back to bacon.. (2 Viewers)

Tell your dad that most of the chemicals put in non organic food is to improve shelf life. Obviously if food has a shorter shelf life it costs more.
or ask why you would want to eat food which has been deliberately treated with those chemicals which are there specifically to be poisonous.

or ask why you would want to eat food which has been deliberately treated with those chemicals which are there specifically to be poisonous.
Have said this, answer is "they're poisonous at the time of application because of their volume, but by the time they get to consumers, the traces are so negligible as to be effectively non present." He also goes on about a case in the US where a bunch of people died from eating organic veg, "so untreated organic food actually has a higher mortality rate than treated veg"

Have said this, answer is "they're poisonous at the time of application because of their volume, but by the time they get to consumers, the traces are so negligible as to be effectively non present." He also goes on about a case in the US where a bunch of people died from eating organic veg, "so untreated organic food actually has a higher mortality rate than treated veg"

Did these people wash the vegetables before eating them... odds are very high that they didn't and that the contaminants that killed the consumers were on, rather than in the veg.

Most animals won't consume non-organic vegetables grown for human consumption... animals are smarter than humans.

Did these people wash the vegetables before eating them... odds are very high that they didn't and that the contaminants that killed the consumers were on, rather than in the veg.

Most animals won't consume non-organic vegetables grown for human consumption... animals are smarter than humans.
I wouldn't mention either to him as the first one is pure speculation and the second one sounds like a bit of a wife's tale. Only animals i've any experience with is cows/bulls and cats and dogs, and any of them will eat any auld shite, ever tried to eat a bag of CrispyCalf?

My Dad's neighbour, prompted by my father, tried out all sorts of experiments with farming, using the conventionally accepted methods and using more natural, less interventionist methods.

My Granddad farmed in the conventionally accepted manner. My father completely broke with that when he bought over the family farm. He was mocked by the above neighbour, in particular, all the other local farmers and pulled out of Macra and the IFA because it made him very angry to listen to all the figures given to prove that what he was doing was impossible.

Now all the neighbouring farmers come to my dad for advice... and he retired and planted most of the farm in mixed forest about 7 or 8 years ago knowing that he had proved his point. He now is attempting to prove all new ones.

My Dad's neighbour, prompted by my father, tried out all sorts of experiments with farming, using the conventionally accepted methods and using more natural, less interventionist methods.

My Granddad farmed in the conventionally accepted manner. My father completely broke with that when he bought over the family farm. He was mocked by the above neighbour, in particular, all the other local farmers and pulled out of Macra and the IFA because it made him very angry to listen to all the figures given to prove that what he was doing was impossible.

Now all the neighbouring farmers come to my dad for advice... and he retired and planted most of the farm in mixed forest about 7 or 8 years ago knowing that he had proved his point. He now is attempting to prove all new ones.

Once again, I want to reiterate that yer da sounds awesome.

I wish I could draw because I've an image of him in my head, and it's a mixture of beardy hippie, wizened farmer, mad scientist and young upstart, which I would be able to convey only in a carefully-penned drawing.

Does he use old tractor engines to build robots? Because in my mental picture, he's got a shed full of half-finished ones.

babe.jpg

that'll do squig!

I wish I could draw because I've an image of him in my head, and it's a mixture of beardy hippie, wizened farmer, mad scientist and young upstart, which I would be able to convey only in a carefully-penned drawing.

Does he use old tractor engines to build robots? Because in my mental picture, he's got a shed full of half-finished ones.

Haha! That picture's one I would love to see, and not too far wrong really, although he's more mad scientist than hippy (but he does have the beard).

Haha! That picture's one I would love to see, and not too far wrong really, although he's more mad scientist than hippy (but he does have the beard).

Awesome. The Guardian is doing a 'learn to draw' series, maybe they'll do a pullout of how to draw mad scientist farmer beardos...

PS: Does he build robots? I know you said he makes frankenmobiles of some kind, doesn't he?

Awesome. The Guardian is doing a 'learn to draw' series, maybe they'll do a pullout of how to draw mad scientist farmer beardos...

PS: Does he build robots? I know you said he makes frankenmobiles of some kind, doesn't he?

He prefers frankenmobiles that he can drive to robots. He used to be a grass track racing driver.

what would be the best thing to do with a farm if you happened to acquire one in this day and age? plant loads of trees and turn it back into a forest? something else?

Depends on the type of trees. Christmas trees are very bad for the soil (but good if you grow them on very, very poor soil, or on high ground) and most pine trees grow too quickly in this country to be of any use for timber. Ideally you don't want to grow any trees that will take less than 40-60 years to mature.

Of course that makes timber a very long term project. However, there will be a lot of thinning to be done over the years and depending on the type of wood the thinnings can provide an income.

If I had a farm of 100 acres or so to play around with I'd probably go for a mixed forest, including spanish chestnut, maple and other potentially crop bearing trees on about 50 or 60 acres. The rest I would use to keep some cattle, sheep, maybe goats and other animals that would provide milk and meat. I'd have an orchard, other fruit trees, a vegetable garden, some greenhouses and chickens and ducks (but not geese, geese are pricks). Basically, I'd aim for being as self sufficient as possible and hopefully being able to have enough over to make a bit of money that would allow me to pay any necessary bills and buy anything I couldn't provide for myself.

my plan, when i win the euromillions, is to buy louth, raze it, and turn it into a forest.

on another note; has anyone here made nettle soup? anyone ever seen it for sale anywhere?

my plan, when i win the euromillions, is to buy louth, raze it, and turn it into a forest.

on another note; has anyone here made nettle soup? anyone ever seen it for sale anywhere?

I've made it. Tastes ok - never seen it on sale though. It takes a lot of nettles to make it. Nettle leaves are like spinach, they shrink to nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back