2019 albums worth a listen..... (1 Viewer)

sorry to tell you all, its lana's world we are just living in it. Norman fucking rockwell is...honestly, so good.

packshot.jpg
Just listening to this now on your recommendation..instant 10/10

Nice one

Some reviews from me:

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors - Lyrically and musically really powerful but it's a step sideways rather than a jump into pop. Even with the massive production it's almost as if she's hiding herself in the songs, looking away from the audience where she had previously been moving towards the centre-stage with bigger choruses and pop songs like Shut Up Kiss Me. It's a really interesting listen, like it a lot.

Lana Del Ray - Norman Fucking Rockwell - hate it hate it hate it. Music for absolute narcissists that could be written by algorithm at this point. My view is that her songwriting comes from the same place as Noel Gallagher's in that it's nothing but reference points for people to clap themselves on the back for being so clever for getting, except he thinks he's a genius while she's probably doing it all on purpose so fair play I guess. It's a waste of my time, but if it makes you feel full of self-love and self-confidence, which I think her stuff is supposed to do, then there's space for that in this world isn't there?

Big Thief - Two Hands - Really liking it. I struggled with UFOF as I do with almost all acoustic guitar music, and I'm hit and miss with Big Thief at the best of times, but this one I'm enjoying on the first few listens. I want to dig into the lyrics a bit more, i've only scratched the surface there.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Ghosteen - I'm not a huge Nick Cave fan but my mates who are are raving about this and it does seem really beautiful based on a few listens.

Some reviews from me:

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors - Lyrically and musically really powerful but it's a step sideways rather than a jump into pop. Even with the massive production it's almost as if she's hiding herself in the songs, looking away from the audience where she had previously been moving towards the centre-stage with bigger choruses and pop songs like Shut Up Kiss Me. It's a really interesting listen, like it a lot.

Lana Del Ray - Norman Fucking Rockwell - hate it hate it hate it. Music for absolute narcissists that could be written by algorithm at this point. My view is that her songwriting comes from the same place as Noel Gallagher's in that it's nothing but reference points for people to clap themselves on the back for being so clever for getting, except he thinks he's a genius while she's probably doing it all on purpose so fair play I guess. It's a waste of my time, but if it makes you feel full of self-love and self-confidence, which I think her stuff is supposed to do, then there's space for that in this world isn't there?

Big Thief - Two Hands - Really liking it. I struggled with UFOF as I do with almost all acoustic guitar music, and I'm hit and miss with Big Thief at the best of times, but this one I'm enjoying on the first few listens. I want to dig into the lyrics a bit more, i've only scratched the surface there.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Ghosteen - I'm not a huge Nick Cave fan but my mates who are are raving about this and it does seem really beautiful based on a few listens.
I hear what your saying RE Lana .. some of the lyrics are poor,made me wince a bit the first time I heard some of them And her use of fuck is highly questionable..fairly gratuitous I think .

But I'm concerned thats because I'm getting on a bit and I'm just not down with the kids ..not that shes a kid by any stretch of the imagination . Maybe I'm not down with the auldwans either

Ah to hell with the kids, I see no point in pandering to them. Personally I just have no time for Lana's shtick of flattering rather than challenging the listener but sure she has a billion fans ready to die for her so I think she'll be alright.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Actually this belongs here

Lankum on NPR

try this link @shitepipe

Finally arrived- godammit I love this album. This thread is gold.
PS I was rifling through the label it's released on and bought a bunch of other stuff- some really excellent music of all shapes and sizes, e.g.

Finally arrived- godammit I love this album. This thread is gold.
PS I was rifling through the label it's released on and bought a bunch of other stuff- some really excellent music of all shapes and sizes, e.g.

yeah, had it on serious rotation for a few weeks. It's fantastic, Must check out more stuff from the label also. must investigate that link tomorrow for starts

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back