Aaah, The Galway... (1 Viewer)

Dan (26 Feb, 2002 04:35 p.m.):
Yip, They were cool, but I think they dissappeared around 96 or so. They used to play in Monroes, which was a deadly pub, until some prick took it over and changed into a whole load of shite.

There was and probably still are bands in Galway that are good and trying to do something new, but theres nowhere for them to play.

sigh...someone remembers...I remember in Galway there was us, then there was a kind of Jethro Tull-esque band called Judas Diary, and then maybe one or two other original bands who gigged when they could, as well as a few of the requisite metal bands.

But I agree Dan, there really wasn't a "scene". There was Monroe's and Roisin's and that was about it, and then there was just Roisin's. This wasn't because the people were assholes though, but because there just weren't enough people to support a scene. It really is as simple as that. And the only scene there was, the famous Galway "arts scene", was the preserve of an older generation who were more likely to promote trad, blues, theatre, literature, and "festivals", whatever they are.

Most musicians who had an interest in music other than trad or other rootsy stuff either joined covers bands, got proper jobs, or packed up and left. Even Big Bag of Sticks had to play elsewhere to sustain themselves, and they were as raggle taggle as you get. Maybe they were too smelly even for the arts people.

But you know, the memories are great....

isn't there a pub in galway called the 'blue note' or something ?
i remember having a rake of pints in there years ago and the music was pretty good.

mugwump (28 Feb, 2002 03:18 p.m.):
isn't there a pub in galway called the 'blue note' or something ?
i remember having a rake of pints in there years ago and the music was pretty good.

The Blue Note was okay, but they were on this acid jazz trip all the time so you'd get sick of hearing that levis ad thing by Norman Cook followed by Corduroy followed by some other Jamiroquai effort.

I think Galway is also the only place where you see people staggering down the main street with a bottle of Buckfast and you think nothing of it. In fact, some guys I knew even had a magazine dedicated to the drink called "Buckfast Supernova". It was pretty good.

Aagh, buckfast supernova...sheer brilliance. I used know a guy who wrote in that, they'd definitely give the evil gerald or the slate a run for they're money. I had a bottle of "B" up beside the canal in Portobello a few weeks ago and it brought back those old galway days. I'd say there's more Bucky sold in Galway than in the rest of the country.

Were you in Voice of Cheese Snaybus? If you were I was talking to you at some stage I'd say.

Dan (01 Mar, 2002 08:10 a.m.):
Aagh, buckfast supernova...sheer brilliance. I used know a guy who wrote in that, they'd definitely give the evil gerald or the slate a run for they're money. I had a bottle of "B" up beside the canal in Portobello a few weeks ago and it brought back those old galway days. I'd say there's more Bucky sold in Galway than in the rest of the country.

Were you in Voice of Cheese Snaybus? If you were I was talking to you at some stage I'd say.

Well I knew Sean and Matt who wrote the Buckfast Supernova. Nice guys, Sean was well into his Dinosaur Jr and Matt was well into his football. It was really good. I remember they had some story about the vowel smuggling trade in Yugoslavia, and how some minister Grznstz
was very concerned about this, especially the concentration of smuggling around the town of Spltznkkgn.

Okay, they told it funnier than that. It was funny, really. But some of the stories may have been lifted from the Onion or something, I'm not sure.

And yes, I had the dubious honour of playing guitar for VOC.

My old band played in Galway a number of times. Sally Longs, Monroes even in Vagabonds.

Sally's was the best, we even learnt an Iron Maiden song especially! Of course after playing loads of originals the only comment we got afterwards was "Do you do any other maiden songs?"

Still though, I met the wan in Galway. At an indie club where Darragh Purcell was the dj! I can still picture him getting out of the dj box to shake his long hair to Supersonic by Oasis!!

Galway = wet feet

Anthony (01 Mar, 2002 10:37 a.m.):
an indie club where Darragh Purcell was the dj! I can still picture him getting out of the dj box to shake his long hair to Supersonic by Oasis!!

I always knew Oasis were kool e shin

Anthony (01 Mar, 2002 10:37 a.m.):
Still though, I met the wan in Galway. At an indie club where Darragh Purcell was the dj! I can still picture him getting out of the dj box to shake his long hair to Supersonic by Oasis!!

Darragh Purcell eh, after a severe slaggin at a gig in the olympia one night that guy has actually crossed a road to avoid me the crossed back when i'd passed!!!! But why i wonder cause i'm lovely....

If you were wearin what your wearin in your foto, then that dosent suprise me...

PeeWee (01 Mar, 2002 03:06 p.m.):
If you were wearin what your wearin in your foto, then that dosent suprise me...

Hey!!! i reckon red swimsuit outfits look great. i mean everyones doin it....mmm mabe not

dudley (26 Feb, 2002 02:55 p.m.):
2 deadly restaurants in galway = the clay oven beside the spanish arch. if you're lucky the waiter might spill your curry all over himself and use your napkin to clean the mess and then put the napkin back in front of you like me. also the floor is lopsided. deadly food though

Yip, The Clay Oven Rules! Wobbly floor, funney waiters, the indian tiger beer (yum), yeah great place... Banged my head on the door frame when I was leaving... Galway = small doors

Yeah, He's taking his new SG...

It was one of those weekend away deals in a Hotel, 2 nights 2 breakfasts anna dinner...
Grand it was too...
The Hotel was called the west county or somthing, I cant remember, the wan set it all up like, I only had to show up... I'll find ou' bu'...

I'm off to Galway this weekend. And I've taken some time off work to grow my mad dreadlocks. God, I'm mad....

Dudley,
Westwood House Hotel.
Dangan, Upper newcastle, Galway city.
Reservations 1850 366000
Phone no: 091 521442
[email protected]
http://www.westwoodhousehotel.com

Not on a bus route so expect loads of taxis, ten mins from town and being GAlway, the fares are nice and cheap... Enjoy

cheers ommo

we're not going though
heuston is closed this weekend or something stupid and after ringing 17(!) b+b's the other night i've lost interest

weekend in front of the telly i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back