Architectural Mistakes and Monstrosities (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 1
speaking of old buildings, i was in one the far side of ballinasloe during the summer - a place called woodlawn house. it was put on the market in 2001, asking about 900k, and that included over 100 acres of land, and all outbuildings.

it hasn't been occupied since the mid 70s, but is structurally still surprisingly sound; though the roof has fallen in in a couple of spots, with the expected collapse of floors below.
it's a palladian mansion, three storeys over basement in the central section, and two storeys over basement in the wings. it's over 30,000 square foot, and has (i think) 26 bedrooms.
anyway, it hasn't sold - possibly a lot to do with the condition that it can't be turned into a country club, if sold. but i'd say you're looking at a restoration cost of 10 million at least.

and that's the rub. i'd love if the place was restored, but no-one is going to do anything with it unless it's to turn it into a golf club. and it's the same with most old buildings - unless you can find a contemporary use for them, they'll fall into disrepair to the point where the only option is demolition.
e08.jpg

f03.jpg

f12.jpg

yours for only a million or two.

You'd probably buy it and realise that you have to attach a new house onto those pretty cast iron banisters there.

And then get new banisters.

Class gaff though.
Imogine the portys you could have in thor Brian..|..|
Focking kegs of Hoino all over the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back