Budget 2010 (1 Viewer)

so the dole for new applicants is 150, but 196 for those already on it?? whats the logic there?

I thought the $150 was only for people up to 24 years old?

Please say the $150 was only for people up to 24 years old?

actually yeah, sorry:

• for new applicants, the rate of Job-seekers Allowance and Supplementary Welfare Allowance for persons aged 20 and 21 years of age who have no dependent children is being reduced to €100 per week and for those aged between 22 and 24 to €150 per week; and

• for all other cases, the rate will be reduced to €150 per week where job offers or activation measures have been refused.

Thank christ for that!

So here, if you go on the dole now at 21, how long will it take for it to come up past e150? Three years? Just encourages more dole fraud/nixers really.

i wonder what theryve done with the aprt time option though. i.e if your 21, you can either have 100 quid dole a week, or work part time and get the full 196?? that'd certainly be incentive.

They raised the duty on wine by 50c/litre this time last year, which was madness really. It means that 60c now is not really that much of a reduction. All in all it's 25c less/bottle I think.

I stil have a job I think altough the next few days are when the bads news sets in and allocations come through. Community got hit but mostly the Irish language supports and drugs supports.

There's a new entry system to public sector drawn up. If you join anytime from now on your pension will be calculated on your average earnings and not your final earnings. Doesnt seem to mention the payout you can take out of your pension either, I presume thats gone.

Are they still going ahead with the frogs counting I wonder?

€6.44 cut in the 70cl bottle of whiskey if I calculate correctly.

Best Budget ever.

On the other hand if you are 22 on the dole at the moment and get offered a job which isn't completely 100% secure or is only short term, if you take it and the job goes capput you have to survive on €150 seems a tad risky considering the average rent in dublin is probably what €90-100 a week?

See you all at the airport so.

Best Budget ever.

On the other hand if you are 22 on the dole at the moment and get offered a job which isn't completely 100% secure or is only short term, if you take it and the job goes capput you have to survive on €150 seems a tad risky considering the average rent in dublin is probably what €90-100 a week?

See you all at the airport so.

Well, you get rent allowance, though that was reduced in April to €68(?). And the average rent of someone under 25 who's bouncing between jobs and the dole is well under €100.

My rent is down c.20% from last year, it's the same for everyone I know. Landlords are high earners, and since high earners are being taxed so much more these days, it encourages them to lower rents. If your landlord drops your rent by €100, it only costs him about 50something euro to do that.

It is harsh on the under 25's alright though, this budget will probably encourage a bit of the aul emigration. Also, I really don't like the way they're not doing the christmas bonus dole, it's effectively an extra 2% cut in pay to the unemployed.

It's young Paul McAdam I feel sorry for: they stole his idea, and then they stole his dole.

Yeah that's what I meant by "well under". Taking a few people I know off the top of my head, 1 person pays over €100 after a c.30% reduction, the rest pay between €70 and €98. This time last year, all of them paid €100 or damn close to it.

I guess the rent allowance is less than the anecdotal average, but I what I was getting at is that ultimately it's the landlords who'll have to lower their rents to the rent allowance thresholds, which is €92/week in Dublin.

And just to complicate things, apparently you have to pay €24/week of your rent out of your dole, so if your rent is €60, you'll only get €36 from the social welfare. I didn't know that before I started writing this post, so I have no idea how that affects the average 20 year old renter.
I assume they'll have to take the dole reduction into account, does anyone know??

Yep, so you say to your landlord "Hey you, lower my rent and sign this rent allowance form". If he doesn't do that, then you'll have to move out. But if he does (and he probably will), then:
-If he lowers it to €92/week, you pay €24, the social welfare give you €68.
or
-If he lowers it to let's say €80/week, you still pay €24, and the social welfare gives you €56

You'll still have to fork out €24 of your dole no matter what your rent is (as long as its less than €92).

My point is, it's the landlords who have to bite the bullet ultimately, for the over 25 year old renters at least. For the under 25 year olds, I don't know how it effects them exactly. I would hope that the €24 figure is lowered proportionally, but I don't know.

So if you're newly unemployed and under 25 you have to live on €218 per week. That's my understanding of it anyway. It seems like the government think that young people don't want to work and see the dole as an acceptable income and are trying to clamp down on this, what they seem to have overlooked though is that they're also really limiting the options of a lot of folks who may have worked since they left school at 16-18 and who are now long term unemployed. Does anyone know if what happens when an under 25 year old switches from the full dole to job seekers allowance when their prsi runs out? do they get €150?

Yep, so you say to your landlord "Hey you, lower my rent and sign this rent allowance form". If he doesn't do that, then you'll have to move out. But if he does (and he probably will), then:
-If he lowers it to €92/week, you pay €24, the social welfare give you €68.
or
-If he lowers it to let's say €80/week, you still pay €24, and the social welfare gives you €56

You'll still have to fork out €24 of your dole no matter what your rent is (as long as its less than €92).

My point is, it's the landlords who have to bite the bullet ultimately, for the over 25 year old renters at least. For the under 25 year olds, I don't know how it effects them exactly. I would hope that the €24 figure is lowered proportionally, but I don't know.
so €92 a week x 52 weeks = €4784 per year
€4784 / 12 months =
€398 per month. do the CWO work on monthly rent? would a €400 rent per month be looked atfer despite it being slightly over?

just curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back