BREXIT (5 Viewers)

Sour grapes.
72% turnout is a touch over twice the turnout in the UK for the 2014 European elections and beats the average EU turnout in every election for the same.
The petition that matters was on Thursday, the rest is pissing in the wind.

wrong, wrong and wrong. This is genius. They've taken Farage's own comments about contesting the result if it was less than 2%, and are using them to their own end.

Yes, it may come to nought, but its clever as fuck. And further highlights what an absolute clown Farage is.

Lads in the UK, did they not have an independent referendum commission sending an "In or Out" fact sheet and stuff in the post? All I'm reading now is dumbasses complaining about being lied to by Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson. Fucking d'uh.
I don't know the answer to this but I'd guess theres more than a little remorse among the remain people that they didn't do more to leave the campaign (ala the 'Yes Equality' people here in our last referendum). If they can get a miracle to happen and rerun this, I'd hope they wouldn't make that mistake again.

some papers claming today that 7% of brexit voters would vote differently in a second referendum. 4% of remain would do likewise.

Another thing I found interesting. A straw poll of 50 revellers at glastonbury were quizzed on their opinions.

29 voted remain
21 didn't vote. Of the 21, 20 said they'd vote remain. 1 said she'd vote leave and that she thought there'd be a polling station at glastonbury (and brought her polling card).

significant only insofar as this is the demographic that will arguably be most negatively impacted by the decison.

How much do polls tell though can the be considerd acurate ? Also some people didnt vote whos decsion was that ? They would somehow be bothered to do it the next time ? Or a few million online petiton is going to overturn it ?

The whole EU thing never sat well with the Brits anyway. Its like in work,when you see someone who was in charge, and then someone who was "beneath them" is promoted above them and they have to take orders. It sticks in the craw.

wrong, wrong and wrong. This is genius. They've taken Farage's own comments about contesting the result if it was less than 2%, and are using them to their own end.

Yes, it may come to nought, but its clever as fuck. And further highlights what an absolute clown Farage is.

What exactly is wrong with what I said?
I would imagine the majority of signatories to this petition are those who voted/would have voted to remain, that they want a rerun because they lost would seem to be the very definition of sour grapes.
The numbers I cited still stand.

You set a low bar for genius.

Farage came from nowhere and has led Britain out of Europe as was his desire, you may not like it but he's certainly no clown.

Not everyone who disagrees with open borders is a racist
Not everyone who is for traditional marriage is a homophobe
Not everyone against abortion is a misogynist
There are plenty who are, but the temptation to paint everyone on the other side as bigoted, evil or stupid is as reductive as it is useless.

We all get a vote and they all count. If you want to change minds, engaging with people and their concerns will always get better results than dismissing them as unworthy and calling for a denial of their rights.
These attitudes are part of why people push back against politicians and experts.

It's a godawful result, to my view.
But 51% of the population are not hoodwinked olds or spiteful working class troglodytes.

David Cameron called a stupid referendum for expediency's sake and Jeremy Corbyn went AWOL when his constituency needed an advocate for their cause.

When you're grasping a straws, social media is always going to throw up things like regretful voter interviews and they are catnip when you want a different result.
But it's all part of an echo chamber. Plenty of people who never heard of Twitter have a vote.

A second referendum should be as laughable as it was if Boris wanted it.

Politics is not football teams, where you're oh so brilliant and the other team's supporters are irredeemable cunts.

A second referendum should be as laughable as it was if Boris wanted it.

its as laughable as what Boris is saying today. He wants access to the open market in a business-as-usual fashion. He wants freedom of movement for Brits around the eurozone, but he wants to limit freedom of movement for non-Brits into Britain.

Its fair to say what constitutes being laughable has vastly changed in the past week. It really is hard to tell the difference between satirical headlines and those that are actually serious.

If 51% of Brits voted out of the EU, good on them. They have spoken, and the government need to consider their wishes. However, the outcome of the vote is no more legally binding than if 51% of Irish people voted to join the Warsaw pact.

Not only have Britain created a world of shit for themselves, the size of which, I don't think they fully appreciate, they will mostly likely have to rely on someone who can probably barely tie his shoelaces, to resolve the situation.

And no, 51% of people are not idiots. However, a substantial portion of that 51% have admitted they didn't have a clue what they were voting on. A substantial portion are racists who voted because they believe it will stop immigration (it clearly won't). The will of the majority of fair-minded Brits was not represented here.

I had to laugh at a piece the Guardian ran over the weekend about Ebww Vale in Wales. One of the highest proportion of leave votes in Wales (if not Britain), and also the recipient of the largest amount of EU funding for infrastructure and amenities. If someone wants to suggest to me that they've done the right thing, then please, enlighten me as to why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back