Building a shipping container home (1 Viewer)

Deadmanposting

Supporter
@ann post
Have you done much research on the feasibility of building a shipping container home down the country?
I mean either as a standalone, or as an extension or an outbuilding on an existing property?

Are they more trouble than they're worth?

Another thing I'd love to know is how expensive a new septic system is to install and how much of it you could do yourself?

My drug habits are fine. As solid as cortex steel.

(Only booze and cigarettes though for me)
Ah bollocks, I fucked up.

I meant Corten steel, not Cortex.

I must have gotten confused between Corten, Correx and maybe Goretex
Or Gorecore, if that's a thing,

Anyways, metalwork is hard, it needs a pro. And pro's are expensive. But they are worth their price in the long run. I've seen it in boat world.

good ole boys slabbing logs in videos lasting over half an hour.
Fecking love those videos!
And the dude has a whole bandsaw on a trailer hitch and they slab the fucker in situ

Saw one guy who built a jig where he could slab a log with a chainsaw

EDIT - like the one you just posted
I love those fuckers
Mad about their wood and slabs and logs

Last edited:
If you want to build a "shed" to live in in a suburban setting you would need to make it no bigger than 25M2 and have at least 40M2 of garden left over in order to pretend it is just a shed- then hope no one notices or complains so the structure would become " unlawful but immune" in planning enforcement terms after seven years. You'd have to be looking at having a mezzanine sleeping space and a really good interior layout to consider living in something like that long term. it's on my mind a lot as I get older and I think of the long term housing options of my kids given the way things are at the moment.

You would have next to no hope of getting planning permission for a habitable structure in a typical back garden under current development management guidelines- though I reckon this will change over the coming years - I'm looking out the back window as I type and there is plenty of room between my gaff and the neighbouring road to allow for small mews infill once it is well designed.

I also predict three bed semis being subdivided into two x two bed apartments in the coming years like they have in parts of London - irish suburbs are an incredibly low intensity use of scarce resources....it's doable with decent redesigns and a change in current building regs...

I also predict three bed semis being subdivided into two x two bed apartments in the coming years like they have in parts of London - irish suburbs are an incredibly low intensity use of scarce resources....it's doable with decent redesigns and a change in current building regs...
I was reading about Los Angeles having a whole policy encouraging backyard gaffs now
And another programme in Boston similar called ADUs (additional dwelling units)
It's a problem in the rich world

Any time you tap into stories about any successful city - reading about Berlin and Edinburgh recently - and you will usually find that housing is a major problem

You'd have to be looking at having a mezzanine sleeping space and a really good interior layout to consider living in something like that long term. it's on my mind a lot as I get older and I think of the long term housing options of my kids given the way things are at the moment.

This was kinda where i stopped taking the shipping container thing seriously - I had my own flat rented years ago and it was approaching that scale, but bigger and half my life seemed to be moving crap around to accomodate different things*
*making space to record or sleep essentially.

Not quite a shipping container home, but this exact trailer was at work today. I see them often, they have different configurations. I've never seen an old one, so they must renew the fleet regularly enough? Triple expanding, oh yeah. Thing is easily the size of a house, you just need a tractor unit (ie: a truck) to park it for you. Couldn't really find a good pic, but Google might. The floorplan suggests you can put 30 people working in it.

This mainly me doing nerdy goofing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back