Al Murray (1 Viewer)

I'm not a massive fan of Al Murray, but i can appreciate how he's using the more unnattractive aspects of English culture as a setting stone for his comedy persona. From what i've seen of him in interveiws he seems really affable and not thick at all.

And Harry Hill is a fucking Genius.

They are completely different. Whether the jokes are funny or not is subjective, but he is not the equivalent of Bernard Manning. If you watch his act fully he is poking fun at racist/xenephobic attitudes by using complete hyperbole. He's quite middle class and well spoken and says he gets most of his act from taxi drivers.

I was saying that the jokes are the same. The butt of the jokes has changed from Irish or whatever to the people who make those kinda jokes, people like Murrays comedy persona.

He presented a documentary on the war. I'm not that interested in that kind of thing but the bits I saw were pretty good. He seemed knowledgeable and genuinely interested in hearing stories from old veterans. Nothing wrong with that.

When I've seen him I thought he comes across more like someone who's into the TA rather than someone who studies war politics and all that lark.

But I like him!

Well i saw him talking about Ireland, how we are the side car of England, they could cut us off at any time, and how we are doing alright for a nation of ugly potato-headed pissheads. More or less in the exact same words. Character or not, he wasn't funny (imo obviously) the British audience were pissing themselves.

Well i saw him talking about Ireland, how we are the side car of England, they could cut us off at any time, and how we are doing alright for a nation of ugly potato-headed pissheads. More or less in the exact same words. Character or not, he wasn't funny (imo obviously) the British audience were pissing themselves.

With Murray you need to watch the whole show or you definitely will miss a lot of the point

god help me I really enjoy Time Gentleman Please

i loved the first season of it too...it was goofy - myself and my friend
had tickets for a filming of it, but then we realised we also had finals
so we couldn't go. drat! is it on tv anywhere?

i remember seeing al murray on fantasy football once...he wasn't very
funny at all. he wasn't in character or anything but he really didn't
come across as a comedian.

I was saying that the jokes are the same. The butt of the jokes has changed from Irish or whatever to the people who make those kinda jokes, people like Murrays comedy persona.
If the context of the joke changes doesn't the joke itself change. ah fuck it that sounded like nonsense from The Review. I think he's funny.

And you've been framed is actually mildly entertaining now with Harry Hill. He seems to glory in how rubbish it is, which helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Murray
Born in Stewkley, Buckinghamshire, Murray is a direct descendant of William Makepeace Thackeray, while his grandfather was diplomat Sir Ralph Murray, who worked at the Political Warfare Establishment propaganda unit. Murray attended Bedford School and is a graduate of St Edmund Hall, Oxford University, where he studied history. There he performed in the elite comedy group, the Oxford Revue; and played drums in an alternative metal band "Geyser" with Simon Oakes and Adam Wolters. Despite his character's hatred of the French and the Germans he speaks both languages fluently, as is frequently demonstrated on his shows.

Criticising Al Murray on these grounds is a bit like saying Sacha Baron Cohen is anti-semitic and a women hater and blah...

The current issue of Prospect magazine has a couple of good articles about the relationship between the Irish and English pre and post Celtic Tiger and the rise of affluence in Ireland.
Worth a read.

Criticising Al Murray on these grounds is a bit like saying Sacha Baron Cohen is anti-semitic and a women hater and blah...

quote]

No it's not at all. :mad:

Character or not, he is not funny. I am even more emphatic about this statement after seeing him again on Paramount last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back