Berlin 'day trip' help (1 Viewer)

Now I have another question. Specifically found a hostel for quite cheap on Spandauer Damm which is in the Charlottenburg area. How far away from the city centre is it? Because I tried on google maps to see from there to the Reichstag and Brandeburg Gate and it tells me 15 minutes, but no idea of where exactly is Berlin city centre.

Cormo is right. Treptauer Park, specifically the Soviet war memorial is awesome. It also on the S Bahn circle line, so it's a good way to do a 'city tour' for free outside of the normal touristic stuff. There is no real city centre, depends what you are into or what you consider 'cool'.

Cormo is right. Treptauer Park, specifically the Soviet war memorial is awesome.

lizzy-at-treptow.jpg

treptowemorial.jpg

sovmemorial_lg.jpg

DRAAAAAAAAGOOOOOOOO!

This would have been very good advice a year and a half ago. Even though I probably would have drank all my money before getting to Berlin.

Anyway, cheers, will try to use the TV tower as indicative of the city centre. Just don't want to spend more than 12 euros a night for a bloody hostel.

Stay in the Kopi and you'll not only save 12 euros, but you'll also be able to regale younger punks in years to come with tales of night-time ratting expeditions and your adventures avoiding Polish wagenplatz speed-nazis.

Fuck, didn't think about that! I remember Kev Bones saying that Kopi was quite good, but for some reason I was under the impression it had been evicted. Was I horribly lied to and misled?

Do this:

just go drinking in fischladen everynight and don't see any sights

Don't do this:

Stay in the Kopi and you'll not only save 12 euros, but you'll also be able to regale younger punks in years to come with tales of night-time ratting expeditions and your adventures avoiding Polish wagenplatz speed-nazis.

unless you are a Polar Bear or some other blubber covered artic dwelling mammal They brew their own distinct brand of cold in the Kopi. It's colder than your average cold.

was in the kopi last tuesday night at a gig and funnily enough did spy one of them hairy seal rats.wagon platz was quiet enough surprisingly.alternative tour of berlin was great,it took in an ex squatted train depot in that area north of kruesberg.theres a massive indoor skate park in it so my son rarely left the place all week.5 euro and u can skate from 10 in morn til midnight.good punk karaokee in bar local mitte district.and id recommend a tour of the flack tower at humbolthain pk. wedding district if ur into your ww2 history.loads to do but wrap up well cus its fucking baltic over there at the moment.and treptow park is amazing ,theres an abandoned fair ground further down in spree pk.

Big into my WW2 history so will check out Wedding.

But how cold is it? Because I know here in Warsaw is just too fucking cold, but it would be good to have an idea just to know what to pack.

Pack Blubber. Lots of Blubber. At the moment it's 3-5 degrees but expect heavy rain (according to the bbc). My experiences of Rain in Berlin have been mostly during the summer/ early autumn and when they say heavy they mean heavy much like the rain in ireland it varies between instant flood and constant downpour. Though thankfully I didn't see much in the way of drizzle which is the most disheartening when doing tourist stuff in 3 degrees. One of my mates that lives there said that the freezing cold rain is the worst thing about the place and that once it freezes it's much better because it's a constant dry cold with some snow for the rest of the winter. in short a warm waterproof coat, long johns, Boots and many pairs of socks. a lot of the coolest places (clubs/venues/bars) there seem to have little or no heating in them so be warned.

I Johned up for the first time today my flat was freezing. I'll not be johnless til march, thankfully i now have about 8 pairs though so they can be rotated amply thermal vests are good but you sweat like a freak.

Ah that is perfect info! At least got the consolation of Berlin being slightly warmer than here.

if you're ever there in summer go to the lakes outside the city. you can put ur bike on a train and cycle out to them. i swam to lovely islands full of birds and ate pickles after. mmmmm

Right, seems that most people I am going to Berling with are going to do their own thing, so at this stage all suggestions are fair game.

And yes, I hope to go to Berlin again this summer. So in this context the question would be if you'd suggest camping at those lakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back