• Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 0

MDR

Did you get my email?
Website
www.myspace.com
Anyone like a bit of tango accordian? Here he is with Yo-Yo Ma. I'm really getting into my compilation of argentinian tango, as wanky as that sounds.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here, MDR, did you ever reach Argentina in the end then?

Did you see these lads playing around BA? And the Tango dancers and everything.

Ha ha. I didn't really know very much about tango when I arrived. I thought it was cheesey smoochy thing.

I know I was standing there with a big :eek: look on my face watching them when I first came across them on the street.
I thought he was really pissed off with the woman for a second, and he was taking it out on her with the snapping and spinning around and shit.
Then I noticed the lads playing the music were all smiley abuot things, and she was giving cheeky grins now and again.

When they are dancing hard though... holy shit, I've seen less violent GAA.

Never made it to argentina I'm afraid. We had to cancel for family reasons but we got the money back on the insurance. I'd love to go there though, but it's probably off the cards for me for a while.

I'm thinking about tango music, more than the dancing. The music has great arrangements and exchanges between accordian and violin/cello.

The music was interesting enough alright.
I was more transfixed on the dancers than the musicians I have to say.

The lads playing it were having a deadly laugh, they were sort of buzzing off the lads dancing. It was all new to me, I hadn't seen that kind of interaction before. The interaction between everyone was more interesting than the music itself probably for me.

The musicians that blew me away in South America in general were the drumming bands. Absolutely absolutely amazing. Unbelievable drumming.
Nothing to do with tango though. Heh.

The music was interesting enough alright.
I was more transfixed on the dancers than the musicians I have to say.

The lads playing it were having a deadly laugh, they were sort of buzzing off the lads dancing. It was all new to me, I hadn't seen that kind of interaction before. The interaction between everyone was more interesting than the music itself probably for me.

The musicians that blew me away in South America in general were the drumming bands. Absolutely absolutely amazing. Unbelievable drumming.
Nothing to do with tango though. Heh.

Ditto...went to a Brazilian party in Buenos Aires (an obvious place to do it, no?) and they had a live drum troupe in the bar doing all that (for want of a better term) Paul Simon stuff. Then they started marching through the bar and drumming on everything they walked past like the bar and glasses...twas fucking brilliant!!

The Argies on the other hand will get a drum out at the drop of a hat, but it will be usually used to march up and down a street in protest of something (usually the government). They also have this repetitive beat that features in so much of the pop/reggaeton music - its impossible to avoid...

Also some great stuff in the peñas (traditional folklorico restaurant where musicians play all night as you eat and drink red wine or fernet.) Don't understand the music much but a great vibe.

MDR - I heartily recommend Argentina whenever you get the opportunity.

P.S. I heartily recommend you smother one of your new songs in tango-ish accordian, possibly that Dorado one (which is a peach by the way).

P.P.S. That might be a terrible idea cos i don't really remember how that song goes, just remember liking it.

Right, I'm going to delve into Astor Piazzola today/tonight. Anyone fancy recommending somewhere to start?
I saw a performance of some selections from his oeuvre in Buenos Aires last week and I was mighty impressed.

Gidon Kremer's 'Homage a Piazzolla' is pretty amazing - haven't heard it in a long time. There's loads of freaky Piazzolla stuff out there too about insanity and THE FUTURE and suchlike; many, however, prefer the straight tango tunes...
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back