bands who got record deals and were never heard from again (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 354
  • Views 32K
  • Watchers 15
Yep, quite a chastening experience for any band.

Many's the dream has died on a stage in Longford.

Stereobaby - It wasn't quite as bad as I let on. There's hardly ever even a half-decent band playing Longford (Mullingar is as near as they come) so the crowd was pretty good that night. There was 400-500 there. €15 in.

Played with ROL recently. There was 10 of them plus 3 crew, possibly 4. I'm not surprised they're skint. The gig was in Longford.

True - I saw them in the Olympia before Christmas and I think I counted 15 or 16 on the stage at one stage.

They did do a fuck load of gigs last summer tho.

And have to say that Olympia gig was fucking great.

That's not really a lot of money when you break it all down.

Thats a bit odd considering they dont hit the stage for anything less than 5 grand.

reasons to set up a 3 piece and never be in a 9 piece.

Watercress were one of the best live irish bands I have ever had the pleasure to see.
I'm always sayin this, but Watercress played 2 or 3 of the best gigs I was ever at. The first Drat gig I was at (in Doyle's on Fleet St.) was amazing too, not as crazy as a Watercress gig but still fantastic. They were never as good after that (though they were still very good)

I can't understand why republic of loose haven't "made it big" yet. In foreign parts, like.
i did a gig with them about a year ago in a shitty club in london which was supposedly a showcase for them (we played to about 2 people and the bar staff-rock and roll) and they were brilliant in my opinion..but supposedly not one bigwig was sufficiently impressed to roll out the chequebook..
that,and i heard nasty whispers that when a label eventually approached them they told them if they wanted a deal,they had to write three more tunes like comeback girl (read:radio fodder)...whether they did it or not i never found out.shitty though.

I'm always sayin this, but Watercress played 2 or 3 of the best gigs I was ever at. The first Drat gig I was at (in Doyle's on Fleet St.) was amazing too, not as crazy as a Watercress gig but still fantastic. They were never as good after that (though they were still very good)

I loved when they did a cover medley of whatever tunes where popular in the day...I thought the were pretty good recorded too...I loaned my sister their shiny album and never saw it again. :mad:

Saw Drat a couple times but did seem like they had lost the lightness that Dan gave them.

Id put them inthere with the current trend for emulating/copying those Supertramp, ELO "big" pop bands of the late 70s

If the Feeling can sell loads of records why cant Republic of Loose?

is it all down to the ugliness?

Saw Drat a couple times but did seem like they had lost the lightness that Dan gave them.
I thought what they were missing was the ZING that Phil the drummer gave them. First time I saw them it was with Phil and they were never as good with the other guy, can't remember his name - nice fella, and he woulda probably been fine in most bands but some bands just need a shit-hot drummer for it all to work

If the Feeling can sell loads of records why cant Republic of Loose?

is it all down to the ugliness?

Ha! That's a bit harsh but ... Their music is this super-sexy slinky groovy funky stuff. You expect someone like Prince on vocals or even bleedin' Jamiroqui ... someone who can at least dance. But instead ... you get this kind of shambling Shane McGowan style character who looks like he just woke up and crawled out of a skip or something. He should stick to writing the songs (some of which are great) and get a different front-person in ....

I don't doubt that if ROL looked like McFly (or Busted or some other boyband) they'd be selling millions of records around the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back