://www.deathoftheartist.com/readings/CartoonishCancellation.pdf. UGHHHHHHHHH. Things are a little better this year, btw.

1705847825014.png

Horrific and yet unsurprising.

When people are convinced they are morally correct, there's almost no viciousness they're not capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back