BREXIT (10 Viewers)

I had to laugh at a piece the Guardian ran over the weekend about Ebww Vale in Wales. One of the highest proportion of leave votes in Wales (if not Britain), and also the recipient of the largest amount of EU funding for infrastructure and amenities. If someone wants to suggest to me that they've done the right thing, then please, enlighten me as to why.

People may not want to worship a golden calf 24/7. That is to say they might not necessarily consider money to be there one true and only god. Also the preists of the calf, Europe should belong to a handfull of bankers who have the right to liquidate buy and resell it as they please ad infinitum? To many important political postions in the EU are held by people with big conections to private financial sectors. An eviction this year is not really any differnt to one that happend three centuaries ago it is the same old games that get played out over and over. And the big losers after brexit were the wealthiest it is they who lost billions over night and it is they who can eat a slice of cake !

CklBPhNWgAAZmxD.jpg

Also the preists of the calf, Europe should belong to a handfull of bankers who have the right to liquidate buy and resell it as they please ad infinitum? To many important political postions in the EU are held by people with big conections to private financial sectors.

yeah, and thats a tough one for a lot of people (myself included). However, thats capitalism. England is a capitalist society and however much you hate captialism, or however desparately you don't want to be part of a capitalist society, changing something thats so deeply ingrained (its all they have ever known really) is impossible.

At best, they'll swap one form of capitalism for another. With the new one comes the added risk that they'll be reckless and dictatorial, without having Brussels to reign them in.

Basically, it'll be a case of 'as you were' for the disaffected working classes, but there'll be a whole other pile of bad shit thrown in for good measure.

watch the video on there

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

unbelievable. I hadn't even heard of Hanna before last weekend. He hasn't a clue whats going on.

Weird that the Bullingdon Club may have done more for Irish unity in 4 months than the IRA managed in 30 years of armed struggle.

I can now clearly understand how World War I happened.

got attacked on twitter yesterday by a has-been 90s comedian. At first I thought he'd gotten the wrong person. His tweet was 'Took any in yet? Doubt it. Look at me, look at me. Donut.'

I hadn't a clue what he was on about. Then I realised he was probably responding to a 'Refugees Welcome' image I have as part of my profile.

I thought it was a bit out of line tbh.

I also responded to a tweet by Peter Sutherland. His tweet was something along the lines of 'there has to be a second referendum'. My response was saying, basically, that I couldn't see it happening, that despite there being some public will for one, there doesn't seem to be any leading figure stepping up to lead a campaign for one. Some guy responded to me with; 'no there isn't. There's just a lot of noise coming from a privileged class not used to not getting their way.'

I thought my tweet was kind of benign, so its kind of disturbing the amount of people that responded in agreement with yer man, or even that came along to favourite or retweet him.

When we had the marriage equality referendum there was so much hate and nastiness that surfaces by the 'No' brigade. They engaged in the typical scaremongering you'd expect from those organisations. But, once it was all done and dusted they seemed to climb back into whatever holes they crawled out of.

The residual hatred and anger after this referendum is utterly terrifying. And I really don't know how they'll resolve it. One the one side you have those who are (rightly) protective of a democratic decision that was made by the people. Democracy is a sacred thing and, IMO, it must be honoured. If the will of the people were reneged on (without good reason), this section of society will voice their displeasure in the most extreme way (riots, basically).

On the other side you have those who feel they were sold a pup. That their country, as they know it, faces, at best, turmoil, at worst, extinction. All because of the vanity and egoes of a handful of upper-class snobs who seem totally out-of-touch with reality. That they were lied to. That an injustice has been done in how this whole campaign was conducted. And this side are more than justified in their opinions too.

The only way both sides can be appeased would be for the EU to grant Boris Johnson what he wants. EU privileges without EU rules.

And we all know that is not going to happen.

By the way, does anyone else feel that the government are starting a bit of flag flying here by subtly introducing the idea that Ireland could consider our position in the EU if certain things happen?

The first one I'd heard was Brian Hayes mentioning it, were our corporation tax rate to be cut.

Then there was some rumblings yesterday after the ruling on water charges needing to be maintained.

I can see this being a thing. I can't see Ireland leaving the EU but it would not surprise me in the least if the government here go into arse-licking overdrive - on the one hand trying to keep Britain sweet (by knocking the EU and by being supportive of their decison), and on the other trying to keep the EU sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back