An Irishwoman's Diary (2 Viewers)

re the apes book - seems a bit mad to get hung up on apes, seeing as violence is a fact of life throughout the animal kingdom, but there's no denying you can learn an awful lot (or damn near everything you need to know) about people from the behaviour of other social animals

Carl Sagan blames aggression (and the tendency to blindly follow leaders) on the "reptile brain" which still apparently lurks in our modern brian.

Can I post my classist rant here?

I was downstairs in the International on Thursday evening (laying the groundwork for a prospective but alas aborted visit to Rock Jihad the following evening) when about 3 dozen toffs descended on the place and proceeded to drive away most of the other patrons. One of their number shouted at the barman something along the lines of "BARKEEP, I WANT MY FOCKING PINT OF MILLER NOW". I'm surprised the barman was as courteous as he was. Granted most of them were probably sound but there was an inordinate amount of lawked blowhards in the group (this was half 9 by the by) demanding drinks at full volume, slamming pints and slamming them down on the bar or table and making as big and ugly (and rich) a scene as their cushy little lives would allow.

What have complete arseholes got to with class? Serious question. Or is it?

I think in this case it's the sense of impunity these arseholes had, derived most probably from being from the most comfortable class, the superiority complex that upbringing instills in some people. True though, there are arseholes in all walks of life.

I think in this case it's the sense of impunity these arseholes had, derived most probably from being from the most comfortable class, the superiority complex that upbringing instills in some people. True though, there are arseholes in all walks of life.

That sense of superiority is in anyone who ever treats you like shit because they know you cant do much about it. It might be physical, it might be financial or it's quite often authoriterean. Cunts are cunts are cunts.

Have to go with orangutans myself. Apparently the name is foreignese for "forest man". Brilliant.

Good call

I'd like to big-up the bonobo as well- no gorilla or orangutan but a superior chimp whose name in junglese means " sexual degenerate"

Good call

I'd like to big-up the bonobo as well- no gorilla or orangutan but a superior chimp whose name in junglese means " sexual degenerate"

They're the ones that you (female readers) can be a mammy for. 'They' do these programmes where women go over to Jungleland and act as mammies for baby bonobos until they grow up.

They're the ones that you (female readers) can be a mammy for. 'They' do these programmes where women go over to Jungleland and act as mammies for baby bonobos until they grow up.

good god!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hmm ...takes a while to get there but the Chimpy Child song is worth it

And when it comes to violence, I can't see many genuinely productive solutions that would involve a material reliance on research on non-human primate violence.
If by "solutions" you mean ways of allowing us all to live together without uncontrolled violence, then I can't see any that wouldn't. Not just primates either - all social animals.

If by "solutions" you mean ways of allowing us all to live together without uncontrolled violence, then I can't see any that wouldn't. Not just primates either - all social animals.

B0009YS9P0.01-A9P1KZBSDQIPK._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back