Budget 2010 (1 Viewer)

not defending TD's salaries or anything, but not sure about this "dividing by number of people served" rationale. surely there is many other factors to consider when comparing countries, cost of living etc.
The cost of living in Ireland is higher than the UK, but it's not that much higher.

I believe that the UK voters are under-represented and this leads to governments making decisions that are at odds with public sentiment and ultimately detaches the Parliament from the people.

However in Ireland you have the other extreme.
There are a huge number of backbench TDs who only serve local interests (which are largely not for the benefit of the voters). These TDs are afforded parliamentary powers which are then applied to local issues. These powers are often abused.
By having this level of representation means that Dáil Eireann is just a national local government.

The cost of living in Ireland is higher than the UK, but it's not that much higher.

That UK MP salary is a basic salary and then it gets topped up with expenses and other salaries for different roles they may undertake (committees etc.)

are there many TD's that are already millionaires? - like david cameron etc.

I believe that the UK voters are under-represented and this leads to governments making decisions that are at odds with public sentiment and ultimately detaches the Parliament from the people.

but don't you think too many MP's would be counterproductive? too many voices etc. and people can go to their local councillor or whatever who then goes to the MP, a tiered system like.

but don't you think too many MP's would be counterproductive? too many voices etc. and people can go to their local councillor or whatever who then goes to the MP, a tiered system like.

I'm just not a fan of first-past-the-post. People will vote Tory in 2010 simply because it's not Labour. Even though it is the Tory party
So it's just not representative politics.

But I reckon Ireland has gone overboard with it leading to clientalism which has wrecked the country.

I'm just not a fan of first-past-the-post. People will vote Tory in 2010 simply because it's not Labour. Even though it is the Tory party
So it's just not representative politics.

But I reckon Ireland has gone overboard with it leading to clientalism which has wrecked the country.

you've lost me

you've lost me

the first past the post system is a different voting system to what we have in ireland.

e.g. if a party only gets 10% of the vote but all other parties get less than 10% then that party gets power - no need to a majority of the vote (which in ireland leads to coalitions etc)

it's a different style, form and culture of political representation.

i.e. it's not enough be a mate of a Healy Rae to get a contract to surface roads etc.

Jackie was on the radio a few minutes ago talking about it, said he wouldnt have supported the budget except that cowen has signed off on the hospital even though the hospital has nothing to do with the budget. Unbelievable (almost).
Jackie-Healy Rae got himself a new hospital today. Some other lad got more flood compensation his his constituents.

Just going through what TDs and the Taoiseach earn.

Comparing it to Westminster:

A TD is represents 27,000 people and earn about €96K (GBP£86K).

An MP in Westminster represents 92,000 people and earn about GBP£65K (€71K).

Per person this works out as follows:
In the UK - 77c
In Ireland - €3.55

So it could be suggested that TDs in Dáil Eireann are earning 4 times the amount that their Westminister counterparts are earning.
Has it been too long since the pound died a death to suggest this could be skewed by it's current value (though not enough obviously to totally ignore the point).

There's a clear message here that we should be drinking our way out of recession.

who'd of thunk it??

1scai1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back