ADHD (1 Viewer)

classic seanc

So, another mental health thread, yay!

what's it all about then?

Does anyone have it/know anyone that does?

Y'see, a friend o mine is getting some nasty grief off a fella with this. Its quite bad, ADHD mixed with infatuation.
I don't know him, but thanks to the internet, a bunch of us are becoming targets of his abuse. And at some stage we're probably gonna come face to face with the guy, so I'd rather that we all had some understanding
of what to expect, cuz otherwise there'd be a good chance he'll be beaten within an inch of his life.

So, whats the usual symptoms/behaviour/treatment etc. Is the treatment effective? I know pretty much nothing about this btw
And like, if you're not a professional care worker, how might you deal with someone who has this if they start fuckin around with you? In real life, not the internet.

Thanks

Sounds to me like the guys acting abusive, acting the prick like. Wonder if it's anything at all to do with his ADHD.

Interesting fact: children in disadvantaged communities in Dublin are more likely to be diagnosed with and medically treated for Attention Deficit Disorder than people from weller offer areas.

Its just a buzzword for cuntishness

heres the cure

punch.jpg

Yeah he is bein a prick. I read one of his blogs and it made me feel pretty sick, especially the bit about our mutual friend.

What'd be the best way to deal with it like. johnnystresses suggestion would be pretty satisfying, but it would prob make things worse in the long term.

seanc said:
So, another mental health thread, yay!

what's it all about then?

Does anyone have it/know anyone that does?

Y'see, a friend o mine is getting some nasty grief off a fella with this. Its quite bad, ADHD mixed with infatuation.
I don't know him, but thanks to the internet, a bunch of us are becoming targets of his abuse. And at some stage we're probably gonna come face to face with the guy, so I'd rather that we all had some understanding
of what to expect, cuz otherwise there'd be a good chance he'll be beaten within an inch of his life.

So, whats the usual symptoms/behaviour/treatment etc. Is the treatment effective? I know pretty much nothing about this btw
And like, if you're not a professional care worker, how might you deal with someone who has this if they start fuckin around with you? In real life, not the internet.

Thanks
is this something to do with beebo?

wikipedia said:
In children the disorder is characterized by inattentiveness, impulsive behavior, and restlessness. The inattentiveness often appears as a difficulty with sustaining attention or persisting toward activities, particularly those that are not especially interesting or rewarding.

sorry for getting off topic but who makes this shit up? sounds like a description of children to me.

if it is down to ADHD then he's still being a prick anyway. i take it your mutual friend isn't in a position to cut contact, etc.? can you talk to someone who knows him and who he'd listen to about it? that might be a good bet.

DuncheeKnifed said:
sorry for getting off topic but who makes this shit up? sounds like a description of children to me.

if it is down to ADHD then he's still being a prick anyway. i take it your mutual friend isn't in a position to cut contact, etc.? can you talk to someone who knows him and who he'd listen to about it? that might be a good bet.

Maybe, but I've never met him, so we have no other mutual friends besides the one his obsessed with. I know of him only through the internet as yet, But I will be goin down to his part of the country a few times over the summer.

But it seems yee're all sayin that this is him-bein-a-prick related, and not adhd-related.

Seanc has the guy been diagnosed with ADHD ?
I've never heard of it much in adults. I work with children who have special educational needs, including a few with ADHD. Its very hard somethimes to distinguish between ADHD and just plain bad behaviour, at least with the kids I deal with. There's no real definitive way to diagnose it as far as I know, just a list of behaviours/characteristics that can point to it. And there's definitely a link with socio-economic background, at least in some cases. I'm thinking of one little guy who has been diagnosed with it and is on Ritalin,which doesnt do much good, especially when his mum doesnt bother to fill the prescription...He's incredibly angry and agressive. He has a very screwed up home situation and a mother who cant cope with him at all. He also has an insane little brother. They are the terrible two...
I havent really answered your question have I...I'd just be wary of labelling someone with ADHD unless you know for sure.

