Anti-Gigsmart??? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tokey said:
Billy I'm not asking you to join Gigsmart man
All I was asling why can't we all work together

Once again here it comes down to what is cool or not.

Yes Gigsmart has a logo in certain colours. Big deal, their trying to
present themselves as a reputable organisation. What's wrong with that?

It's that fucking attitute of were better than Gigsmart/Irish Unsigned/Thingsyouremissing thats gonna kill the unsigned Music industry in Ireland.
It's like the scene in Mars Attacks, when the alien leaders break into the president's command bunker, and he says 'Why can't we all just get along?'. And then someone from GS/IU/TyM extends the hand of friendship, and they shake on it.

Then, of course, the alien hand detatches itself from the alien leader's arm, runs around the president's back and stabs him through the heart with it's scorpion-like tail, but that's another story.

Tokey said:

Well whatever. Just saying why I think Gigsmart isn't too popular among subscribers to Thumped.

Anyway, I'm sending them a mail about the FMC which will answer this question.
Tokey said:
It's that fucking attitute of were better than Gigsmart/Irish Unsigned/Thingsyouremissing thats gonna kill the unsigned Music industry in Ireland.

Ganncom is also a "reputable organisation"

Tokey said:

i think he was just trying to give you a flavour of the differences between gigsmart and other organisations, rather than specifically taking gigsmart to task for having 'corporate colours'. 'twas a humorous reference to differing assumptions.

this one time i opened up photoshop and i got a picture of corky from 'life goes on' and i made a new logo for GigSTupid and posted it on the internet somewhere

it was totally funny. i might still have it on my pc at home - i'll post it up if i do. it looks like Corky is flippin some devil horns like Dio or something. pretty cool.

andrew

Tokey said:
Do you represent Things? Not being smart just wanna know who I'm talking to :)

Nah, I'm nobody important.

Tokey said:
I just think that it is really pointless to be argueing with ourselves when we should be argueing with the stupid fucking industry.

The "industry"?? What do you mean when you say things like this?

Tokey said:
So you got burned by an orgainisation, I didn't think much of one of the Things meetings I went to,

Bit different, you didn't think much of the THiNGs meeting, but they didn't go smash your house up. Y'know?

In the past I've found Gigsmart very millitant sounding, a bit angry like (kill the industry!! kill Hotpress!! kill Pantone!!). I think some people might be cautious about linking up, if only for a gig, with a group like this. Especially if they don't want to kill the industry... or hotpress... or pantone...

Tokey said:
but I know that there a some fucking great bands involved here and I think it's stupid we don't get along. Look past all the organisations and look at the bands.

Then contact them and ask them to play. But I wager this here Yorkie Muffin that the minute you put a banner on it (A THiNGs/GIGSMART GIG, or a GIGSMART/THiNGs GIG) you'll hit shit meets fan city. If you want to gig with a band ask them!! Not every gigs needs a whopping great committee or organisation to be put on.

Like I said above, people might be up for playing a gig to a new audience, but might be worried about the doing so under the gigsmart banner (just as gigsmart bands might view attaching themselves to THiNGs in a bad light)

But at the end of the day I think everyone can benefit from the cross pollenation you are suggesting

The real reason thumped and THiNGS people don't like GigSmart:
You are not us. Therefore we believe anything bad we hear about you, whether it's true or not. Anything anyone involved with GigSmart ever says will be used as evidence that you are a bunch of nasty fuckers

Oh and something else - if we think you are a 'GigSmart person', we will convict you of anything bad that we believe any 'GigSmart person' ever did

I'm sure ye have the same attitude towards us :)

p.s. Nobody represents things. There is nothing to represent - we're just a bunch of individuals

If you lads are telling me the reason you don't like Gigsmart is because they have a logo in certain colours. That's sad, I hope your taking the piss.

Gigstupid.........Corky.......clever :) The fact that you even wasted time on that shows your a gimp :p

It's a pity, I think that a colaboration between the organisations could really have worked.

Just one last thing.

Explain to me the differences between GS/IU/TYM

Coz I can't fucking see any

egg_ said:
You are not us. Therefore we believe anything bad we hear about you, whether it's true or not. Anything anyone involved with GigSmart ever says will be used as evidence that you are a bunch of nasty fuckers

So your sheep .......who don't make up their own opinions. Yes?

egg_ said:
I'm sure ye have the same attitude towards us :)

Nope, else I wouldn't here would I. Duh?

egg_ said:
p.s. Nobody represents things. There is nothing to represent - we're just a bunch of individuals

What the fuck.........how do you get anything done?
What do I do if I want to contact Things. Just ring any of you?????????

That was the only problem I had with the Things meeting I went to. A bit disorganised. Too many cooks.... ye know.

Other than that I thought it was a really good organisation with lots of talent.

