BREXIT (2 Viewers)

Making out that Dominic Cummings is some sort of political savant is irresponsible. There are numerous reasons why Britain voted to Leave, so suggesting it was predominantly the work of a some twisted genius and his gang of Data Scientists is reducing the causes in to single, comic-book entity.
There's a serious problem with representative democracy in the UK - and there has been for decades, if not centuries.
The Leave campaign was fundamentally corrupt and those who funded it and lead it are dangerous individuals. However simply uncovering the villains and then going back to normal isn't going to work.

That's the bonkers bit. Right wingers calling a pro-immigration MP a fascist. Do they just parrot what they hear on social media?
It's a weird situation, she's a Tory MP right? So she probably is a fascist, but clearly not fascist enough for these lads. There'd be an irony of this being the result years of Tory cutbacks and privatisation coming back to haunt them but it's too fucking depressing (and racist.)

Maybe its because i have slept 7 hours in the last two days, but i am completely lost with what is going on now.

So...
There is a big Westminster vote next Tuesday (15th). MPs are being asked if they approve of the Withdrawal Agreement. This is the "meaningful vote". Originally this meaningful vote was meant to happen before Christmas, but because there seemed to be so much opposition to it, Theresa May postponed it until January.

The original plan that May had was that another vote on this Agreement couldn't happen for another 21 working days - basically some time in mid-February, when it'd be too late to get any amendments etc. She was teeing up this vote on Tuesday 15th to be between the Withdrawal Agreement or "No Deal".

Dominic Grieve, a Tory MP who used to be the Attorney General (the main legal guy in government), put forward a motion that, if the Withdrawal Agreement was voted down next Tuesday, the UK government would have 3 days to come back with an alternative.

Ordinarily Parliament don't amend "government business" - which this 21 day delay was part of. However the Speaker of the House, John Bercow, decided to break with precedence and allowed a vote on Grieve's amendment. The House voted in favour of this... so... if Westminster rejects the Withdrawal Agreement on Tuesday, Theresa May's government has to come back to parliament three days later (i.e. by next Friday) with a new proposal.

It's looking like this new proposal will include clauses where the Stormont Assembly and/or Westminster has a veto over this "backstop" - the guarantee that there will be no hard border in Ireland (that is, the UK effectively remaining in the EU customs union... although it's actually the single market which allows a harmonisation of regulations - particularly around food).
Now... the DUP are going to reject anything and everything. They simply don't want this backstop at all.
However... this promise for a British veto over the Backstop... and/or a time limit (i.e. a year) for the backstop... should win over a good few Tory MPs... meaning the Withdrawal Agreement would pass.

In saying that... the EU (that's Ireland now)... will absolutely not agree to any British parliament or assembly having a veto over the backstop.

It's all over the place... no one really knows what's going on....

My advice... buy tin openers.

So will there be another vote in a No Deal scenario, or is no deal now just not that likely?

Corbyn seems to be playing silly buggers in all of this. Is that just good politics or is he really just a shit?

So will there be another vote in a No Deal scenario, or is no deal now just not that likely?

Corbyn seems to be playing silly buggers in all of this. Is that just good politics or is he really just a shit?
Labour said they will call a vote of no confidence if the vote on the deal is defeated. It will likely lead to a general election.

It's hard to see how it will play out. Almost certainly, they won't be leaving by March 29th. Corbyn is talking about negotiating a 'better' deal but proceeding with Brexit, whereas the rest of Labour want a second referendum. Labour need to eject that gobshite and put someone with a bit of common sense, in charge.

A 'hard brexit' is very unlikely ever to happen.

The last thing labour need is someone with "common sense" since it's years of that kind of thinking that got us here in the first place. Have Labour actually polled its members on what they want? Can I see the results of the poll anywhere?

Can't decide which style of Remoaner Brexit tweet I hate more: the "man who voted for the letting yourself be shot in the face party surprised at being shot in the face" or the "delightful scenes at the pret a manger today when a centrist mummy told the barista her name was "Stop Brexit" and everyone cheered. tally ho!".

Exhibit A:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Exhibit B:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back