anyone here rock as a job? (1 Viewer)

Lord Damian

wondering if anyone here actually makes all or the majority of their dough as a musician, as opposed to the what i expect is an overwhelming percentage of us that do the odd gig and supplement the 9-5 income?

just curious what it's like.

Very hard to make a living from playing music in this country or any country I suppose, but the size of this place don't help. You'd have to do covers & teach or if your well connected (i'm not) session work.

I know a guy who makes a living from playing. He'd be one of those guy's you see in a small pub or hotel with the acoustic guitar playing sweet caroline, that kind of thing.

the rock owes me loads
i hear ya

work for money / rock for sanity

i thought we'd established that?
we'll see what tune they're singing when Southern Lord backs a dumptruck full of money and a multi-album contract up to their practice shack.

I know a guy who makes a living from playing. He'd be one of those guy's you see in a small pub or hotel with the acoustic guitar playing sweet caroline, that kind of thing.
living death

a mate of mine who played drums in the mound for a while plays in an established covers band 3/4 night a week making a minimum of 200 cash a night. that goes up around christmas and for weddings. and thats not his only job. he's a horse of a man.

my brother doesn't live off music but he's established enough now that i reckon he makes €100 - 200 a week just playing session gigs. which must be deadly.

I find the idea of sitting playing guitar for money very appealing

Look at this guy..immensely talented- he has loads of clips on there. No one seems to pay him much attention but fuck it..i wouldn't mind that job

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Brian O'Higgins pretty much drums for a living.

and its made me the man i am today!

1932375539_cb83530067.jpg

Very hard to make a living from playing music in this country or any country I suppose, but the size of this place don't help.

Read an interview with the guy from Sunset Rubdown/Wolf Parade this month, based in Canada so has access to all of North America. His bands are well regarded and you'd think well established on the radar of indie fans there. He basically said that the reason he's ALWAYS on the road with one band or the other (plus the other things he's got a finger in) is that it's the only way for him to not need a day job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back