11 people got 8 A1s (1 Viewer)

I am almost positive I saw a documantary on itv years ago about medicne and how it is taught. They pitched straight from school straight A students against people who already had degrees in things ranging from arts to engineering. After 18 months of lectures and hospital placements the arts students were top of the class.The researches at the college involved ( cannot remember now) claimed this was due to thier ability to process relevant information faster. They were better at plucking the important information from texts and had a better questioning technique when it came to talking to patients.

I cant remember the end of it though

Some poeple are good at exams not many good at actually understanding what it is they are writing down. In my class in school there were 3 or 4 students deemed 550 plus types.All did Law or Business and the last I heard all changed courses because they just couldnt cope left to their own devises.

In University I think the most important skill is the ability to understand the thing and never be afraid to ask for clarificartion. I got a just about average Leaving Cert but was getting firsts and 1h throughout my time in college. This was because I could learn in a way that suited me and not have to squich ridiculous amounts of irrelevant information into my brain in a 40 minute class.

Good Luck to all who got their results have a good time tonight and enjoy whatever it is you are going t do next

If this thread were a leaving cert exam i'd have failed before i even started. i was lucky/unfortunate in that i was informed of my acceptance into third level ed prior to actually doing my leaving cert. Top marks in English and art. Walked out of my maths exam on account of the weather; and guessed the rest. 380 or somthing. I think. Probably lower.

Say whay you like about the academic and practical approach that students take to this exam. Talk forever about percentages, trends, third level competancy; but i'll tell you what:

It's a fucking stupid way to end six/seven years of above-standard education

Some proper geniuses went to fucking pieces during sixth year in my kip and never sat the fucking exam. I'm sure they went on to repeat or succeed regardless; but fuck. What an uneccessary nightmare. The poor cunts.

I am almost positive I saw a documantary on itv years ago about medicne and how it is taught. They pitched straight from school straight A students against people who already had degrees in things ranging from arts to engineering. After 18 months of lectures and hospital placements the arts students were top of the class.The researches at the college involved ( cannot remember now) claimed this was due to thier ability to process relevant information faster. They were better at plucking the important information from texts and had a better questioning technique when it came to talking to patients.

Some poeple are good at exams not many good at actually understanding what it is they are writing down. In my class in school there were 3 or 4 students deemed 550 plus types.All did Law or Business and the last I heard all changed courses because they just couldnt cope left to their own devises.

In University I think the most important skill is the ability to understand the thing and never be afraid to ask for clarificartion. I got a just about average Leaving Cert but was getting firsts and 1h throughout my time in college. This was because I could learn in a way that suited me and not have to squich ridiculous amounts of irrelevant information into my brain in a 40 minute class.

Good Luck to all who got their results have a good time tonight and enjoy whatever it is you are going t do next

thats very interesting. maybe us arts students arent so dopey afterall

8 pages of hummin and hawin about the state of the irish eduction sytem has been leading to what must surely have been on everyone's mind.
BOO YEAH!

Over in eirecore it only took a few posts.

So someone who's done a few years in college will be better at learning stuff than someone straight out of school, makes perfect sense to me.

Say whay you like about the academic and practical approach that students take to this exam. Talk forever about percentages, trends, third level competancy; but i'll tell you what:

It's a fucking stupid way to end six/seven years of above-standard education

Best post so far.

the leaving cert is such an irrelevancy once you get a year or two under your belts..its a pity its made such a big thing of when your a teeneager. What a blunt instrument to test your intellect!

For the record I got 385 I think, have constantly got top marks throughout undergrad and post grad. Its all in Arts mind - but the point being the leaving cert was a crap tool to measure my intellectual ability...its geared towards measuring one kind of intelligence, albeit a useful kind for some.

(just not us wanky, art-farty, up the bum types)

tbl19.jpg

(just not us wanky, art-farty, up the bum types)

tbl19.jpg

:D

But the leaving isn't about intelligence. It is, largely (with a partial exception granted to practical subjects) about ability to absorb and regurgitate information, which is not to take away from anyone who excels at this, I envy them greatly, but, ultimately, the Leaving Cert is a memory/stress test.

Over in eirecore it only took a few posts.

So someone who's done a few years in college will be better at learning stuff than someone straight out of school, makes perfect sense to me.

I think that was the point they were trying to make. They wanted to reform the way medicine was taught and the type of student they were teaching it to.

I've been in and out of hospitals every second day for the past month and the doctors I've spoken to have been nice, gentle, articulate, with a good dose of practical cop-on, so I'm not sure where all this stuff about people with good academic ability being hopeless otherwise comes from.

I've been in and out of hospitals every second day for the past month and the doctors I've spoken to have been nice, gentle, articulate, with a good dose of practical cop-on, so I'm not sure where all this stuff about people with good academic ability being hopeless otherwise comes from.

well like I said it was only for the first year or so

the english exam is far too heavily weighted in favour of prescribed poerty and prose. they should swing the emphasis around, and make it about unprescribed poetry and prose, and teach kids how to read rather than regurgitate.

the english exam is far too heavily weighted in favour of prescribed poerty and prose. they should swing the emphasis around, and make it about unprescribed poetry and prose, and teach kids how to read rather than regurgitate.

this man right here, he knows where it's at.

of course if they did no one would read any poems until the day of their mocks

From what I've found, people are more comfortable when they are memorising and regurgitating facts. I remember in college most of my fellow students committing 10s of lines of computer code of an algorithm to memory rather than simply understanding the idea behind the algorithm.

I think this is also why students tend to do poorer in subjects like Leaving Cert Maths. Leaving Cert Maths is all about using the rules that you've learned in combination with your own logic and reasoning to solve problems. There is no regurgitation of facts. You have to think for yourself.

In fairness in the working world, most of the time you have to have a nose for what needs to be done, do it and to hell with everything else, so at least the exams prepare you for that.

The English course is far too long. Nabokov once said something to the effect that you learn much more from knowing one writer well than having skimmed over lots of authors; real understanding comes from rereading books.

Lots of subjects you can't get an A1 in any subject by learning and regurgitating facts, I would imagine. Not in a language. Not in maths/applied maths.

You can get a long way in college/real life by regurgitating facts too, let's not forget. Life isn't fair, boys and girls

Did Nabokov know much about english literature or did he just write it? Milton spent 20 years or something studying the ancient classics before he felt worthy enough to begin Paradise Lost

I read an interesting idea somewhere about how good teaching is done for the sake of the information not the student - that a good teacher is teaching Shakespeare to kids not so that they get an appreciation of Shakespeare but rather that Shakespeare survives and is passed down to another generation.

I kind of like that idea.

So perhaps its not all about appreciation, on some level you have to push the information in there aand let them assimilate on their own time.

(My mother reads nothing but Meave Binchey and Hello but can quote Wordsworth and Tennyson like Uncle Monty on speed - it's the strangest thing.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back