• Replies 42
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 3

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
How do you turn off?

I'm on about 4 hours of sleep these days..3 till 8 ..five hours if i'm lucky .I can't turn my brain off.Its just go go go go go go..heres a tune gaz..this could be great man...imagine this..etc...
So I drink and pass out and wake only to wake up with a hangover and it's like the ideas have been forming a gang while I'm asleep.And its GO TIME.PANIC!! they all want to be sang.Fuck yer hangover..its GO TIME.WE ARE YOUR SONGS!!!

I can't hold down a job I can't do anything.I'm handicapped

I walk in the woods and the whole place comes alive with fucking music and fucking artistic visions.
The only place it dosent happen is Dublin city centre..but there I'm too paranoid to move..unless I have a buzz on..then I'll do a gig in yer front garden.But you can't live like that.

I'm thinking I need to live on a mountain in Spain.

I feel guilty when I'm not writing.

I'm worn out.

So..other writers..what do you's do to switch off?

And don't say gear.

And this is'nt a complaint..I don't wanna change how my brain works..but surely I can't be the only artist around here.What do ya's do to relax the cax.In a non destructive manner.

I want to be normal.Or just..not be bored with everything all the time and have to resort to my imagination.

I fucking love it in there in fairness

This isnt a humblebrag.

Its a legitimate question.

How do you deal with it..thats all I'm asking

i've been doing 19 hour days for the last few weeks and i don't have an artistic bone in my body. YOU'RE NOT SO SPECIAL.

Im not SPECIAL?!

You need to check yer fucking dictionary Peter me auld segoshia.

Anyway ,new threads are the life of a forum.

You need to do nothing like work or music after 9pm at the very latest. Just stop and read a book for a few hours to wind down a bit, bed midnight, otherwise your head will be racing all night.
I get super bored with reading and telly and everything

Books..I used to love books..but I read all John Wyndam,Pg.Wodehouse,Oscar Wilde,AC Clarke,All of the classic English shit..and I ran out of titles

I'd ead all the classics..allthe classic comedy of erors shit..allthe heartbreak(wutherhing heights at least ten time by now)

last GREAT book I read was the DiVincini Code..read it in a day..and aI swear to gad,,,I lived my life tthat day like a race against time.

You need to do nothing like work or music after 9pm at the very latest. Just stop and read a book for a few hours to wind down a bit, bed midnight, otherwise your head will be racing all night.

I'm gonna do this,I'm gona turn or the machines and read George Elliot again

or something new
I dunno..a good friend of mine said I should read Master and Commander..and it litrally kiled my love of reading inless than a chapter

I was going to suggest you have a chat with a mutual friend who also experiences the "up all nights" and who also can't function in normal society

But going by The Master and Commander thing it seems you already have

I have found that my iPad , phone etc has left me unable to concentrate long enough to read anymore. I've started a pile of books and given up because I can't focus.
I say "less social media-more physical exertion"
I say it but I don't do it

I just quit songwriting for months on end. I don't stop thinking about it, i just refuse to engage it. Then I do loads of it for a while. I fully believe if you do it immersively for too long you'll start validating things that you wouldn't normally.

I get super bored with reading and telly and everything

Books..I used to love books..but I read all John Wyndam,Pg.Wodehouse,Oscar Wilde,AC Clarke,All of the classic English shit..and I ran out of titles

I'd ead all the classics..allthe classic comedy of erors shit..allthe heartbreak(wutherhing heights at least ten time by now)

last GREAT book I read was the DiVincini Code..read it in a day..and aI swear to gad,,,I lived my life tthat day like a race against time.

WTF

That doesn't and cannot happen. Get back to work you reading slacker.

Yeah I think the thing is being disciplined with your time. And in the case of just not being able to turn it off, maybe sleeping with a notebook beside your bed so you can jot something down and then move on. I suffer from hardcore racing thoughts at night, not for artistic reasons but for anxiety reasons, and I have to listen to podcasts before sleep/while going to sleep, so I can focus my brain on something else. Maybe soft music, or something too. Sleeping properly is something you have to train your mind and body into doing, so be disciplined and it'll happen. It won't if you indulge too much.

meditation is pretty much the discipline of stopping the inner voice at will ... get serious about switching off ... as silence is to music, so mental quietness is to mental activity: without it there's only a crazy clattering.

I get it. When I'm working on a song it's pretty much ALL I can think about. Once it's done it's done. Nice to spend time away from technology. I was at Loughcrew yesterday, it was great.

I get it. When I'm working on a song it's pretty much ALL I can think about. Once it's done it's done. Nice to spend time away from technology. I was at Loughcrew yesterday, it was great.

was that the storytelling thing? A mate in work was at it, said it was deadly.

These days I only really have about half an hour or so at around 10 at night to play guitar. I'm actually coming up with loads of stuff that I record with one of those little field recorder things but haven't had the time to kind of record properly or put lyrics to or anything like that. It's kind of how I unwind at night. I'm normally too knackered to stay awake after that.

I actually being on the internet harder to switch off from. I never really go online outside of work these days

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back