• Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 1

MDR

Did you get my email?
Website
www.myspace.com
Can anyone tell me what happened at the end of this? I watched it tonight but was wondering if you're supposed to be left hanging or if I missed something.

Great film. I won't give it away, but it's crucial to concentrate on the left hand side of the final shot. That should clear things up a bit. You still have to do some work to come to any kind of conclusion though. I'd defo advise a second viewing. Worked for me.

i think i have it figured and yes the final scene is v important but i dont think the viewer is meant to be sure.. it is meant to leave us wondering

it does rip off lost highway a bit but its very different in the way it is done... its not as outright scary, more a gradual creepiness and its completely real .. no metamorphosis or other madness..no soundtrack of any kind.. dont get me wrong though i love lost highway

PM sent.

I looked out for that bit at the end. Still doesn't make a whole heap of sense.

Don't want to plotspoil for anyone who hasn't seen this so will just mention I was impressed at the grossness of one particular scene.

It's amazing how few reviewers have noted this similarity between the two films. I think Haneke himself acknowledged it by naming the main character of "Caché" Georges Laurent. (If you recall, the first sentence spoken in "Lost Highway" is "Dick Laurent is dead". It's also the last sentence spoken.)

Having said that, the similarities between the two films probably end there.

Alan Remorse said:
is this movie not just a rip-off of the first fourty mins of lost highway?

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Thank you everybody who PM'd me. Who'd have thought that Darth Vader was Luke's father eh?

Not in the newly re-edited Special Edition he ain't. Although he is Jabba the Hut's uncle or something like that.

Nuts...I feel stupid now as I obviously missed something. I should have read this thread beforehand so as to know what to look out for, but I was afraid of spoilers. Good film in any case.

Mermade. said:
i think i have it figured and yes the final scene is v important but i dont think the viewer is meant to be sure.. it is meant to leave us wondering

it does rip off lost highway a bit but its very different in the way it is done... its not as outright scary, more a gradual creepiness and its completely real .. no metamorphosis or other madness..no soundtrack of any kind.. dont get me wrong though i love lost highway

yea i totally agree with ya.cept the loving lost highway bit,this was way better.

Just saw this last night. Absolutely mesmerising. Undoubtedly
a modern classic. Everyone should see this. Really enjoyed the
sight and sound article posted in this thread as well.

The cinematography was startling. Every image had so much
depth and tension.

See this immediately, can't believe it took me so long.

Saw this tonight. Great film.
That final scene bit ye were talking about clears nothing up - not that there's anything that needs clearing up here.
The plot/motive were pretty straight forward really. The whole 'who dunnit' bit is only really of concern to the protagonist - by the end of the the film I couldn't have cared less who dunnit.
Awesome .|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|

excellent film. really captivating. sad to see so many people obsessing about who sent the tapes and what the final scene meant. check out the threads on imdb. always when there is an ambiguous film out that is open to interpretation the imdb dudes feel the need to stake their claim on what it all "means" . whateva

oh yeah, was thinking whilst watching how effective the lack of soundtracked music was in creating tension. would be totally ruined with some cheesy suspense music. does haneke ever use non diegetic sounds or music in his films?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back