April Budget (1 Viewer)

Im stuck somewhere between the two until I decide what the hell i'm at.

I want to get a shitty job for a year or two so I can get a life and figure out my plans.

...i would go to college but I don't know what i'd like to do and it'd drive me insane to end up wasting the time and money on college fee's in a course I end up hating.

It's a hard life... :D

this is right up your alley then:

http://www.islandreefjob.com/

so are we doing the exact opposite to the yanks, increasing taxes and cutting spending? i think world leaders should work out their economic theorys on sim city.

like irelands decisions don't seem to have any measures to increase spending, they've just made people more worried and way less likely to spend. at least the yank solution will stimulate the economy, although to what extent remains to be seen. interesting to compare the two and see what happens.

like irelands decisions don't seem to have any measures to increase spending, they've just made people more worried and way less likely to spend. at least the yank solution will stimulate the economy, although to what extent remains to be seen. interesting to compare the two and see what happens.

I think the Americans need to stimulate spending more than us. They have a large economy and, say, an auto industry amongst others that can be helped by increased consumer confidence.
A lot of our industries are export-led. Increased spending here will help the retail sector and VAT receipts but won't stimulate industry to a great degree.
Very few of the recent big job losses have been because people in Ireland are buying less of their products.

I still don't understand the mortgage interest relief thing. I always thought that was only for seven years anyway, so was always expecting us to run out at some point. Did this change in the last couple of years? HMD bought a house six years ago then we both both a house two years ago so I'm not sure if this affects us immediately.

Mortgage interest relief was paid at first-time-buyer rates for the first 7 years, and thereafter it was still there but at a much lower rate - from years 1-7 it used be 20% relief up to a ceiling of €10,000 per applicant, but this changed in the last budget to a sliding scale from 25% to 20% over the first 7 years. From year 8 onwards, the relief was 15% but only on a ceiling of €3000 interest. This is what has now been abolished (and the relief for the first 7 years is going to be reviewed in the future).

In your case, if you were a first time buyer two years ago, you will still be able to claim for the next 5 years on half of the total interest paid (i.e. you don't both lose your relief if one person reaches the 7 year mark).

That term time thing wasn't in place when I was in the PS.

I'm sure its not nice for you at the moment Pete, or for my brother and my two sisters-in-law currently working in the public service.

But for fuck's sake, the amount of these type of 'schemes' in the public service is crazy. Having a scheme that involves someone not working during the summer, when they are not in the teaching profession, is fucking bonkers.

Is there less work to be done during the summer?

When I worked in the public service, job sharing was a terrible strain on our department. There was a limited amount of work a job sharing worker could do as they were only there every second week. Even if someone job shared with them, there was a constant backlog of work as the alternating person had to catch up on the previous weeks work. It inevitably led to the lower paid, full-time staff doing higher end jobs for the sake of continuity, but none of them could sign off on anything as they weren't qualified to do so, causing even further delays. I cannot imagine what damage to productivity someone not working for an entire summer could cause.

I had exactly the same experience when i worked in the public service. I essentially ended up running a section because my boss was job sharing and wasn't familiar with the day to day stuff. I saw them for about 6 days a month by the time they'd taken all their holidays, time in lieu, sick days etc. It was grand until any major decisions had to be made. At least they were decent enough to consult me on stuff, but i couldn't offically be given credit for any of it because of my lowly status.

A person on the minimum wage is only 3 euro better off a week than a peron on the dole.

"Hmmm will I work in me shite job with no career prospects for 40 hours a week or will I draw the dole?"

That's a toughy.

That Government has to go, I hope ye are all registered to vote in the local elections.

That's bullshit. If you count Rent Allowance, yeah, there's not a huge difference but Rent Allowance severely limits where you can live, not to mention that even now being on the dole gives you a shit social standing.

The new taxes on minimum wage probably won't be any less than the drop in RA, not to mention you're loosing your christmas bonus.

This is the kind of stuff you have happen in a country with a ridiculous high cost of living though.

in fairness, as decent and honourable a man as garret gitzgearld is, he tenure as taoiseach wont be remembered for brilliant economic initiatives

well the first time he became taoiseach, it was after the disastrous economic policies of the 1977 FF government who's main aim was to bankrupt the country

hey not much has changed from 1977 to 2009 :D

although probably even if it didn't follow disastrous budgets of FF, it'd probably wouldn't fare much better back in the 80's

I honestly think we need to do something. While we can't avoid some damage from the economy, some of these measures are insanely incompetent.

If we do not have a say in these measures, then how is it better than a dictatorship?

We need to physically force them to reverse some of these decisions at the very least.

I honestly think we need to do something. While we can't avoid some damage from the economy, some of these measures are insanely incompetent.

If we do not have a say in these measures, then how is it better than a dictatorship?

We need to physically force them to reverse some of these decisions at the very least.

Yeah, like we could vote in elections n'stuff.

I assume you'll be having a vote to make sure the majority of country agrees with you first.

Otherwise, it'd be........well,......no better than a dictatorship.

Cool.

I don't think the Irish government can actually do anything. Ireland really is relying on other countries to help it out.

The boom in the Irish economy wasn't really brought about because Irish people are somehow more innovative or industrious than people from other countries.
During the 90's loads and loads and loads of really good things happened to Ireland.
Ireland was just very lucky.

It's all come tumbling down and I don't know if Ireland will recover from this - at least not for another few decades.

Basically I think the golden period for Ireland has just come to an end.

We won the lottery and just blew it.

Otherwise, it'd be........well,......no better than a dictatorship.

Not really since I wouldn't actually be in charge of anything.

Technically a dictatorship isn't inherently a bad thing, so bad choice of words.

To be honest the responses to my comment did really seem to make me think even here people are part of the problem. It's better to do something drastic and hot headed in these situations than nothing at all, purely for creating a stir. Irish people are too apathetic.

It may be a global recession, but it doesn't excuse many of the local problems. There was no need for example to impose even heavier taxes on lower earniers, when we have so many rich fuckers.

To be honest the responses to my comment did really seem to make me think even here people are part of the problem. It's better to do something drastic and hot headed in these situations than nothing at all,

All you're doing is talking big on the internet. Why don't you quit wasting time and go round up your posse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back