BREXIT (2 Viewers)

Was having a quiet grumble to myself about Claire Byrne having a whole piece on the UK post office scandal - like why is this on Irish fucking radio. That deal when something bothers one of your bugbears.

Then the news dropped about this election and realised RTE is going to be extra tanphilic for the next 6 weeks.

I had it so good with just the post office thing.

Was having a quiet grumble to myself about Claire Byrne having a whole piece on the UK post office scandal - like why is this on Irish fucking radio. That deal when something bothers one of your bugbears.

Then the news dropped about this election and realised RTE is going to be extra tanphilic for the next 6 weeks.

I had it so good with just the post office thing.
I saw the headline, and thought “@deadmanposting wont be happy about this”

I didn't know anything about it until I was accosted by some journalists with a camera at about 18:00.

I was outside Westminster tube station. I demured to the offer of a voxpop.

Also:

Attachments

• IMG-20240522-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240522-WA0001.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
Not to get too tinfoil hat about it, but everything the Tories are doing seems designed to ensure a loss. It’s almost too obvious. From calling for the election in the middle of holiday season, to the ‘sinking ship’ thing in Belfast, to Sunak taking a breather two days into the campaign, to this (although I grant you, this one might draw out the ‘kids today…’ crowd).

It's not exactly going to attract floating voters, is it? The 'bring back national service' crowd are already Tory voters I'd say, or people who don't think the Tories are right wing enough.

Just thinking though, it'd possibly be a canny move by labour or the lib Dems to release figures on how many of their MPs got involved in volunteering or community service or the like (which is what this national service is being portrayed as) before they became involved in politics, and asked would the Tories do the same.

Think that is a real issue for the British Army out side of the election though. There are not too many people interested in joining.

we’re going to end up in a weird situation of a government that begins office with a colossal majority and which, at the same time, nobody is happy with. everyone knows in advance that it’s going to be the triumph of the middle managers. as strange as it is to think of now, the blair of 1997 was viewed by many as an inspirational leader and a transformative figure. nobody thinks of starmer like that.

these people are so deeply stuck in their end-of-history 1990s-replay loop that I wouldn’t be surprised if they simply roped in actual oasis all over again
The Oasis bros hate Blair for the last 20 years and Noel is on record as saying they were muppets who were conned by New Labour.
Starmer is even worse than Blair and doesn't try to disguise it. Fuck all difference between him and Tories.
That was said about New Labour but now it more true than ever.

Using 'antisemitism' as an excuse to purge the left wing of Labour even involved spying on party members and telling elderly Jewish members who lost family in the Holocaust that they were being investigated for 'antisemitism'.

There was a three (hour) part Al Jazeera doc. on this about 2+ years ago based on leaked documents. Truly shocking stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back