An Irishwoman's Diary (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
From The Irish Times

Eileen Battersby said:
It was late. The all-night car park had in fact closed at 1am and our station wagon was locked in. We had to wait. It was nearly 4am before that happy reunion took place.

In an attempt to salvage the night, I decided to post my credit card payment in Donnybrook, as the traffic was bound to be lighter than during working hours. Not since the days when I used to live in Dublin and always travelled by bike had I had such a pleasant few minutes gliding through the dry city streets.

All those bright lights. You forget about them in the country. Bright lights and that cold neon glow. The car was clean. I felt organised and was enjoying the fluency of driving without the usual city bumper-to-bumper crawl. But the fun lasted only about three minutes.

A riot appeared to be going on in Leeson Street. What political demonstration could possibly be taking place in the middle of the night? But no, there was no "cause" at stake - it was not about race or religion; it was only the crowds vacating the night clubs.

People falling against each other, screaming, making vulgar gestures, four 20-something males, pants down, were busy seeing who could urinate the farthest. The watching girls added their comments, desperate not to be left out of something apparently as cultural as a urinating contest.

The car in front of us screeched to a halt as a youth threw himself in front of it. We slowed down; it would have been too easy to hit one of the drunken, flaying figures.

Then, a couple of young men jumped on to the bonnet of my car while their pals slapped their hands against the windows and made grabbing gestures. My view was filled with smirking faces, teeth, fingers and hands.

Suddenly a jeering voice shouted at me. I turned around as a lanky character in a pink shirt screamed obscenities at me, lifted the tail gate and proceeded to climb into the back of my station wagon. I'd had enough and wasn't scared, just furious.

I stopped the car and pushed open the door, forcing another fellow who had been pounding on my window, busy calling me a "fat old cow", to jump back out of my way. He seemed surprised and backed off.

Absolute rage is a strange sensation. It is as if your mind splits into two; one half was telling me to stay in the car and lock the door - the guy was already in the boot space - the other half was saying: "Use your fists - you didn't have two brothers and spend all that time running, jumping, climbing and riding bikes and horses for nothing."

My house had been burgled and ransacked recently and I hadn't forgotten that either. One of my dogs had been viciously beaten during the robbery; she has been left weakened, vulnerable, defeated by some swine who thought he was great, beating a brave young house pet with a cast-iron frying pan.

My tack had been stolen; saddles, bridles as well as computers, files and instruments, music, archive material, my daughter's violin. A disgusting mess of torn papers, letters, books, prints, maps had been left.

All of this surged through my mind and then, crazily, I also remembered I had a new bridle and a new horse rug - replacement tack - in the boot. I wasn't going to lose another horse rug. The rug became monumental.

Holding the keys in my hand, I ran out and snapped open the tail gate. "Get out of my car," I said in a low, menacing growl. "Get out of my car." The fellow laughed and stuck his fingers in my face.

"Get out of my car," I repeated, pulling him by his hair. He stopped sneering and screamed in pain. I kept pulling and pulled so hard, a clump of sweaty hair came away in my hand.

He shrieked as I grabbed his shoulder and half hauled him out. The intruder lurched away from the back of the car. I kicked him, maybe three times. I punched him in the face and felt my fist against his teeth. There was blood on my hand, I'm quite sure he didn't bite me. I slammed down the tail gate.

Then, as I turned around his jeering buddies, all middle-class boys with south Dublin accents, who had been chanting "fat ugly c**t", roared "mad ugly bitch, mad ugly bitch" back - but they had stopped laughing.

Now they were indignant. Outraged. It was obvious what they thought. How dare I react with such bad temper? Had I not realised I was supposed to be crying and pleading for mercy?

I swung round and went to pull open the driver's door. A young fellow - young enough, as they all were, to be my son - kicked it closed. I turned and kicked him. Luckily for him, I kicked higher than I had intended and merely winded him. I could feel my foot landing in the soft pad of his stomach.

He fell over, though, and I got into the car and gunned it. No one played at blocking my path this time. On delivering the payment, I drove back to Leeson Street, intending to offer my two cents worth to the guards. But the street was empty.

It's an ugly little story and I'm not proud of acting like a thug. I feel diminished for having been caught up in the sort of moronic, threatening "fun" that is making driving through Irish streets almost as dangerous as walking them.

Fair play to her.

go girl! one time my sister was stopped at traffic lights when some fella smashed the passenger window and stole her handbag. he then jumped into another car and they tore off down an alleyway so the sister followed them down and rammed their car a few times including a good bash into the passenger door where the snatcher was sitting. she said he looked a bit terrified but they got away in the end and she didnt get her bag back.

Fucking hell.

Good on her, though.

The fucking scary thing is that those middle-class drunken dickheads would probably have walked off scot-free even if she had found a gard.

They really are never there when you need them, and when they are, the first thing they do is try to find a way to make you feel like you're being accused of whatever it is has just happened.

I wish it weren't true, but you're better off standing up for yourself.

Every time I hear about this stuff now, I relate it to this excellent book which I read recently...

0395877431.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

i hate walking through town after a night out.
imho if they legalised drugs and we had a better transport system this kinda shit wouldnt happen.

i hate walking through town after a night out.
imho if they legalised drugs and we had a better transport system this kinda shit wouldnt happen.

All you need is a cop car with its lights twinkling at each of thee places - if the cops were actually a visible presence on the streets at that hour things would be a hell of a lot better.

I cant speak much for Dublin as I try and avoid the place if possible - but Cork at night is much worse than Limerick and it is for 2 main reasons - first you can actually get a taxi pretty easily in Limerick at night and second the cops are usually visible on O'Connell Street and around the ranks.

Compare that with Cork where taxis are impossible to find and you end up hanging around the City Centre whether you want to or not and there is never a cop around.

I once came out of a nightclub in cork and saw 4 cops hanging around on Grand parade - not walking up and down Oliver Plunket Street or Patrick St. like they would in a normal societly - no just chillin in a doorway on Grand Parade talking about GAA and shit...

What're the main points in a nutshell?

Very provocative and convincing book about the genetic origins of human violence (predominantly male) and the prevalence of almost universally patriarchal societies throughout human history. Since reading it I can't help but see our primal chimp-shared ape ancestors being reflected in people's actions all the time. Of course I must now read some counterarguments. I'll let Amazon summarise it for me.

If you harbor a sneaking suspicion that men are a herd of ignoble savages, then this book is for you. Authors Wrangham and Peterson will confirm your instincts. It turns out that hyperviolent social behavior is deeply rooted in male human genes and common among our closest male primate relatives. Rapes, beatings and killings are as much a part of life among the great apes as they are among us. The authors try to conclude on some upbeat notes that ring hollow, but their science reveals much about the dark side of human nature.

The 'hollow upbeat' notes, which I did not find as hollow as this reviewer, relate to some chapters on bonobos, and how their societies differ significantly from humans and chimps.

Its all the more horrific because they were middle class south dublin boys.......

It's far easier to condemn middle class South Dublin boys.

People's reaction might be different if it were inner city salt-of-the-earth lads.

Indeed would they have backed off as easily?

All you need is a cop car with its lights twinkling at each of thee places -

i've said it already.

ALL HAIL TECHNO VIKING

cleaning the streets. protecting the females and techno kids

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fair balls to Eileen Battersby. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire

re the apes book - seems a bit mad to get hung up on apes, seeing as violence is a fact of life throughout the animal kingdom, but there's no denying you can learn an awful lot (or damn near everything you need to know) about people from the behaviour of other social animals

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back