2019 albums worth a listen..... (3 Viewers)

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Threads
sorry to tell you all, its lana's world we are just living in it. Norman fucking rockwell is...honestly, so good.

Just listening to this now on your recommendation..instant 10/10

Nice one

Lili Marlene

Fast as You Can
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Some reviews from me:

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors - Lyrically and musically really powerful but it's a step sideways rather than a jump into pop. Even with the massive production it's almost as if she's hiding herself in the songs, looking away from the audience where she had previously been moving towards the centre-stage with bigger choruses and pop songs like Shut Up Kiss Me. It's a really interesting listen, like it a lot.

Lana Del Ray - Norman Fucking Rockwell - hate it hate it hate it. Music for absolute narcissists that could be written by algorithm at this point. My view is that her songwriting comes from the same place as Noel Gallagher's in that it's nothing but reference points for people to clap themselves on the back for being so clever for getting, except he thinks he's a genius while she's probably doing it all on purpose so fair play I guess. It's a waste of my time, but if it makes you feel full of self-love and self-confidence, which I think her stuff is supposed to do, then there's space for that in this world isn't there?

Big Thief - Two Hands - Really liking it. I struggled with UFOF as I do with almost all acoustic guitar music, and I'm hit and miss with Big Thief at the best of times, but this one I'm enjoying on the first few listens. I want to dig into the lyrics a bit more, i've only scratched the surface there.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Ghosteen - I'm not a huge Nick Cave fan but my mates who are are raving about this and it does seem really beautiful based on a few listens.

hiadudiad?

Supporter
Threads
Ive listened to it. I think its good. Some of it not very but some of it quite

Im gonna play it thrice to see if it sticks
Some very nice musical bits, it was mainly the singing that bugged me. It took me a while to come around to his last one too but I did eventually.

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Threads
Some reviews from me:

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors - Lyrically and musically really powerful but it's a step sideways rather than a jump into pop. Even with the massive production it's almost as if she's hiding herself in the songs, looking away from the audience where she had previously been moving towards the centre-stage with bigger choruses and pop songs like Shut Up Kiss Me. It's a really interesting listen, like it a lot.

Lana Del Ray - Norman Fucking Rockwell - hate it hate it hate it. Music for absolute narcissists that could be written by algorithm at this point. My view is that her songwriting comes from the same place as Noel Gallagher's in that it's nothing but reference points for people to clap themselves on the back for being so clever for getting, except he thinks he's a genius while she's probably doing it all on purpose so fair play I guess. It's a waste of my time, but if it makes you feel full of self-love and self-confidence, which I think her stuff is supposed to do, then there's space for that in this world isn't there?

Big Thief - Two Hands - Really liking it. I struggled with UFOF as I do with almost all acoustic guitar music, and I'm hit and miss with Big Thief at the best of times, but this one I'm enjoying on the first few listens. I want to dig into the lyrics a bit more, i've only scratched the surface there.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Ghosteen - I'm not a huge Nick Cave fan but my mates who are are raving about this and it does seem really beautiful based on a few listens.
I hear what your saying RE Lana .. some of the lyrics are poor,made me wince a bit the first time I heard some of them And her use of fuck is highly questionable..fairly gratuitous I think .

But I'm concerned thats because I'm getting on a bit and I'm just not down with the kids ..not that shes a kid by any stretch of the imagination . Maybe I'm not down with the auldwans either

Lili Marlene

Fast as You Can
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Ah to hell with the kids, I see no point in pandering to them. Personally I just have no time for Lana's shtick of flattering rather than challenging the listener but sure she has a billion fans ready to die for her so I think she'll be alright.

Last edited:

dunderhead

Threads
Finally arrived- godammit I love this album. This thread is gold.
PS I was rifling through the label it's released on and bought a bunch of other stuff- some really excellent music of all shapes and sizes, e.g.
yeah, had it on serious rotation for a few weeks. It's fantastic, Must check out more stuff from the label also. must investigate that link tomorrow for starts

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

We're listening to...

• The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
    Memorial
    Explosions In The Sky
    The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
  • Vols. 11 & 12
    Noses in Roses, Forever
    Desert Sessions
    Vols. 11 & 12
  • In The Zone
    Toxic
    Britney Spears
    In The Zone

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads