best area to live in Dublin? (3 Viewers)

Northside

Nice:
Clontarf
Howth
Sutton
Glasnevin
Griffith Avenue
Home farm Rd area
Drumcondra from Quinns to Collins avenue avoid richmond rd and clonliffe rd.

Ok Places-not too rough

Marino- the bits beside clontarf are nice
Santry- some bad parts
Beaumont- some bad parts
Parts of Coolock but most is plebesville
Parts of Fairview but not really

My least favourite place to live on NS would be phisborough/north circular rd area its cheap to rent and has nice shops but Its depressing!

Didnt bother mention the rough areas cause their famous enough already.

I think East Wall/North Stand Rd is the best place i've ever lived. I've been in dublin for years and i always find myself coming back to that area of town. Sure there may be a few murders now and then, my mates car got burnt out the other day, and the kids are monsters but on the whole its great. Only 15min walk from town, the rent is cheap, nice bars and great off-licences. I've never ever had any hassle there at all.

I think East Wall/North Stand Rd is the best place i've ever lived. I've been in dublin for years and i always find myself coming back to that area of town. Sure there may be a few murders now and then, my mates car got burnt out the other day, and the kids are monsters but on the whole its great. Only 15min walk from town, the rent is cheap, nice bars and great off-licences. I've never ever had any hassle there at all.

What makes a great off licence?
Martins in Fairview is decent I guess.

I only ever lived northside in Dublin.

Stoneybatter:
memory to clouded by the good times... Didn't take advantage of it the way I should have. Closeness to the park etc.

Summerhill:
Ultra close to town, very quiet, felt secure (!),
Cons: all the local shops were a total RIP OFF.

Nth Gt George's St: Super central, posh address
Cons: noisey all the time, weekends were a nightmare for drunks.

I've only ever lived on the Northside.
Finglas-Most of it is really nice, close community, lots of supermarkets and small shops, quick commute into town.
Ballymun (the towers)- Hellhole
O'Devaney- not somewhere I'd have liked to live without having family there, gets worse each year.
Arbour hill- Close to town and very friendly locals, red light district though.
Blanchardstown- Most of it isn't too bad, no major problems in a while, takes an hour to get into town on the bus.

drumcondra is a nightmare during the gaa season and just plain shit the rest of the time. i will never live there again. i didnt mind living in raheny when i was there but wouldnt recommend it. i really liked living in harolds cross, i'd like to go back to that part of town.

Best places I've lived were Christchurch (deadly, central location...if you don't mind junkies and church bells), off Camden St (again great location...if you don't mind there being puke and glass everywhere on weekend mornings), Donnybrook (nice house, deadly offy, and you could always have a laugh at the state of the velociraptors going to Wesley) and Harold's Cross (if for the smoking area in Peggy Kelly's alone...oh and also my neighbours - hi catwoman:)).

Worst places were Dun Laoghaire (just too bloody far out and I lived in a house populated with weirdos and criminal scumbags) and Mount St (*totally* dead in the evenings and on weekends, also the tap water was undrinkable).

Currently in Ballsbridge. It's to be recommended so far.

I should point out that my bike is far too shit for anyone to want to rob it and so I can't comment on the levels of bike thievery in any of these areas.

There was someone interviewed in the Irish Times magazine a while ago whose bike(s) had been nicked four times from their house in Stoneybatter. Despite this they couldn't stop waxing lyrical about the salt of the earth locals ("they only stole it for a laugh" :rolleyes:), the sense of community etc.

FUCK that shit. The feral youth of the 'batter have no respect for you, your bike, your car, your person. Or themselves, for that matter, or they'd behave better. Lets not talk about their parents. Add the poo that's always on the streets and it should be a shite place to live (pun intended).

But I like it a lot: we've lived here for over five years and you just have to keep in mind that it's the inner city, it's rough. It's urban villagey, you're right by Smithfield and a ten minute walk into town or the park; the museum is up the road and there are loads of services and shops. There are worse places to live, but I'd probably decamp back to Drumcondra happily.

Templeogue: Just amazing, can't say enough good things about it. Easy to avoid people. Great for dinners. Nice back garden, free Sky Sports, all my old Shoots, World Soccers and Roy of the Rovers. Feck all rent.
Central heating always on.

Drimnagh: A bit murdery. Close to Richmond Park for some ball and to St. James' Hospital for any heart complaints. Bad for grub. Awkward/slow for getting into town. Hub caps stolen.

Milltown: Lovely. Dropping Well. Absence of neighbourly spirit. Evil presence. Houses where football ground should be. Excellent Spar. Needs a take-away. Luxury Luas access. Balcony. Clean apartment for some reason.

Terenure: Top-notch location. Plenty of pubs. Frequent buses going in every direction imaginable. Short stroll to Rathgar for excellent grub and more pubs. Danger cat. Parking troublesome. Ugly apartment. Pigeons.

Portobello

Pros: close to town, nice to look at, posh
Cons: jews

it's not all posh. it's works out well though coz it's got people who want to rob stuff and people who've got stuff that's worth taking.

seriously though, i would recommend portobello.

Coolmine

Pros:
train station with 15 minute journey to city centre
near blanch centre
not as stabby as the surrounding area

Cons:
getting back from town takes an hour at night
it's all a bit dreary and lifeless
blanch centre is a bit rubbish really

I live in Stoneybatter and have always kinda lived in that general area since i was a kid (a few odd years elsewhere). I have never had any hassle at all. I have even left my car unlocked with all my drums in it from Sunday to Thursday and it wasnt touched. Also theres alot more happening in the area now with the Joinery Gallery, the National Museum, Lilliput Stores (Gorgeous food shop), Plan B (amazing restruant). I dont wanna have to buy a house, coz it means moving out of Stoneybatter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back