BREXIT (13 Viewers)

Seeing some pretty grim stuff on Facebook, but have to be conscious that the sensationalist stuff always gets top billing.

The leave lads are really trying to put the skids on. They haven't a clue what they are at. It's a mess.

One thing that the marriage equality referendum in Ireland had was a sense of urgency among the young to vote. Remember all the people flying home to vote etc.

I saw none of the same urgency in the Remain camp.

The fact that there are 1.2 M Brits working abroad who'll have to come home was never a major talking point. The fact that young Brits would be denied the opportunity to work in Europe was never a talking point.

Perhaps it's our emigrant past - but I don't think Ireland or it's youth would have gambled with the right to free movement so blithely.

The most disappointing thing about the whole fiasco for me is Corbyn. I was so enthused to have a proper, non Blairite, labour leader. Now I think he has to go. Were his detractors right all along? He seems to have been completely incapable of grasping the gravity of what was at stake. At least Cameron could see that much.

Chart of the day: Brexit would have turned out very differently if kids turned out to vote

I can't find a way to upload just the chart from this blog.
It'll make you weep.

Great chart. The turnout of 18-24 year olds appears to be the crux

blog_brexit_referendum_age_0.jpg

One thing that the marriage equality referendum in Ireland had was a sense of urgency among the young to vote. Remember all the people flying home to vote etc.

I saw none of the same urgency in the Remain camp.

The fact that there are 1.2 M Brits working abroad who'll have to come home was never a major talking point. The fact that young Brits would be denied the opportunity to work in Europe was never a talking point.

Perhaps it's our emigrant past - but I don't think Ireland or it's youth would have gambled with the right to free movement so blithely.

This occurred to me too. But, remember, we did vote against Lisbon, and that was very much a protest vote.

A major difference between that referendum (and the Brexit referendum) and the marriage equality referendum, is that the campaign was not left to politicians to run. People have an inherent mistrust of politicians, and regardless the issue, a sizeable amount will always go against them out of protest.

Its a major failing of the remain camp that a non-politicial body didn't take center stage, in the same way that the Yes Equality movement did here. That movement presented the template for how these things should be campaigned for. They spoke to, and appealed directly to the younger voter, and reached other demographics via the younger voter (tell your parents, grandparents, etc).

It really is a missed opportunity.

However, the outcome of the vote is no more legally binding than if 51% of Irish people voted to join the Warsaw pact.

The will of the majority of fair-minded Brits was not represented here.

It may not be legally binding but it would take a brave/foolish government to disregard that vote.

If 'fair-minded Brits' didn't bother themselves to vote they've only themselves to blame that they lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back