Arcade Fire on Jools Holland (1 Viewer)

I would have liked it if I had never heard any "post rock"/ lets bring back 80's jangly guitar music.

Just seemed like people getting in on whats going on in the mainstream right now with a spead up "a silver mt. zion" influence.

Foo Fighters were shit except for the acoustic song Dave did alone. I liked that.
Black Eyed Peas had lots of energy.

Anybody remember when Phantom used to play them back when they weren't massive? Very different sounding.

tim said:
I would have liked it if I had never heard any "post rock"/ lets bring back 80's jangly guitar music.

Just seemed like people getting in on whats going on in the mainstream right now with a spead up "a silver mt. zion" influence.

Foo Fighters were shit except for the acoustic song Dave did alone. I liked that.
Black Eyed Peas had lots of energy.

Anybody remember when Phantom used to play them back when they weren't massive? Very different sounding.

The Black Eyed Peas?

Saw 'em about 5 years ago, they were very good, not amazing but very good. Then the girl joined and they went r 'n' b. same thing seems to be happening to dead prez

i liked the arcade fire lots except the drums annoyed me a bit. i've seen other live footage where i thought they were better. am i worng in thinking that sometimes have more members playing more mental percussian stuff? that's what i expected.

Went to the astoria gig too. From the album I'd the idea that they were flaming lips vintage- veterans who'd been knocking around in different bands for years and had finally gotten their shit together. No clue that they were so young and so, I don't know, precocious. It looked like the royal tennenbaums had put a band together. You wanted to protect them as much as cheer them on. They were class, though.

Nugs, they do a lot of instrument swapping, and at one stage during neighbourhood they had a second drummer in a crash helmet walloping a cymbal or two. Not for all that long though.

Unicron, do you know the name of the cover they did on the night? It's doing my head in even now...

One of us said:
Nugs, they do a lot of instrument swapping, and at one stage during neighbourhood they had a second drummer in a crash helmet walloping a cymbal or two. Not for all that long though

hmmm. defo saw them before with at least two percussianists in crash helmets, playing some random bits of metal and some cymbals and eachothers crash helmets(!), and there didn't seem to be fewer other instruments on the go. i might be wrong/unwell :D

das nugs said:
hmmm. defo saw them before with at least two percussianists in crash helmets, playing some random bits of metal and some cymbals and eachothers crash helmets(!), and there didn't seem to be fewer other instruments on the go. i might be wrong/unwell :D

Cool, I'd like to have seen that. I'd say they weren't as relaxed as usual on stage this week- it must be fairly nerve-racking for them to follow both the album and the hype...

old said:
Saw one song. Still don't like 'em. Heard the LP a ton of times.
Music for Frames and maybe Waterboys fans.
The last Foo Fighters song was quite rocking.

Have you listened to: Farewell Sorrow, Suicide Invoice, Illinois, Michigan, Permission To Land, Apple O, Vespertine, Tripper, Go Forth and Amplify...
i've heard illinois, michigan and milk man not apple o'....who are the others?

oh and i think the cover they do sometimes is "this must be the place (naive melody)" by the talking heads

One of us said:
Went to the astoria gig too. From the album I'd the idea that they were flaming lips vintage- veterans who'd been knocking around in different bands for years and had finally gotten their shit together. No clue that they were so young and so, I don't know, precocious. It looked like the royal tennenbaums had put a band together. You wanted to protect them as much as cheer them on. They were class, though.

Nugs, they do a lot of instrument swapping, and at one stage during neighbourhood they had a second drummer in a crash helmet walloping a cymbal or two. Not for all that long though.

Unicron, do you know the name of the cover they did on the night? It's doing my head in even now...

They didn't play any covers, they did 2 songs, "No Cars Go" and "Old Flame" from the EP. I think they did say that the former was and old song so you're probably thinking of the latter.

And they are young, I think Win is about 24, Regine is late 20's (28?), Will (who is still in college and doing exams at the minute and wasn't on the tour) is 21-22, dunno about the rest.

You liked Final Fantasy? I missed the chance to buy his album but a friend picked me up a copy at the Amsterdam gig and is posting it over. Apparently it's different to the one guy, his violin and a loop pedal stuff that he played live.

