Buying a new PC- recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Quick question - is there a lot of difference between single and duel channel memory?

After reading the wikipedia article this is what I gathered:

Dual channel should decrease chances of bottlenecks of informations flowthrough ram between peripherals (usb etc) and the CPU by increasing the band width so should make the pc run faster.

Probably won't make that much difference to most applications though.

Ram_bottleneck.gif

It widens the bit in the middle.

Probably won't make that much difference to most applications though.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was wondering! Someone at work is buying a computer and was asking me about it (I'm pretty much what passes for an IT dept in this place and I'm not that technically minded). It seems a lot more expensive to get dual channel and she was wondering was it worth it...

looking for mini format refurb / second hand or similar laptop.

4gb ram minimum, cheap AF.

Anywhere that isn't ebay i should look?
I got a nice little Dell Micro Optiplex 3060 pc off eBay from a place in France a while back. Grand little thing now running Proxmox & Home Assistant. Came with Windows 10, SSD, 4gigs ram I think for €139

I got a nice little Dell Micro Optiplex 3060 pc off eBay from a place in France a while back. Grand little thing now running Proxmox & Home Assistant. Came with Windows 10, SSD, 4gigs ram I think for €139
Yeah it's just to run linux mint for background kinda stuff, hoofing torrents about the place and all that.

looking for mini format refurb / second hand or similar laptop.

4gb ram minimum, cheap AF.

Anywhere that isn't ebay i should look?

refurbed Mac mini?
or secondhand? i got a secondhand one with a keyboard for €150 last week on adverts. bargain

even this imac is a bargain

i know you said PC but at those prices, theyre worth a look

A Mac Mini would be grand for Linux Mint. I have a MacBook Pro 2011 with 8GB RAM and an SSD going like a champ with Linux Mint.
i was about to bin my second (hand) 2012 Macbook Pro last year. install an SSD and it runs like new. amazed how faster, faster than you could ever imagine. faster than fast.
bought a refurbed mac mini for a home server / studio machine. going to add a second sdd at somepoint

I'm not quite tech enough to run Linux on a Mac, I need the one where you click on the thing and twenty minutes later you've a machine without that hulking windows virus on it.

But I'm not ruling out a Mac because it'll also run what I need. Lots of good leads here. Thanks.

Currently working on a 2012 Mac mini. It's totally great. Mind you it has an extra SSD and 16GB ram. Got it on adverts for €300 and something, Guy threw in a Dell monitor too, a decent one.

Currently working on a 2012 Mac mini. It's totally great. Mind you it has an extra SSD and 16GB ram. Got it on adverts for €300 and something, Guy threw in a Dell monitor too, a decent one.
They are great in that configuration. The screen resolution is unfortunately a bit dated though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back