anyone here rock as a job? (2 Viewers)

I know people who make a living (barely) as classical musicians (mainly because most of them couldnt conceive of doing a gig for nothing), and I know several people who make a living from being in covers bands, lecturing in music or being sound engineers (and many who do all three). I also know people who've gotten a dole-cheques worth of money from a record label for a couple of years, but then had to go find a real job...
I know people like that too but they all fell under the general banner of 'tossers'.
I'm sure there's no connection though

Because no one can own music and if no one can own it, then it's everyone's. Refer back to my bun argument. Who's mother charges them for a bun?) Apart from maybe if they bought it at a fete or whatever). If your mother charges you for a bun, you as well go out and sell your genes, your perspective on secondary school, your secrets and your labour.
if this is what you have to tell yourself when you steal music off the internet, fine, but i hope yer not telling me that you have the right to walk in free at a gig i'm playing (if it's a pay in gig that is).

if this is what you have to tell yourself when you steal music off the internet, fine, but i hope yer not telling me that you have the right to walk in free at a gig i'm playing (if it's a pay in gig that is).
Yes I am. What are you going to do? Throw your Fender Rhodes at me?? Tell the bouncers? Stuff my ears with ear plugs??

yes. and what's your point?
i only got snappy cos of shit like:

"!!!!

natural art?

What the hell is that?

OH EHM GEE"

which just seems pretty unnecessary. as i said, i still get pretty get confused over this discussion.

sorry. it was a joke

like, if your music is influenced by a subconscious (or conscious) need to pay the bills, is that really completely different than it being influenced by other bands, or it being influenced by you wanting to impress the people you know will hear it, etc.
just seems like the more an influence like monetary gain enters into it, the less genuine the expression should be.
genuine is used for want of a better word there, cos i guess you're genuinely writing music either way, whether it's to impress or to make money or whatever anyway..hmm.

I don't get how you can measure someone's sincerity, how genuine they are etc. by looking at whether they want money or not. You're putting your own baggage on someone else

i don't see the direct connection between this and this specific discussion. authentic is used for want of a better word too, i guess i just mean more honest or whatever. like more of a pure expression.

I would LOVE to see an example of 'pure expression'

I know people like that too but they all fell under the general banner of 'tossers'.
I'm sure there's no connection though

Most of them just love music and like the idea of doing it all the time, despite the fact they're not going to make a fortune. Other people prefer to do a dayjob and produce music in their spare time. Each to their own.

And Stephenoblunt I apologise for my weird metaphor - yours is much better. What do you do for a living out of curiosity?

Most of them just love music and like the idea of doing it all the time, despite the fact they're not going to make a fortune. Other people prefer to do a dayjob and produce music in their spare time. Each to their own.

And Stephenoblunt I apologise for my weird metaphor - yours is much better. What do you do for a living out of curiosity?

I'm doing a two year plc course in music management. What do you do???

Go on the dole

Play gigs for fun

Words to live(somewhat poorly) by

I'm a journalist.... When you finish your two year course in music management are you hoping to earn a living from it? Or are you going to give your services to musicians for free?
You must be a hack so, if this tired argument is the extent of your inspiration. I'm in second year now, so don't worry I know a thing or two about what I'm talking about. Yeah I'll make money, but not off the music - off the artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back