anyone here rock as a job? (2 Viewers)

There's a fella here who's a full time musician. He does music therapy with homeless people - gets them to write songs and stuff. He records these and the albums are released. Then the rest of the time he records his stuff and other people's stuff and plays gigs. So he does music full time. But he plays all arab music (djembay, flute, guitar), so it's more trad-based stuff. I think you're more likely to be able to get support for that kind of thing than limp-wristed indie or whatever.

jaysus, easy on the condescension there.
that's a pretty weak point anyway. i don't really see how 10 years in a job i don't like would make a belief like that change. sure, it could make me write music for money, but i don't see why i'd necessarily have to have a change of opinion to do so. i don't see why i'd think it's suddenly ok to do that just because i'm sick of a job, like.

most 19yr old thing I've ever heard

Authentic?? YAWN EMOTICON

whatever kills you kills you, and your death is authentic no matter how you die

Authentic??

yes. and what's your point?
i only got snappy cos of shit like:

"!!!!

natural art?

What the hell is that?

OH EHM GEE"

which just seems pretty unnecessary. as i said, i still get pretty get confused over this discussion.

like, if your music is influenced by a subconscious (or conscious) need to pay the bills, is that really completely different than it being influenced by other bands, or it being influenced by you wanting to impress the people you know will hear it, etc.
just seems like the more an influence like monetary gain enters into it, the less genuine the expression should be.
genuine is used for want of a better word there, cos i guess you're genuinely writing music either way, whether it's to impress or to make money or whatever anyway..hmm.

whatever kills you kills you, and your death is authentic no matter how you die

i don't see the direct connection between this and this specific discussion. authentic is used for want of a better word too, i guess i just mean more honest or whatever. like more of a pure expression.

Because no one can own music and if no one can own it, then it's everyone's. Refer back to my bun argument. Who's mother charges them for a bun?) Apart from maybe if they bought it at a fete or whatever). If your mother charges you for a bun, you as well go out and sell your genes, your perspective on secondary school, your secrets and your labour.

I know people who make a living (barely) as classical musicians (mainly because most of them couldnt conceive of doing a gig for nothing), and I know several people who make a living from being in covers bands, lecturing in music or being sound engineers (and many who do all three). I also know people who've gotten a dole-cheques worth of money from a record label for a couple of years, but then had to go find a real job...

Because music-making is pleasurable and lots of people want to do it, the average living to be made out of music is very very low. If every teenager dressed like General Electric CEO Jack Welch, had posters of Denis O'Brien in their bedrooms, and did "gigs" with powerpoint presentations and pie-charts... then being the CEO of a multinational would be equally badly paid.

I know people who make a living (barely) as classical musicians (mainly because most of them couldnt conceive of doing a gig for nothing), and I know several people who make a living from being in covers bands, lecturing in music or being sound engineers (and many who do all three). I also know people who've gotten a dole-cheques worth of money from a record label for a couple of years, but then had to go find a real job...

Because music-making is pleasurable and lots of people want to do it, the average living to be made out of music is very very low. If every teenager dressed like General Electric CEO Jack Welch, had posters of Denis O'Brien in their bedrooms, and did "gigs" with powerpoint presentations and pie-charts... then being the CEO of a multinational would be equally badly paid.

Ooooh, you know so many people in the industry.. Your weird metaphor thing there is crap by the way. Here's a better one:
Selling music is equivilant to creating a bowl of porridge and then injecting it with some E Coli and laughing as a young girls starts to drink it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back