BREXIT (2 Viewers)

I would not dare to comment on Sean's lived experience of the English, he knows them far better than I do. He lives with them.

I just don't care for them, their unthinking intrusion into our lives and their self-regarding national myth.
That whole island could fuck off to the Faroes and I wouldn't miss it; a dying culture rammed up its own hole.

The feeling you probably have when they lose in the Euros? That's how I feel about them all the time.
How most of y'all feel about America? That's how I feel about the English.

Don't care about their election, or how many seats Starmer wins or doesn't. Am staggered daily at how much Irish people truly care.
I just hope his experience in Northern Ireland means good things for the future on our island.

Orwell talks about them being a gentle people. And he'd know.
One can learn a good deal about the spirit of England from the comic coloured postcards that you see in the windows of cheap stationers’ shops. These things are a sort of diary upon which the English people have unconsciously recorded themselves. Their old-fashioned outlook, their graded snobberies, their mixture of bawdiness and hypocrisy, their extreme gentleness, their deeply moral attitude to life, are all mirrored there.

The gentleness of the English civilization is perhaps its most marked characteristic. You notice it the instant you set foot on English soil. It is a land where the bus conductors are good-tempered and the policemen carry no revolvers. In no country inhabited by white men is it easier to shove people off the pavement.

But he also talks about the contradiction at the heart of Englishness. One he lived as a cop in India.

With one part of my mind I thought of the British Raj as an unbreakable tyranny, as something clamped down, in saecula saeculorum, upon the will of prostrate peoples; with another part I thought that the greatest joy in the world would be to drive a bayonet into a Buddhist priest’s guts. Feelings like these are the normal by-products of imperialism; ask any Anglo-Indian official, if you can catch him off duty.

That's who they are for me.
Ordinary decent blokes, secretly proud they slaughtered their way around the world.

Sorry for going on, but you know what I'm like.

Looks like the DUP lose three seats one each to the TUV UUP and Alliance.
Otherwise it stays the same I guess Alliance taking Lagan Valley is the biggest change.
Jim Allister in the parliament though I suppose he will fit in there I find him a little hilarious tbh.

Last edited:
So far, if you add the Tory and reform votes together, they got more than labour. What a fucked up system. Green party on course for about 0.6% of the seats with nearly 7% of the vote.

So far, if you add the Tory and reform votes together, they got more than labour. What a fucked up system. Green party on course for about 0.6% of the seats with nearly 7% of the vote.
On that note, labour have gone from a disastrous election to an historic victory by increasing their vote share from 32.2% to 33.9%

just looking at the results for each of the popular parties; all percentages are absolute, not relative;

labour more than doubled their seats based on a 1.7% swing to them.

tories lost more than two thirds based on a 20% swing away.

lib dems have ten times as many seats based on a 0.7% swing to them. probably the most representative party, 11% of the seats based on 12% of the vote.

reform - did better in popular vote than LD, but have 0.6% of the seats based on 14% of the vote (!)

greens; 0.6% of the seats based on 7% of the vote.

SNP, a 75% collapse in seat count based on a 1.2% drop in votes (a relative drop of one third in the votes)

what an absurd system.

just looking at the results for each of the popular parties; all percentages are absolute, not relative;

labour more than doubled their seats based on a 1.7% swing to them.

tories lost more than two thirds based on a 20% swing away.

lib dems have ten times as many seats based on a 0.7% swing to them. probably the most representative party, 11% of the seats based on 12% of the vote.

reform - did better in popular vote than LD, but have 0.6% of the seats based on 14% of the vote (!)

greens; 0.6% of the seats based on 7% of the vote.

SNP, a 75% collapse in seat count based on a 1.2% drop in votes (a relative drop of one third in the votes)

what an absurd system.

Just a massively unsophisticated way to do it.

i guess we can expect the tories to swing right to try to gobble up some of the ground they lost to Reform.

Rees Mogg has already been talking today about the 2 right wing parties needing to unify.

Somewhat surprised that it was labour who took his seat as I perceive the Lib Dems as the main Tory challengers in that part of England.

Looks like the DUP lose three seats one each to the TUV UUP and Alliance.
Otherwise it stays the same I guess Alliance taking Lagan Valley is the biggest change.
Jim Allister in the parliament though I suppose he will fit in there I find him a little hilarious tbh.
With Alex Easton getting in it's kind of as your were. It's just another further drift to the hardline for Unionism.
Bad day for the DUP, but the larger drift is from UUP to DUP to TUV.
Still 8 Unionist seats by my count. As you were.

Joke shop

The standout to me is east derry - while i was won by the DUP, the margin was less than 1% - It's come up unionist this time, but that's the one that could actually show a change in the splits.

1720182135818.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back