Camera Obscura (1 Viewer)

just got sent this:

Camera Obscura – “Let’s Get Out Of This Country”

Glasgow’s Camera Obscura are back with their best album yet.

“Let’s Get Out Of This Country” is a master class in intelligent, melodic ‘retro-modern pop’. 20 seconds into the first track (and first single) “Lloyd I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken” and you will know this is a great band truly hitting their stride.

Producer Jari Happalainen (The Concretes, Ed Harcourt) has shaped a cohesive collection of classic songs which are, at turns upbeat (“If Looks Could Kill”, downbeat (“Country Mile”), hooky (“I Need All The Friends I Can Get”) and epic (“Razzle Dazzle Rose”).

Lead singer/songwriter Tracyanne Campbell is on top form, ably assisted by
Carey Lander (piano, organ and vocals), Kenny McKeeve (guitar, vocals vocals); Gavin Dunbar (bass), Lee Thomson (drums) and Nigel Baillie (trumpet & percussion).

Tracyanne’s musical influences include the songs of Jimmy Webb, Hatch and Trent, The Supremes, Lloyd Cole, Connie Francis, Sandy Posey, Skeeter Davies and David Lynch film soundtracks, among many others. But with the form she is hitting, Ms. Campbell could give plenty of her singer/songwriter heroes and heroines a run for their money…

Jimcorr said:
I think they are my new favourite band.
Even if they do sound like Glasgow squared...

:) :) :)

Not fifteen minutes ago I was saying "listen to this, listen to this - they're my new favourite band!!!"

Then I put on I Don't Do Crowds and everybody said "ahhhh".

I'm having a geek-pop moment.

00-96-nerd.jpg

Bellatrix said:
Not fifteen minutes ago I was saying "listen to this, listen to this - they're my new favourite band!!!"

Then I put on I Don't Do Crowds and everybody said "ahhhh".

I'm having a geek-pop moment.

00-96-nerd.jpg

They have a new single coming out soon called "Lloyd, I am Ready to be Heartbroken". It is a reply of sorts to a Lloyd Cole song called "Are You Ready to be Heartbroken?". Which is kind of funny.....

cheryl said:
i :heart: camera obscura. when is the album out?

Sometime in the Summer according to the Pitchforkers

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/tracks/06-04-06.shtml

Thu: 04-06-06

Camera Obscura: "Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken"
genre: indie pop

Camera Obscura can simultaneously evoke a wedding, a funeral, and a 1970s game show theme; the organ overture of their new single, "Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken", encapsulates this tincture of celebration, sadness, and a dash of winning schmaltz. Equally adept at trudging or skipping through their meadows ringed by ominous grey clouds, Camera Obscura are at their jauntiest on "Lloyd" -- the peppy guitars trip along; a stupid-obvious electric lead breaks into a big gummy grin; twinkling organs bounce across Tracyanne Campbell's emphatic vocal like a karaoke indicator-ball. The operative phrase here isn't "heartbroken," but "ready to be;" Camera Obscura thrives when tottering on the verge of something beautiful and tragic, not when they're wallowing in it.

This song is a response to Lloyd Cole & the Commotions' 1984 call for intellectual revolution, "Are You Ready to be Heartbroken?", a self-righteous screed with lyrics like, "If you really want to get straight/ Read Norman Mailer/ Or get a new tailor." Camera Obscura might seem acquiescent here, but when Campbell sings, "Hey Lloyd, I'm ready to be heartbroken/ Cause I can't see further than my own nose at this moment," there's something of a mischievous rebuke about it, a wry jab at pedantry in the second line-- Cole's stuffy pretensions deflate like a balloon at this sweet pinprick of unabashed, honest human folly. [Brian Howe]
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Jim A. Morrish said:
Carey Lander (piano, organ and vocals), Kenny McKeeve (guitar, vocals vocals); Gavin Dunbar (bass), Lee Thomson (drums) and Nigel Baillie (trumpet & percussion).

We stayed on this dude's couch in Glasgow some time back. He has the largest DVD collection you can possibly imagine and kept us up most of the night watching these DVDs. When he wasn't engrossed in a DVD he was compiling top-ten lists with his mate. e.g. "Top ten british sit-coms of all time, Gav, what do you think?" ... "Oh, that's a good one ... let me see .... Steptoe and Son .... etc. etc.". Nice fella though, if a little, eh, eccentric.

Never heard Camera Obscura though ... I reckon I'd hate them.

i think they are becoming my favorite band. i only first heard of them earlier today on another forum. the songs "happy new year" and "eighties fan".. fantastic.

phantom shitter said:
i think they are becoming my favorite band. i only first heard of them earlier today on another forum. the songs "happy new year" and "eighties fan".. fantastic.

those are good alright. those are both from the first album. the second one - 'underachievers please try harder' is the best.

phantom shitter said:

They played Eighties Fan when I saw them in London last week. It really is utterly lovely. I do like Underachievers but Biggest Bluest Hi-fi is really kind of perfect.

outoftheblue said:
They played Eighties Fan when I saw them in London last week. It really is utterly lovely. I do like Underachievers but Biggest Bluest Hi-fi is really kind of perfect.

remember that drunken conversation in Whelans about putting on a gig? we need to get Camera Obscura. maybe we said that on the night but WE NEED IT!

ilovehoovering said:
remember that drunken conversation in Whelans about putting on a gig? we need to get Camera Obscura. maybe we said that on the night but WE NEED IT!

i just realised you probably need it a lot less that me now seeing as you just saw them last week but still...i NEED IT!

Jimcorr said:
They have a new single coming out soon called "Lloyd, I am Ready to be Heartbroken". It is a reply of sorts to a Lloyd Cole song called "Are You Ready to be Heartbroken?". Which is kind of funny.....

the guitarist from the commotions is now a journalist with a newspaper in donegal.... allegedly

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back