Unicron said:
They didn't play any covers, they did 2 songs, "No Cars Go" and "Old Flame" from the EP. I think they did say that the former was and old song so you're probably thinking of the latter.

And they are young, I think Win is about 24, Regine is late 20's (28?), Will (who is still in college and doing exams at the minute and wasn't on the tour) is 21-22, dunno about the rest.

You liked Final Fantasy? I missed the chance to buy his album but a friend picked me up a copy at the Amsterdam gig and is posting it over. Apparently it's different to the one guy, his violin and a loop pedal stuff that he played live.

To be honest, I was in two minds about him. I didn't realise he was a mate of the band's, and thought it was just a self-consciously hip choice of support- if you liked the kooky chick with a harp, check out the geeky guy with a violin. And he hovered very close to self parody- a floppy haired guy screaming fuck you into the violin pick-up was what got me thinking of wes anderson movies in the first place. Having said that, I did start to warm to him and the looping was pretty smart. Him and yer wan were brilliant during the main set as well.

Have to disagree with you though on one point. Coast to coast is right- they did indeed play this must be the place by Talking Heads. Thank you! It was about the third song in?

coast to coast said:
i've heard illinois, michigan and milk man not apple o'....who are the others?

suicide invoice is hot snakes, vespertine is bjork, go forth and amplify is large mound. all class. dunno who the others are

One of us said:
To be honest, I was in two minds about him. I didn't realise he was a mate of the band's, and thought it was just a self-consciously hip choice of support- if you liked the kooky chick with a harp, check out the geeky guy with a violin. And he hovered very close to self parody- a floppy haired guy screaming fuck you into the violin pick-up was what got me thinking of wes anderson movies in the first place. Having said that, I did start to warm to him and the looping was pretty smart. Him and yer wan were brilliant during the main set as well.

Have to disagree with you though on one point. Coast to coast is right- they did indeed play this must be the place by Talking Heads. Thank you! It was about the third song in?

I like the kooky chick with the harp, and I did like the geeky guy with the violin and I really liked the geeky guy covering the kooky chick.

Not trying to start a fight over it or anything but I can't remember a cover, this is a part of a post taken from a board of a fan site made by someone who got the set list after the gig:

My friend kindly grabbed me a setlist:
LAIKA
NO CARS GO
HAITA
OLD FLAME
7 KETTLES
CROWN OF LOVE
NEIGHBOURHOOD (as in 'tunnels')
FRENCH SONG (surely they don't refer themselves to une anne sans lumiere as french song?!?!)
POWER OUT
REBELLION

encore:
WAKE UP
BACKSEAT

Maybe they decided to play it on the spur of the moment so thats why it's not on the list.

Edit: Just listened to the cbc session where they played Naive Melody and Old Fame on the EP and the songs are quite similar, I DO think you're thinking of Old Flame.

Unicron said:
I like the kooky chick with the harp, and I did like the geeky guy with the violin and I really liked the geeky guy covering the kooky chick.

Not trying to start a fight over it or anything but I can't remember a cover, this is a part of a post taken from a board of a fan site made by someone who got the set list after the gig:

My friend kindly grabbed me a setlist:
LAIKA
NO CARS GO
HAITA
OLD FLAME
7 KETTLES
CROWN OF LOVE
NEIGHBOURHOOD (as in 'tunnels')
FRENCH SONG (surely they don't refer themselves to une anne sans lumiere as french song?!?!)
POWER OUT
REBELLION

encore:
WAKE UP
BACKSEAT

Maybe they decided to play it on the spur of the moment so thats why it's not on the list.

Edit: Just listened to the cbc session where they played Naive Melody and Old Fame on the EP and the songs are quite similar, I DO think you're thinking of Old Flame.

I bow to the set list. If it was an earlier track of theirs, it did sound the spit of that talking heads song, though.

well there is an arcade fire this must be the place up on lime - not fin downloading it yet (fucken dialup!).
did anyone record the show? done missed it

I thought they were pretty interesting live, think they will be THE NEXT BIG THINGTM. therfore by the time they get to Ireland the ticket prices will be sky high (thanks mcd) and it will be packed to the rafters with annoying trendy fuckers who wear long satin gloves indoors ala chick from arcade fire.. jesus i'm fiece cynical and grumpy on a monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back