Asking someone on a date (2 Viewers)

One time I met a girl for what you might call a "date" and later, in her house, she got me to help her stick luminous, decorative stars on her ceiling.

I think she mistook me for a girl or something.

Anyway, that one didn't last long.

You should have taken a drill and made some black holes in her ceiling.

I didn't get a chance to read this whole thread, but dates are great.

I've always thought that a date that did not have booze as a focus (i.e., not in a pub or a bar) sends a message that you're genuinely interested in this person's company, and find them compelling enough not to need booze to fuel conversation. Whether it's dinner and making a bit of an occasion about going out with the person, or something like a walk in the park or a trip to the zoo, that makes an occasion by virtue of being something you might not normally do on a Sunday afternoon -- even if you don't know your own intentions, it's always good to be clear about the fact that you think this person is more than just some randomer. It also suggests a clarity that means if it doesn't go well, no one feels too guilty about not wanting to hang out again.

And guys who think women who ask out men are just desperate? Did you meet them in a different century?

I've asked out lots of guys, most of whom have thought I was a total mental for doing so. But if a guy is afraid of a phone call, then he's got problems bigger than I've got the energy to deal with. Good way of weeding out the weak.

If it's any consolation (although it could be scary...), Mr Jane asked me out on a proper date and even used the word 'date', which I thought was totally awesome. He'd never done that before (not that he'd never asked out a lady, just never under such a heading). Took him a while to get up the courage, and I nearly did it for him, but I could see he was trying to get the words out and I didn't wanna steal his thunder.

I've always thought that a date that did not have booze as a focus (i.e., not in a pub or a bar) sends a message that you're genuinely interested in this person's company, and find them compelling enough not to need booze to fuel conversation.

yes, I agree completely.

but 2 points;

1: Us Irish are innate balls of self-confidence lacking mess. Thus we need Dutch courage to go on dates (well, its a generalisation but the point is that drink isn't necessarily the focus of the date as such, its more of a faciliatator).

2: Lots of people struggle to keep conversation going for more than 5 minutes, so the thoughts of a date where you have to keep conversation going for a few hours is quite scary for a lot of people. I'd imagine drink helps here too.

One time I met a girl for what you might call a "date" and later, in her house, she got me to help her stick luminous, decorative stars on her ceiling.

I think she mistook me for a girl or something.

Anyway, that one didn't last long.

what did you use to stick them to the ceiling?

yes, I agree completely.

but 2 points;

1: Us Irish are innate balls of self-confidence lacking mess. Thus we need Dutch courage to go on dates (well, its a generalisation but the point is that drink isn't necessarily the focus of the date as such, its more of a faciliatator).

2: Lots of people struggle to keep conversation going for more than 5 minutes, so the thoughts of a date where you have to keep conversation going for a few hours is quite scary for a lot of people. I'd imagine drink helps here too.

This is precisely why it's so nice when Irish people ask other people on dates. Because it says the person is interested enough to make the effort to leave the baggage at home for a night.

It's not like you can't have a drink with dinner.

Also, while I was a drinker for about six years in my 20s, most of my adult life I've never really been a big boozer. So for me, going to a bar on a date always suggested that they didn't really care about my company per se, it was just the idea of being out with a girl who might be desperate enough to put out. It was lazy and kind of disrespectful. If you aren't willing to show enough of an interest to step out of your comfort zone, why should the other person even bother to show up? Because to me it always seemed like, if the guy didn't make it clear that he wanted me to turn up (all of these, 'maybes' and 'sometimeses'), I would assume he didn't give a shit if it was me or someone else who sat on his knee.

In my younger days, if I was out with a guy and I wasn't drinking (which I almost never was) and he had more than a couple of drinks, I'd just go home. He'd made his priorities clear, and that was fine with me, I was just not gonna waste my time.

Then I moved to Ireland and learned to hate myself properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back