But I think that you have all proved me wrong here today.

Tokey said:
If you lads are telling me the reason you don't like Gigsmart is because they have a logo in certain colours. That's sad, I hope your taking the piss.

em... that's exactly what i said about it. just up there. did you read it?

Tokey said:
Just one last thing.

Explain to me the differences between GS/IU/TYM

Coz I can't fucking see any

em... that's what i also tried to do. both here and by pm. did you read any of that either? the differences are so obvious i'm surprised they need explaining.

Tokey said:

Nope, else I wouldn't here would I. Duh?

What do I do if I want to contact Things. Just ring any of you?????????

That was the only problem I had with the Things meeting I went to. A bit disorganised. Too many cooks.... ye know.

Other than that I thought it was a really good organisation with lots of talent.

But I think that you have all proved me wrong here today.

Whats with getting abusive all of a sudden, no one here has given you any hassle apart from Billy who was only joking. Calm down.

Re-read my post where I say, in a constructive positive manner, you should contact bands individually and maybe try this without have it a THiNGs Gigsmart gig?

Calm down.

Pantone247 said:
Whats with getting abusive all of a sudden, no one here has given you any hassle apart from Billy who was only joking. Calm down.

Re-read my post where I say, in a constructive positive manner, you should contact bands individually and maybe try this without have it a THiNGs Gigsmart gig?

Calm down.

Apologies. Just getting frustrated.

Fair enough so

silo said:
em... that's what i also tried to do. both here and by pm. did you read any of that either? the differences are so obvious i'm surprised they need explaining.

I did man. And I know that you are trying to destroy the industry by bringing out your own records and doing your own videos and stocking it in the shops and .........but wait isn't that what Gigsmart did 3 weeks ago?

So in essence the result that we are individually striving for is different, but the way of getting there is exactly the same.

So what's the problem. What's the real reeason there is such a bad Gigsmart vibe from EVERYONE here.

Is it just all here-say?

Pantone247 said:
Tokey said:
And I know that you are trying to destroy the industry
what do you mean by "destroy the industry"?

That's what silo told me (sorry silo, PM and all that).

"gigsmart wants to access the industry, thingsyouremissing wants to kill it "

I dunno but the road is the same, No?

I don't even know if Gigsmart wants to access the industry, I don't represent them, I just wanna play gigs with as many bands
as I can & have a laugh doing it :p

Tokey said:
I was taking the piss out of my peers here on thumped by describing (some of) their behaviour in an exaggerated fashion. I wasn't saying it's ok to behave like this - the opposite in fact. There is a tendency here to bad mouth anyone we don't know, which I disapprove of, and I was expressing my disapproval.
Trying too hard to be subtle. Misunderstanding = my fault

Tokey said:
The individuals do it.
They way we operate has its difficulties, but sometimes it works

OK I have officially logged onto this site more than gigsmart this week which is unusual for me, but to be totally honest I don't think that any of you have a clue what your talking about.
Pantone 247, you talk about this bad experience you had with GigSmart a while back where someone posted up your details, and your counter argument was that someone else agreed with what you were sayiong regarding the Hot Press Stance right, do you remember who that person was???? Thats right it was me, and Who am I, not to blow my own trumpet here, but I am by far the busiest GigSmart Co Ordinator at the moment, so is it not fair to say that you got mistreated by a person within the gigsmart circle while other people ( higher up in the gigsmart circle ) agreed with you. Therefore your details were typed up by an individual who didn't take kindly to your words as opposed to the whole organization being against you.
The GigSmart logo was printed up by someone who is all but inactive in the GigSmart world now, we keep the logo cause its become our identity and we feel that it represents us well.
Yes he was very obsessive with regard to the use of the logo but what can I say other than if nothing else its an entertaining read.

Now the problem with GigSmart, personally I can't fault us at all, we try our hardest for every band that has contacted us, we only work for bands that are willing to help themselves and we refuse to carry time wasters that want everything handed to them on a plate.
We have given free gigs to bands in great venues such as the TBMC where we've developed a great relationship through really hard work and now they trust us and whenever they get a free night they offer it to us.
If we can be accused of anything its not being big enough to get more exposure for the bands, but think of it, if a few part time music enthusiasts can get a compilation to chart in the top ten what could we achieve with financial backing and being able to concentrate on it full time.
If you have a problem with us then why not tell us exactly what its all about, I think that Pantone 247 is the only one who has any call to be pissed with us, for good reason but those actions were undertaking by an individual not the organization and if I remember correctley both myself, Trev and Tom apologized on his behalf.

Anyway I've spent way too much time here today, I'm gonna go get some din dins.

I'm playing in the music centre tomorrow night, if anyone wants to discuss this in person I am the one with the messy hair thats spose to be red but its kinda going blonde now.
Hope that some of ou can make it,

Niall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back