Budget 2010 (1 Viewer)

here's a crimbo lolcat to turn everyones frown upside down!

vKTmxGCE16683p_11.gif

Are you threatening me? Paint "rat" on my gaff and I'll FUCK YOU UP

Ahem. Only messin.

Obviously dude. I'm not suggesting anyone put themselves in danger, but most fiddling is not carried out by psychos. See the original post about the grant-claiming chick in the bmw and spare me the drama

You can't possibly know who is and who is not a psycho, and even if you do it annonymously you run the risk of someone making an assumption about who ratted them out and taking vengence on some random innocent goon. Next time you see a car with the paint work scarred by some vengeful little shit with a key remember this.

You can't possibly know who is and who is not a psycho

What? You can make a damn good guess dude.

even if you do it annonymously you run the risk of someone making an assumption about who ratted them out and taking vengence on some random innocent goon. Next time you see a car with the paint work scarred by some vengeful little shit with a key remember this.

So the best thing to do about people fiddling the system (and therefore costing us all money) is whinge about it?

I really can't the see the money from the odd person who fiddles the system actually making a difference to anyone. Not that I condone it but it just seems like turning on each other(divide and conquer) rather than dealing with the real problems we face.

I really can't the see the money from the odd person who fiddles the system actually making a difference to anyone. Not that I condone it but it just seems like turning on each other(divide and conquer) rather than dealing with the real problems we face.

I'm pretty sure there would be a case that the cumulative impact of the odd bit of fiddling (fraud) has a very real and damaging impact.

And I don't just mean cumulative financial impact but a cumulative moral impact. When personally fiddling (fraud) becomes pervasive and normalised it becomes difficult for "a society" to challenge the broader problems of corruption - and when I mean challenge I mean directly and indirectly.

It also makes it difficult for "a society" to recognise the weak signals of future collapse brought about through the collective shrugging of shoulders to corruption and fraud.

also - maybe there is a measurable effect on the nations well being through the collective cognitive dissonance and general hypocritedness.

I'm pretty sure there would be a case that the cumulative impact of the odd bit of fiddling (fraud) has a very real and damaging impact.

And I don't just mean cumulative financial impact but a cumulative moral impact. When personally fiddling (fraud) becomes pervasive and normalised it becomes difficult for "a society" to challenge the broader problems of corruption - and when I mean challenge I mean directly and indirectly.

It also makes it difficult for "a society" to recognise the weak signals of future collapse brought about through the collective shrugging of shoulders to corruption and fraud.

also - maybe there is a measurable effect on the nations well being through the collective cognitive dissonance and general hypocritedness.

I'd find it very difficult to report anyone to the same authorities that have been shown time and time again to be more corrupt than we'll ever really know. I think I get your point about dealing with dealing with corruption and fraud from the bottom up, I just don't see it working.

I think it goes without saying that people shouldn't rip off the social welfare system (or the tax system for that matter) but I'm always suspicious of those who raise it as an issue especially if, like RTE, you cover it in a well-advertised investigation two days before a budget that was widely tipped to cut social welfare rates.

I'd find it very difficult to report anyone to the same authorities that have been shown time and time again to be more corrupt than we'll ever really know. I think I get your point about dealing with dealing with corruption and fraud from the bottom up, I just don't see it working.

Aren't you from Donegal Moose? I don't think I'd report anyone to the cops in Donegal either, in fairness. But really I can't see corruption and fraud EVER going away unless it's from the bottom up. People don't suddenly learn to be corrupt or to tolerate corruption when they get into positions of power, it's a societal thing

I think it goes without saying that people shouldn't rip off the social welfare system (or the tax system for that matter) but I'm always suspicious of those who raise it as an issue especially if, like RTE, you cover it in a well-advertised investigation two days before a budget that was widely tipped to cut social welfare rates.

Class war again dude. And the good guys are losing

Aren't you from Donegal Moose? I don't think I'd report anyone to the cops in Donegal either, in fairness. But really I can't see corruption and fraud EVER going away unless it's from the bottom up. People don't suddenly learn to be corrupt or to tolerate corruption when they get into positions of power, it's a societal thing

But as long as the people in power are corrupt then changing it from the bottom up is going to be impossible. Acceptance/tolerance of corruption is a whole different thing though which probably can be changed from the bottom up. I remember in school being chastised for not defending my team mates when they were obviously in the wrong in a case of handball or something, it didn't matter what actually happened just what team you were on. That's the kind of mentality we're dealing with.

Donegal isn't the only place where the guards/authorities seem to be wholly corrupt, look at the Murphy report for instance.

Class war again dude. And the good guys are losing

That's pretty much it right there.

The last thing I wanted was to turn this thread into a debate on the moral aspects of snitching. Egg, I don't agree with you, I think private citizens should mind there own business and the government do like wise, there is the old Henry Thomas Buckle quote “Society prepares the crime, the criminal commits it” If the authorities can't keep there windows closed their shit gets stolen.

Fiddling the system makes you a criminal, fair enough but snitching falls under a completely different code of morals and It's got nothing to do with class, gender race or any other bollox sub division anyone wants to mention.

So fuck this debate on morals, Form a "moral issues thread" and discuss it till you turn to dust like every other philosophical ape.

I do not in any way mean this post to sound hostile if it does I appologise, I feel like I accidentally lead us off the point here (for which I also appologise)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back