best area to live in Dublin? (1 Viewer)

Sweetie

Website
www.sleepthieves.net
any suggestions? Can we compile a list of positives and negatives?

From past experiences -

Marino - very nice, very quiet but you get stones thrown at you when you cycle/get the bus home from town...not so nice.

Dolphins Barn - lots of old style community spirit, established community watch (of a kind/twitching curtains) run by the matriarchs of the area, but car still broken into 3 times, not much respect for animals/people/private property.

Rathgar - now that I look back it was pretty great for the price, but far from town and work. Seemed to rain alot that year.

Stoneybatter - nice village feel, Lilliput is great, but car vandalised constantly....anyone else have experience of Stoneybatter? What streets are the safest for car parking?

Drumcondra - felt like the heart of everything when I lived there, so close to town (but you have to walk down Dorset St = eggs thrown, aggression, bored chilren), seems to be seeing a bit of a rejuvenation (new delhis/cafes) but you have to put up with hoards of GAA fans every other Sunday in the Summer.

Blackpitts / Tenters (off clanbrassil st / SCR)
positive - 10 minute walk to town, parking, quiet, bold boys arent
around as much anymore, busses, LIDL / Superquinn are both a
short drive away (depending on how poor/posh you are)

negative - neilo, secret warehouse mosque full of terrorists (was in
the evening herald once)

any suggestions? Can we compile a list of positives and negatives?

From past experiences -

Marino - very nice, very quiet but you get stones thrown at you when you cycle/get the bus home from town...not so nice.

Dolphins Barn - lots of old style community spirit, established community watch (of a kind/twitching curtains) run by the matriarchs of the area, but car still broken into 3 times, not much respect for animals/people/private property.

Rathgar - now that I look back it was pretty great for the price, but far from town and work. Seemed to rain alot that year.

Stoneybatter - nice village feel, Lilliput is great, but car vandalised constantly....anyone else have experience of Stoneybatter? What streets are the safest for car parking?

Drumcondra - felt like the heart of everything when I lived there, so close to town (but you have to walk down Dorset St = eggs thrown, aggression, bored chilren), seems to be seeing a bit of a rejuvenation (new delhis/cafes) but you have to put up with hoards of GAA fans every other Sunday in the Summer.

Are you the unluckiest person in the world?

my estate:

pros: looks like a holiday village
me

cons:
other people

i can recommend Crumlin.
10mins into town on bus
Kids friendly and people smile at you.
a good few parks for dog walking and the like.
shops are close by(2 superquins, 2 dunnes, 1 tesco, plus loads of small shops)
Never had car or van touched.
Neighbors are sound.
Local pubs are decent.

this message is brought to you by Visit Crumlin

Stoneybatter seems to be the capital of the world for bicycle theft.

There was someone interviewed in the Irish Times magazine a while ago whose bike(s) had been nicked four times from their house in Stoneybatter. Despite this they couldn't stop waxing lyrical about the salt of the earth locals ("they only stole it for a laugh" :rolleyes:), the sense of community etc.

being a culchie who moved up to dublin around 2001, I have always lived on the southside, not really necessarily a conscious decision just found nicer places down this way. Always lived around harolds x/kimmage/rathmines/rathgar/ranelagh/milltown.

Any of the above places bar milltown were fucking excellent.

having lived in Dublin my entire life (more or less) it's odd that I really have no idea where's a good area to live

I live in baldoyle:

pros:
On the DART line
affordable
lots of shops and schools
Burrow beach
Howth for beer and fish&chips
Malahide park

Cons:
Graingers
boy racers

Drimnagh -- Cheap but my place was kind of cold and there was nothing around, which made it very boring. The 123/122 were handy for town but the redline was a pain in the ass. No good markets around. I did have a back garden with actual grass though. I kind of miss that.

Miltown -- Easy to get to work on the greenline. A bit too far to walk to work (because I like to sleep in). Great/modern place with balcony but no sense of knowing your neighbours. It took a bit off effort to go into town at night because it would require a taxi home. Ranalagh was a about a 20 minute walk which was a plus.

IFSC -- Complete shit. Cold. No one around but the kids from Sheriff's street and shitty dance clubs on the weekends holding 21st. The only plus was the harbourmaster and being closer to a friend's place. Oh and a super quick commute to work. It was an overpriced piece of crap place that was dark and depressing though.

Portobello/Rathmines -- Best place I've lived yet although I go out more than I should because everything is so close. Easy to keep entertained on a weekend with out going into to town, markets and all other amenities close by. I can walk everywhere practically. My bike was stolen though.

the last few places i have lived

ranelagh

good: never got any hassle, good pubs
bad: full of rich cunts, michael mcdowell

rathfarnham

good: close to parks, mountains, etc. very little hassle
bad: miles from anywhere, nosey suburban neighbours

phibsborough

good: real close to town & shops, good buzz in the area
bad: bikes nicked out of our barbed wire-fenced back garden

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back