ATTN: promoters, gig goers, photographers...SERIOUS ISSUE with photography. (1 Viewer)

shootfromthehip

firstly, i must wish you all a happy new year..

i hate to start the year on a negative note, but there is something occurring at gigs involving photographers that i feel sorely needs to be addressed.

i have returned from a gig tonight that i feel was completely ruined by a photographer. this is the 3rd gig in a month that has been ruined or soured by a photographer. now, i know that recently this was brought up with a particular mention to U:M gigs and i actually saw a positive change following this.

however, there is still something severely wrong with the protocol and actions of photographers at gigs.

Of the 3 gigs i am referencing i can name 2 of the photographers but i will not do so. i can however say that these gigs all took place in whelans.

some of the common behavior i have observed has been:

1- intrusive positioning of photographer in front of the stage
2- extremely invasive camera positioning and distracting use of flash photography.
3-aggression and arrogance being used to obtain a position in front of the stage
4- refusing to move when requested by punter or performer.
5- interference with the performers themselves.
6- complete disregard for the other punters enjoyment of a gig.
7- staying in this position for the entire gig.

tonight was in many ways the last straw. i do not wish to get into details about the events, but what i saw tonight was genuinely shocking. i felt, as do many of those unfortunate enough to be positioned behind the photographer in question, that a potentially amazing night was completely ruined by one person's obnoxious and selfish actions. and of course, this being more than just a regular night(NYE), it really feels like a great loss. this went so far as to actually interfere with the performers themselves causing them to actually stop playing a song and address the situation. i was also very forcefully pushed aside at one point during the gig by the photographer. this person also refused the requests of punters, bouncer and indeed band personnel to move and stop.

so, as nothing more than a music fan who enjoys going to gigs, i simply plea to you the promoters, punters and photographers to change this. something is seriously wrong when peoples enjoyment of a show is ruined by the actions of one person.

it could be solved easily by introducing the 3 song rule at ALL gigs. this means you get 3 songs/10 mins and you have to leave. this is the protocol in most bigger venues. i know its harder to police in smaller venues like whelans as there isnt security at the front of the stage, but it should almost be an unwritten rule.

i also believe it should be at the discretion of the band. maybe they dont want photography at all.

i do fully respect the rights of photographers and know that most of them have respect for what they are doing, the band and the people around them. but what i have been seeing just goes beyond basic human decency and respect.

its been a long, cold night.

happy new year again folks and thanks for reading.

the fat bloke with the camera who started appearing at gigs this year?

hes a real pain in the hole. He was hogging a whole area to himself at the Clues gig a couple of months back and yer man in the band gave out to him.

I've pretty much given up bringing a camera to gigs, way too many people with cameras. Vast majority of them haven't a clue what they're doing or have any sense of etiquette.

Name and shame this guy.

First three songs or first 20 minutes is the usual "rule". If someone's there with the permission of the venue, promoter, band or whatever that's fine with me, but stick to the rule and don't get in the way of punters.

the fat bloke with the camera who started appearing at gigs this year?

hes a real pain in the hole. He was hogging a whole area to himself at the Clues gig a couple of months back and yer man in the band gave out to him.

That guy is so annoying! He pushes people out of the way and spend the whole gig taking photos. I called him out on it once. Fat lot of good that did.

Nonsense. Technology is fine my beef is with the people using it to make the same work over and over.

But you blamed the technology in your last post.

Shit pictures didn't start with the advent with digital technology. In fact I'd argue that gig photography has improved since people started using digital technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back