biryani (1 Viewer)

Got this from the bbc food website. It's from ready steady cook and doesn't seem too bad. I'm sure you could replace the turkey with whatever you want.

Turkey escalope with biryani
166.jpg
3.jpg

t.gif
by Antony Worrall Thompson
from Ready Steady Cook

Serves 1
Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 10 to 30 mins
quick_icon.gif
t.gif

Ingredients
For the escalope
1 turkey steak
55g/2oz plain flour
2 eggs, beaten
55g/2oz white breadcrumbs
1 tbsp olive oil
For the biryani
55g/2oz rice
1 chicken stock cube
pinch of chilli flakes
pinch of coriander seeds
pinch of dried oregano
pinch of turmeric
pinch of cumin seeds
few cardamom pods

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
2. To make the biryani, bring an ovenproof pan of water to the boil and add the rice. Crumble in the stock cube, stirring to dissolve.
3. Add the chilli flakes, coriander seeds, oregano, turmeric, cumin seeds and cardamom pods to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes.
4. Stir in the butter and then cover with greaseproof paper. Place in the oven and cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, place the turkey steak on a flat surface and, using a meat mallet, bash out to flatten.
6. Coat the escalope in the flour, then dip in the eggs and finally evenly coat in the breadcrumbs.
7. Using a sharp knife, carefully criss-cross the steak.
8. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the turkey for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until thoroughly cooked through.
9. To serve, remove the biryani from the oven and transfer to a serving plate. Serve the turkey escalope alongside.

there's a deadly asian food market by the spar on mary street. they have different spice mixes for biriyani dishes (all the corriander, bay leaf, cumin, etc). you prepare the meat/veg and rice and add the mix at a certain point. it's kinda cheating i guess, but it's well tasty. be warned though, don't season till you've tasted it, when it's nearly done. there have salt in the spice mix too.

there's a deadly asian food market by the spar on mary street. they have different spice mixes for biriyani dishes (all the corriander, bay leaf, cumin, etc). you prepare the meat/veg and rice and add the mix at a certain point. it's kinda cheating i guess, but it's well tasty. be warned though, don't season till you've tasted it, when it's nearly done. there have salt in the spice mix too.

cool. i like cheating

That Asian market is great. That biryani mix sounds good.

I've done it with the mixes and without.

The mixed are good but sometimes can be fair hot.

It's not difficult to make yourself the only real problem is being accurate with the proportions so that when the rice is cooked it is dry and you dont have a shitty basmati risotto on your hands.

I had a file somewhere with squillions of indian recipies on it - I'll see if I can dig it up.

a pakistani engineer guy that used to work here brought a huge pot of it to work one friday for everyone in the office to taste. it was amazingly good.
he got the sack since.

maybe we should have kept him on as a chef/dinner lady?

i going to make this today. i'm off ingredients shopping now. i have two recipes - one for the ingredients and the other for the method!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back