Buying A Piano (1 Viewer)

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Little girl (who is 6) is starting piano lessons soon and so we need to get hold of some sort of piano/keyboard. Would love to have an upright acoustic but don't have the room or the cash so some sort of electric/digital instrument is in order. Anyone experts out there that can give some advice on what to buy? Ideally I want these things:

- something with feel/action like a "real piano"
- something that sounds like a "real piano"
- minimum of knobs/buttons/distractions (in particular no samba beats)
- a decent range of octaves
- something that stays "in place" .. i.e. not a keyboard that get's put on the kitchen table ...

Is it possible to get something decent along those lines for 500 quid or so?

I find the Yamaha digital pianos are the most like real pianos in both sound and feel. The Clavinovas are kind of pricey but the arius ones I think are a good bit cheaper. One of my students picked up one on done deal recently for a song. I'd keep an eye there. I think the rolands and technics etc are great for fiddly stuff but if you want a piano and just don't have space I would totally go Yamaha. Have one myself and teach on it.
Little girl (who is 6) is starting piano lessons soon and so we need to get hold of some sort of piano/keyboard. Would love to have an upright acoustic but don't have the room or the cash so some sort of electric/digital instrument is in order. Anyone experts out there that can give some advice on what to buy? Ideally I want these things:

- something with feel/action like a "real piano"
- something that sounds like a "real piano"
- minimum of knobs/buttons/distractions (in particular no samba beats)
- a decent range of octaves
- something that stays "in place" .. i.e. not a keyboard that get's put on the kitchen table ...

Is it possible to get something decent along those lines for 500 quid or so?

Cheers! Just did the rounds of the music shops and was looking at those Arius ones. 869 new for an Arius 141. It seems pretty good but a bit out of our price range. Will hunt around for a second hand one.

The guy in the shop did say though that if we were willing to stretch another 200 quid, the Roland F-120 is way way better ... hmmnnn

Just push her towards the guitar Hugh.

Yeah I know .. that is tempting but I have an ulterior motive. I play piano/keyboard too and don't have such an instrument so you know .. it's kind of for me also.

I stayed in a house with a technics electric piano. It was amazing. Got home and immediately started pricing fancy electric pianos. That put me of the idea.

If you loved her you'd getting her a baby grand. You kow it's the right thing to do. I mean, who really needs a kitchen?

Picked this one up a few years ago http://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_p95_b.htm
It got me through grade 6 exams. You'll need to get a stand for it but it has a good decent sound and feels like playing a real piano. Also it doesn't take up too much room.

Yeah looks good. I'm torn between getting something like this (i.e. a piano-style keyboard with a stand) and getting something like this:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/roland_f120_sb.htm

i.e. a more permanent "piano" style thing (I have a line on an older version of something like that for 500).

Advantage of the first is it's more compact and it's portable so if I ever wanted to play piano/keyboard in a band setup I could use it.
Advantage of the second is it's more like a "real" piano .. a piece of furniture

Picked this one up a few years ago http://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_p95_b.htm
It got me through grade 6 exams. You'll need to get a stand for it but it has a good decent sound and feels like playing a real piano. Also it doesn't take up too much room.

Is it not going to sound a bit crap though because it's just got a small pair of 6W speakers?

the sound's fine on it, you can have it at pretty much the same volume as a real piano.
When i bought it i was more just looking for something that had fully weighted keys with a decent hammer action (fnar). i was living in an apartment in the middle of towm at the time so couldn't really have it too loud anyways

Something like this -
Keystation88_v2008.jpg

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Keystation88es.html

Dunno about the MIDI keyboard thing. I'm dubious about whether any of them have proper keys/action. More importantly though, want something that sits in the house and that anyone (well, me to be honest) can sit down at and start tinkering away without having to dig out headphones, hook up the laptop, remember how to get the audio software to recognise the keyboard etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back