Aaah, The Galway... (1 Viewer)

Goodbye

I'm off there this weekend for a bit of an awl rest and whatnot... grand.

Anyone know of any gigs going on in The Galway this Fryday and Saturday nights?

2 deadly restaurants in galway = the clay oven beside the spanish arch. if you're lucky the waiter might spill your curry all over himself and use your napkin to clean the mess and then put the napkin back in front of you like me. also the floor is lopsided. deadly food though

the trattoria on shop st was rockin as well, prob the nicest meal out ever (tm)

maybe i'm becoming obsessed with you, ommo?

cool pizza place near Dubh's- real cheap and the food is beautiful-
plus everytime you are in there the lady asks:
are ya up from the 'Big Smoke'
try it out

peewee hope I cautched ye on time
it's deniece of your one-an-only, will ya do us a favour an tell her to give us a ring ....
I hate yer stoopid answering machine.
give dan cullen a ring he'll know lotsa places for ya to go.
cheers

Galways a nice place and all, but after four years in college there, you get pretty sick of it. For all the hype and talk, very little really happens there, its as culturally progressive as something thats not that culturally progressive. When I was there (95-99) the only bands that ever played were really shit funk bands and an overwhelming amount of 80's covers bands. And its not just my opinion, practically everyone I knew well who lived in Galway at the time has left it and promised never to go back.

If all you want in life is restaurants though, Galways definitely heaven. I need a little more than that myself though..

Dan (26 Feb, 2002 04:04 p.m.):
Galways a nice place and all, but after four years in college there, you get pretty sick of it. For all the hype and talk, very little really happens there, its as culturally progressive as something thats not that culturally progressive. When I was there (95-99) the only bands that ever played were really shit funk bands and an overwhelming amount of 80's covers bands. And its not just my opinion, practically everyone I knew well who lived in Galway at the time has left it and promised never to go back.

If all you want in life is restaurants though, Galways definitely heaven. I need a little more than that myself though..

Do you remember a band called Voice of Cheese?

great name...

Yip, They were cool, but I think they dissappeared around 96 or so. They used to play in Monroes, which was a deadly pub, until some prick took it over and changed into a whole load of shite.

There was and probably still are bands in Galway that are good and trying to do something new, but theres nowhere for them to play.

When I was there (95-99) the only bands that ever played were really shit funk bands and an overwhelming amount of 80's covers bands.

that sounds exactly like Maynooth from 93-97...there were a few exceptions like Tension (anyone remember Tension - great fucking band)...actually thats about it...The Sultans of Ping played once and Doctor and the Medics, who refused to play "Spirit in The Sky", their only "good" song...jesus they were shit live.
The rest was all 80's cover bands and local "Indie" bands who all sounded the same and couldn't play their instruments.

mugwump (26 Feb, 2002 04:36 p.m.):
When I was there (95-99) the only bands that ever played were really shit funk bands and an overwhelming amount of 80's covers bands.

that sounds exactly like Maynooth from 93-97...

right so, i see nothin's changed then.

ya shoulda heard the shite that's been on here for rag week so far.
jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus

Tension - yep, I remember 'em well. They used to be called Not Our World back in the bad old days, and unless I'm much mistaken the "Niall" who contributes here is a former member of both bands. (Can anyone confirm or deny this?)

By the way, is Ayre Square still full of cider-drunk crusties with dogs on strings?

Can't they pack these people into bogholes or something?

mugwump (26 Feb, 2002 04:36 p.m.):

that sounds exactly like Maynooth from 93-97...there were a few exceptions like Tension (anyone remember Tension - great fucking band)...actually thats about it...The Sultans of Ping played once and Doctor and the Medics, who refused to play "Spirit in The Sky", their only "good" song...jesus they were shit live.
The rest was all 80's cover bands and local "Indie" bands who all sounded the same and couldn't play their instruments.

Anne O'Malley (26 Feb, 2002 06:08 p.m.):
Tension - yep, I remember 'em well. They used to be called Not Our World back in the bad old days, and unless I'm much mistaken the "Niall" who contributes here is a former member of both bands. (Can anyone confirm or deny this?)

I know Niall will correct me on this, but....

Tension were originally Michael Mullen & Ross Neville & released a 7" and had a track on the Statement 12" under the name Wheel

Not Our World were originally a 3 piece - ger, niall and hugh - but at some point had 4 members, two of which are now in joan of arse... (here's a 1989 video of them playing with Fugazi in McGonagles)

Ger from Not Our World joined the two Wheel lads and formed Tension after N.O.W. split up

or maybe not

http://thumped.com/bands/banddetail.asp?bid=92 is as good a good place to start as anywhere

Ger from Not Our World - would he be the man known as "Rabbit"?

pete (26 Feb, 2002 06:31 p.m.):
Anne O'Malley (26 Feb, 2002 06:08 p.m.):

I know Niall will correct me on this, but....

Tension were originally Michael Mullen & Ross Neville & released a 7" and had a track on the Statement 12" under the name Wheel

Not Our World were originally a 3 piece - ger, niall and hugh - but at some point had 4 members, two of which are now in joan of arse... (here's a 1989 video of them playing with Fugazi in McGonagles)

Ger from Not Our World joined the two Wheel lads and formed Tension after N.O.W. split up

or maybe not

http://thumped.com/bands/banddetail.asp?bid=92 is as good a good place to start as anywhere

check out Fuktifino and the New Noise Collective they rock the house, i think there gigs are usually on Wednesdays and Sundays though. theres usually a jazz band in Brennans Yard, thats the social welfare office side of town, on fridays and saturdays thats worth a look. otherwise theres loads of class pubs and the pints are cheaper and better than Dublin, and of course theres the craic.....

deniece (26 Feb, 2002 03:32 p.m.):
peewee hope I cautched ye on time
it's deniece of your one-an-only, will ya do us a favour an tell her to give us a ring ....
I hate yer stoopid answering machine.
give dan cullen a ring he'll know lotsa places for ya to go.
cheers

Holy Jayzuz, are you spying on me or wha?

Whats wrong wi me stoopid answering machine?

I'll get th' wan ti give yih a buzz, but your gonna have to leave a message on the machine first. Heh heh

de bootiful tinkle of moi vice will
neva fall on dat 'orrible aparartus
of yers tell 'er to ring me or
der'll be slaps!!!!

thank you kindly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back