back to bacon.. (1 Viewer)

Man, I've been vegtarian since I was a kid. I think there have been times in my life where sheer force of habit, rather than strength of moral conviction, stopped me from eating meat again and I could have turned.

just thought i'd add this:
veal is slaughtered at around the same age as most lamb and pork.what do yis think spring lamb means.fact!

whoops I meant turn-coat in a more tongue in cheek way, sorry if it came
off a bit confrontational. the ex-veggie types that I was mostly referring to are the
ones who become total nazies about the not eating meat, all lectures and trying to convert people to the veggie way. When these guys then revert to eating lowest of the low burgers or cheapo meat its just a bit bloody annoying. we used to raise our own geese and ducks and slaughter them ourselves so I've seen it all and don't have a huge issue with that style of meat eating at least the animals get a good life.
(obviously I'm not expecting people to raise their own meat)
It's the take no prisoners righteous guys that saunter back to the rasherery sandwiches bypassing organic as too expensive that I find puzzling. apologies if I raised peoples hackles.

whoops I meant turn-coat in a more tongue in cheek way, sorry if it came
off a bit confrontational. the ex-veggie types that I was mostly referring to are the
ones who become total nazies about the not eating meat, all lectures and trying to convert people to the veggie way. When these guys then revert to eating lowest of the low burgers or cheapo meat its just a bit bloody annoying. we used to raise our own geese and ducks and slaughter them ourselves so I've seen it all and don't have a huge issue with that style of meat eating at least the animals get a good life.
(obviously I'm not expecting people to raise their own meat)
It's the take no prisoners righteous guys that saunter back to the rasherery sandwiches bypassing organic as too expensive that I find puzzling. apologies if I raised peoples hackles.
Fair enough

just thought i'd add this:
veal is slaughtered at around the same age as most lamb and pork.what do yis think spring lamb means.fact!
Yeah, but aren't veal-calves kept in the dark and and not allowed to move much to keep the meat tender? Or is this just veggie propaganda?

Yeah, but aren't veal-calves kept in the dark and and not allowed to move much to keep the meat tender? Or is this just veggie propaganda?

The wikipedia entry for veal seems to completely ignore the controversy around it.

Practices in veal production are alleged to be particularly barbaric (something like what you describe Lolo), but from what I've read, the vast majority of meat, dairy and animal products come from factory farms in which the animals are kept in extremely cruel and inhumane conditions. I respect that people choose their battles buh.

salad_medium.jpg

Factory farms sounds pretty rough alright. Any idea what percentage of irish dairy/meat comes from factory farms as opposed to regular farms?
No idea. I'm pretty sure that unless you're told otherwise you can assume that all chicken and pig products you consume will come from facrory farms.

No idea. I'm pretty sure that unless you're told otherwise you can assume that all chicken and pig products you consume will come from facrory farms.

Chicken and pigs, yeah probably. With regard to beef, all the beef/dairy farmers I know keep the animals out on pasture as much of the year as possible (with our newly milder winters 12 months of the year in some cases) and give supplemental feed when required.

Chicken and pigs, yeah probably. With regard to beef, all the beef/dairy farmers I know keep the animals out on pasture as much of the year as possible (with our newly milder winters 12 months of the year in some cases) and give supplemental feed when required.

Yeah, my nuncle has names for all his cows and shit. They're awesome. I've never asked what he farms them for, but he's vegetarian.

However, I know that in the States, people like him, and the people you know Skiggs, (while there are lots of them), produce a teeny minority of the ridiculous amount of beef and dairy (and other weird shit) consumed. I dont' know what the buzz is in Ireland though. Anyone?

you worry where your meat comes from. then, you stop eating meat. then you start worrying where your vegetables come from. 's a funny world isn't it?

check it out. the japenese grow their fruit in confined spaces and cages to make for efficient transport and storage the same way we grow our chickens and pigs in tiny cages.

square-watermelon.jpg

crazy world innt

Yeah, but aren't veal-calves kept in the dark and and not allowed to move much to keep the meat tender?
Just like chicken.
Edit: Just to be clear, I meant that chicken is raised that way. I realized that I could have been likening the flavour and texture of chicken to veal.

I dont' know what the buzz is in Ireland though. Anyone?
The brother works for dairygold, said they're trying to squeeze all the small farmers out of the business so they can go down the factory farm road. They got in the head guy from kerrygold a few years ago and the first thing he did was fire half the staff, devalue all of dairygold's stock and put milk prices down (as if farmers weren't getting shit money enough from milk). Also, the government are trying to make it hard as possible for farmers, as much time spent on paperwork now as on manual labour.

So yeah, give it twenty or even ten years and there'll be no small farms left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back