Camera Obscura (1 Viewer)

i think they're great too. i saw my first real one this weekend...

observatory.JPG

this used to be a snuff mill... anyone ever overdose on snuff in secondary school? line it up like lines of coke and snort it through a bic biro? no, me neither. now it's an observatory with a camera obscura on the top bit an absolutely smashing view of brunell's clifton suspension bridge...

bridge.jpg

i did engineering in school and this is pretty much the only engineering thing i've ever seen that made me go "wow". roads and buildings are pretty boring for the most part.

Jim A. Morrish said:
there's one in ediburgh too, about 500 yards from the entrance to the castle.

mad yoke altogether, might build one in cork!
oh yeah! i think i remember seeing that years ago. you see, yesterday, me sitting in a dark room, observing something far away didn't seem as strange as it should. arf. but yes, they are truely bonkers. i'm surprised cork doesn't have it's own one to observe dublin with.

Jim A. Morrish said:
we prefer to spend our time on more interesting pursuits, such as sleeping, eating sheeps stomachs and pigs blood and producing insane football captains.
hmmmmm, to be honest, that sounds a lot more interesting than spying on cappucino drinkin' sheilas.

Jim A. Morrish said:
you'd better believe it, buddy!
right, you're busted. i got an amazing cappucino last weekend in cork and, as far as i could tell, it was made with cork hands. care to comment?

Hands_cork_3_opt.jpg

hag said:
right, you're busted. i got an amazing cappucino last weekend in cork and, as far as i could tell, it was made with cork hands. care to comment?

Hands_cork_3_opt.jpg

you prove my theory for me! Everything is better in cork than in dublin, mein herr, q.e.d.

Jim A. Morrish said:
you prove my theory for me! Everything is better in cork than in dublin, mein herr, q.e.d.
so can i take it that you'll never slag us for drinking cappucinos again? this could be momentous!

fuck sake

there is only one CAMERA OBSCURA!!!!

camera_new.jpg

"CAMERA OBSCURA is not pulling any punches. They're out to rock you so hard you fall onto the dance floor. The band launches its aural attack using an arsenal comprised of Michelle Maskovich's squealing keyboards, Duane Pitre's mountains of guitar squiggle, William Lamb's thunderous drums, and Russell White's urgent-yet-muffled vocals. Like a dance party during a tornado watch, CAMERA OBSCURA throws caution and moderation out the window in favor of thrilling, adventurous sound combinations. CAMERA OBSCURA formed in '98 in San Diego, incorporating members of THE SHORTWAVE CHANNEL, THE INTERSTATE TEN, and SPANAKORZO. The band self-released a 7" (now in its fourth pressing on Three One G Records) in October '98 and went on its first U.S. tour in January '99. More touring and recording followed, leading up to the release of their first full-length, 2000's "To Change the Shape of an Envelope." Sadly, they are no more, but Russell and Michelle continue to record under the moniker CHAMPAGNE KISS, and they have recently released their debut on TMU "

MP3's:
Twenty Five Diamonds // Aeronautical

Review:

Camera Obscura
To Change the Shape of an Envelope
Troubleman Unlimited
"The San Diego post-punk scene of the 1990s has a checkered, incestuous, yet nonetheless fascinating history, claiming a handsome number of great-but-disbanded bands (Drive Like Jehu, latter-day Antioch Arrow, Swing Kids, and Clickitat Ikatowi, among others) as its favorite sons as much as it does thus with the overrated (the Locust, the Shortwave Channel) and the just plain bad (namely, the Crimson Curse) alike. Not necessarily a new face on the scene - most San Diego bands don't last long enough (i.e., possess enough novel ideas) to make it to CD - Camera Obscura make their legitimate technological debut with To Change the Shape of an Envelope. The city's fascination with the Birthday Party-via-Jesus Lizard histrionics and quasi-gothic electronic kitsch remains unabated here, as Camera Obscura bolster big, angular beats with generous amounts of neurotic guitar skree and cheap Casio buzz. At times, the five-piece even unfurls a sheet of shambling, shoegazing sound the early-'90s Brits would be fond of, only a touch more melancholic (best example: "Sound" - seriously). For those not enamored with the "San Diego sound" - or modern post-punk in general - To Change the Shape of an Envelope is a fairly ho-hum affair, but for those sickly, intrepid souls (this writer included) who can't seem to pry themselves away from the faux capital of fashion music, the album is nevertheless a worthy footnote."

oh, yeah, i was in that one in bristol too...
it is great, and that bridge is amazing, there are lots of free phones along it which dial straight through to the samartians, incase you have second thoughts about jumping off... scary...

swingkid said:
fuck sake

there is only one CAMERA OBSCURA!!!!
strange, that's the only camera obscura i've heard, and they're fucking amazing. so who are this newfangled camera obscura i'm hearing so much about

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back