coraline said:
Seanc has the guy been diagnosed with ADHD ?
I've never heard of it much in adults. I work with children who have special educational needs, including a few with ADHD. Its very hard somethimes to distinguish between ADHD and just plain bad behaviour, at least with the kids I deal with. There's no real definitive way to diagnose it as far as I know, just a list of behaviours/characteristics that can point to it. And there's definitely a link with socio-economic background, at least in some cases. I'm thinking of one little guy who has been diagnosed with it and is on Ritalin,which doesnt do much good, especially when his mum doesnt bother to fill the prescription...He's incredibly angry and agressive. He has a very screwed up home situation and a mother who cant cope with him at all. He also has an insane little brother. They are the terrible two...
I havent really answered your question have I...I'd just be wary of labelling someone with ADHD unless you know for sure.

we're gettin somewhere now.

Yep he has been diagnosed with it. The wikipedia article posted earlier says that it can happen in adults. Do people grow out of it? Perhaps he had it, doesn't anymore, but is also a prick. Or perhaps he still has it, and is also a prick. I can't be sure.

This thread has been helpful.

seanc said:
we're gettin somewhere now.

Yep he has been diagnosed with it. The wikipedia article posted earlier says that it can happen in adults. Do people grow out of it? Perhaps he had it, doesn't anymore, but is also a prick. Or perhaps he still has it, and is also a prick. I can't be sure.

This thread has been helpful.

People can grow out of it to some extent. Does it matter though ? Like is knowing the cause of his behaviour ( chemical/adhd/general asshole ness) going to change how you react to him ?

coraline said:
People can grow out of it to some extent. Does it matter though ? Like is knowing the cause of his behaviour ( chemical/adhd/general asshole ness) going to change how you react to him ?
Well yeah, kinda. If it's something that someone can't help doin.

cupla years ago, I was out with my girlfriend at the time one night, and some guy started hugging her. Then he grabbed a handful of her hair, put it to his face and smelled it deeply, while pulling her more closely to her. I thought this to be a little fuckin creepy, so I pulled him off her and pushed him away and told him to fuck off. He laughed to himself, and left. I was livid.

Then people were looking at me, shocked at my behaviour, because they all knew (I didn't) that the guy had schizophrenia. Which therefore meant I was a bad man for wanting to put my boot in his face.

Therefore, in this somewhat similar (though not identical) case, I wanna err on the side of caution. know what I mean?

Yeah I know what you mean, but I think schizophrenia is a bit different. People/kids with adhd still have some choice in their behaviour and I dont agree with explaining away antisocial/violent/aggressive/whatever behaviour with a label. The kid I was talking about now thinks he has full license to be as bratty and disruptive as he likes without any repercussions because he has adhd.

if you didnt know the guy was schizophrenic then you didnt really do anything wrong.

coraline said:
Yeah I know what you mean, but I think schizophrenia is a bit different. People/kids with adhd still have some choice in their behaviour and I dont agree with explaining away antisocial/violent/aggressive/whatever behaviour with a label. The kid I was talking about now thinks he has full license to be as bratty and disruptive as he likes without any repercussions because he has adhd.

if you didnt know the guy was schizophrenic then you didnt really do anything wrong.

Cool. Bear in mind that I know nothing about ADHD.
regarding the schizphrenic dude, I didn't think i was rong either. But no one else felt that way, especially not the girlfriend, who's now the ex girlfriend.
These sorta issues sometimes necessitate walking on eggshells, for the sake of everyone involved. unfortunatly

well what age is he and when was he diagnosed. The thing with ADHD is that it usually exists with other disorders in adults. It's not really an explanation for him acting like a prick basically, but he may have other conduct disorders. I think something like 80% of adults with ADHD have ocnduct disorder, depression or a drug/alcohol problem. ADHD is overdiagnosed anyway, throw some ritalin his way, although he's probably already taking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back