Bank Of Ireland's new charges - is anyone jumping ship? (1 Viewer)

I wanted to close my AIB account with credit card. They told me there's a "government charge" of 30 euro to do this. Is that right? It's not the annual credit card 30 euro fee. It's a closing fee. Anyone?

The €30 figure sounds correct for the annual government stamp duty charge (ATM card = €10, CC = €20) but the rest appears to be misinformation. Checkout the NCA page on switching bank accounts: http://www.nca.ie/nca/switching-accounts

If you're moving to a different bank, you don't even have to let AIB know, just open your new a/c (with BoI I'm guessing?) and they do all of the switching work behind the scenes as long as you fill out an account transfer form for them. If you're not transferring accounts but actually killing the AIB a/c because you no longer need it, you would be due a refund for the remainder of the government stamp duty not used.

Thanks very much.

I don't know if telling them the charge isn't what they say it is will make them drop it but we'll see. Might try that switching option either.

Boi have introduced charges for all current accounts unless you keep 3k in the account at all times and have a certain amount going through the account every quarter. Previously, it used to be the case that if you did x amount of online transactions per quarter you would get free banking.

Ulster Bank and PTSB are the only ones now to have free banking. However, UB have said they will keep this until at least July next year, which probably means they will bring them in. That leaves PTSB but you also have to fulfil a number of criteria in order to have no charges.

Just been hit with BOI charges and quite frankly they can get fucked. Just spoke to a very nice man from PTSB, anyone have any PTSB horror stories before I move my account?

BOI have generally been grand, but I really fucking resent paying bank charges. Particularly as I have much less money in my pocket due to increased levies and taxes which is a direct result of the government bailing the fuckers out.

As you can tell from my language I'm quite unhappy with the situation.

Just been hit with BOI charges and quite frankly they can get fucked. Just spoke to a very nice man from PTSB, anyone have any PTSB horror stories before I move my account?

BOI have generally been grand, but I really fucking resent paying bank charges. Particularly as I have much less money in my pocket due to increased levies and taxes which is a direct result of the government bailing the fuckers out.

As you can tell from my language I'm quite unhappy with the situation.

I considered jumping ship as well but bottled it. When I joined BOI you could bypass charges if you had x amount of money going into your account every month and did something like 3 online transactions per month. The new charges can be applied two ways. You can pay a rate of something like .28c for each transaction which mounts fairly quickly when you consider all the times you go to the ATM, pay bills, Direct debits, laser card payments etc. The other way is to pay €11/quarter for a bundle of transactions ( I think you get 90). If you go above that you get charged but it I think you could manage to stay below that.

That works out at about €45 per year and the bottom line is i'm willing to pay that. I have a PTSB account as well but their online banking is a joke compared to BOI.

Cheers for that, just the info I was looking for.

Do you have to call them to switch over to the bundle? Funny that they didn't mention that on the phone to me this morning, the pricks.

I got a letter in the post yesterday telling me they were taking 27 quid on the 31st December. I switched to e-statements recently so maybe that's why I got notification via post.

Cheers for that, just the info I was looking for.

Do you have to call them to switch over to the bundle? Funny that they didn't mention that on the phone to me this morning, the pricks.

I did it in my branch. You need to sign something so doubt you can do it by phone/online.

Got mine yesterday,fifteen euro in charges over three months.Think I'll switch to ulster bank instead.
Also the charges are back-dated to August,I was under the impression they only brought in the charges this month?

I find UB ok, their computer glitch only caused me one minor problem. Any advice they haves given worked to my benefit.

From the bit I've read today Ulster Bank have only confirmed free charges till July 2013, so you may end up in the same situation with the added hassle of moving banks. I asked the fella at PTSB today if he could confirm that they wouldn't be changing the charging policy and he waffled a bit about terms and conditions.

To sum up, Bank of Scotland left the marketplace, and with them went any sort of competitive market, so the old institutions are going back to their cosy little earners. Fuck the fucking banks.

UPDATE: Contrary to my pro-BOI stance above, I am now jumping ship. We went well over the 90 transactions and ended up with a €27 bill for 3 months. That's over a ton a year. Got the PTSB switching forms and am going to hop over. They have no charges if you meet certain criteria and anyone who is in employment should be able to meet them. They'll do all the donkey work with switching direct debits and standing orders etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back