11 people got 8 A1s (2 Viewers)

Colaiste Mhic Chairthinn, Monaghan. is the 10 th school

Its nice to see a vocational school had a kid who did well instead of loads of grind/private schools. Yeats and Castleknock are the only ones i see on the list so far

I always got the impression that these people who could get all A1s never really derived much satisfaction from said achievement.

I mean, they had this aptitude where everything school-related was mad easy to them and not a challenge in any way, shape or form. There wasn't much they had to do by way of hard slog to achieve it.

Like yer man out of Good Will Hunting.

how come people who get 6 A1s never seem to end up doing english or sociology, it's always law, medicine or theoretical physics?

btw, castleknock community college is different from castleknock college. the former is not fee-paying.

how come people who get 6 A1s never seem to end up doing english or sociology, it's always law, medicine or theoretical physics?

btw, castleknock community college is different from castleknock college. the former is not fee-paying.

The ability to retain and regurgitate facts on command might be a good thing if you are doing law but I cant see how it's any indiction of how good a doctor you are likely to become.

Gots to remember all those diseases.

There's nothing worse than people who ace their exams complaining about how meaningless they are

Or actuary - that one always fascinates me. It must be a terribly dreary occupation, and there is no way anyone could actually have said as a child "when I grow up I want to work with risk tables" and yet people with the world at their feet points wise flock to it.

medicince and law = dosh in vast abundance
english and sociology = doshless labours of love for the most part

I work in a hospital and a lot of the young doctors are either slightly socially inept or arogant and cut-throatedly competitive.

Some people are good at doing exams.
Like, there are two aspects to doing the leaving, knowing your shit, and doing the exam. I know someone who is phenomenal at doing exams. She would do better than me in exams that I definitely knew better.

She is also exceptionally smart, got shit loads of As in her leaving, and is at the pointy end of the clever curve.

But the point is, that there is one or two things that I know waaay more about, and she still did better at the actual exam. In the exams that we were more or less on equal terms, she would kill me.
She freely admitted this to, that she had no interest or major aptitude in the subject but she has absolute confidence in the ability to get an A regardless.

The ability to retain and regurgitate facts on command might be a good thing if you are doing law but I cant see how it's any indiction of how good a doctor you are likely to become.

the acedemic side of studying medicince is hugely rote leaning based(in this country at least); vast ammounts of information have to be devoured and spat out again.

the acedemic side of studying medicince is hugely rote leaning based(in this country at least); vast ammounts of information have to be devoured and spat out again.

true but like you said earlier it means you end up with socially inept people who can't relate to patients or overachievers who don't want to.

I'm sure as long as you aren't below average acedemically you could handle it - and would probably end up a better doctor.

erm, isn't a big part of studying medicine knowing which bone the hip bone is connected to and so on? you can't become a doctor without that baseline of medical knowledge, and unless you've got a photgraphic memory, how will you retain that information? by osmosis?

true but like you said earlier it means you end up with socially inept people who can't relate to patients or overachievers who don't want to.

I'm sure as long as you aren't below average acedemically you could handle it - and would probably end up a better doctor.

i think you can take a basic proficiency exam after a primary degree in the sciences to enter second med now. so i guess anyone that really wants to become a doctor can.

do people who are good/better at learning than average joe necessarily have difficulty relating to others? come on.

Well the failure rates are pretty high. A vet friend told me that the medicine/veterinary courses are designed to filter out people who wouldn’t hack it in the real world, the stress, the life and death stuff, etc.

Clearly though, they don’t filter it well enough, considering the substance abuse, depression and suicide problems in these professions. But that’s not what we're talking about here.

I know someone who did actuarial science (or something) as well actually. He was sound out. He had a job with some investment banking place, got paid great money to push the “return” button on the keyboard all day long. I don’t know who these people are who’d like to be an actuary.

erm, isn't a big part of studying medicine knowing which bone the hip bone is connected to and so on? you can't become a doctor without that baseline of medical knowledge, and unless you've got a photgraphic memory, how will you retain that information? by osmosis?

here, I wasnt saying whether or not I thought it a good thing, I was just stating facts

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back