Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (6 Viewers)

Well, Coronaviridae (nice italics there by the way) are pretty common and they're found in human populations. This lad is a type of coronavirus, but it looks like it hasn't been seen before in humans. It's.... like, maybe theoretically possible that *this specific virus* could evolve in a way to become invisible to the immune system more quickly than other viruses, but it's unlikely.

Evolution is a tricky thing, and it relies on mutation. If you mutate too quickly your genome doesn't replicate successfully and you die. Most of the the genome needs to stay the same from generation to generation, so if you're freely changing it you end up in trouble. Some viruses are clever, and have these special hyper variable regions of the virus that can mutate freely, and leave the rest of it safe (like HIV for example). But normally speaking you need to be very conservative with how you mutate your genome, normally you need it to be ~identical to the previous generation. That same limiting factor helps us, because then normally we only have to come up with a solution to the infection one time, and that works forever.

I don't think I'm explaining this very well.

It's like this I suppose: No matter what happens, minimally 50% of the population of humans on earth will get this thing, and at some point herd immunity will kick in. At this point all we're doing is moving the numbers around of when they catch it, so that we can get to this state of herd immunity without destroying our hospitals. All we're trying to do is slow the rate of infection transmission.
So basically every country's plan is herd immunity but some are trying to take credit for it. SOUNDS LIKE THE BRITS ALRIGHT.

So basically every country's plan is herd immunity but some are trying to take credit for it. SOUNDS LIKE THE BRITS ALRIGHT.

I never completely understood the UK logic. They seemed to think that they were somehow in a special category, and needed to ramp up the infected numbers fast to get to herd immunity fast. No matter what happens herd immunity was always going to happen here, so why do they think they can cope with getting there faster than everyone else?

An exponential is an exponential, and this has either broken (Italy) or some close to breaking (China) health systems. So why should the UK be different?

I guess I don't understand it, but there's cleverer people than me running the shop over there.

I never completely understood the UK logic. They seemed to think that they were somehow in a special category, and needed to ramp up the infected numbers fast to get to herd immunity fast. No matter what happens herd immunity was always going to happen here, so why do they think they can cope with getting there faster than everyone else?

An exponential is an exponential, and this has either broken (Italy) or some close to breaking (China) health systems. So why should the UK be different?

I guess I don't understand it, but there's cleverer people than me running the shop over there. But I really don't understand it.
No there isn't.

@Bernie Lomax tell him.

It just seems the tory bubble went on a solo run and now the experts are trying to herd them in.

I genuinely don't think it was a plan any more than anything boris does is a plan outside of creating his own charicature. I wouldn't spend time trying to read past that for hidden logic.

Show those pricks this thread.

Stat.

Apparently their models for the spread didn't account for how many people were going to die of it. Or they didn't checl.

As in, they figured out how many would catch it with their policy and then overlooked to calculate how many of those infected would die.

Apparently their models for the spread didn't account for how many people were going to die of it. Or they didn't checl.

As in, they figured out how many would catch it with their policy and then overlooked to calculate how many of those infected would die.

Or they didn't care... which is highly likely. Didn't Boris say something along that line... that lots of people will die before their time but it's for the greater good.

Terrible day. My landlady is insisting on doing work in the house this Friday-next Friday which will leave us with no usable kitchen, sometimes no water, and one bathroom. We already only have one bathroom as someone in the house is self isolating. I explained all this but, no dice.

On top of that, I'm too nervous to go see my therapist in her office so I'm asking for a phone call session and that feels weird.

Everything feels weird.

I want to cry.

I get the impression Johnson just runs everything through a what-would-Churchill-do? simulator in his brain, and told everyone to toughen up. Like their collective immune systems had the Dunkirk spirit or something.

Leaders from abroad make bad premiers - Dev, Boris, Hitler - too tapped into fantasy versions of the country and what it's about.

Unfortunately shitload of people have C19 but display zero symptoms and can transmit it everywhere because fuckheads are not following HSE Guidelines.

One of the things China was doing was taking every single person entering and exiting every building like shops, apartment blocks, metro entrances etc and putting in a database and having a good head start on contact tracing. Seemed to really help.

Meant to say
‘Taking every single person’s TEMPERATURE.......’

Terrible day. My landlady is insisting on doing work in the house this Friday-next Friday which will leave us with no usable kitchen, sometimes no water, and one bathroom. We already only have one bathroom as someone in the house is self isolating. I explained all this but, no dice.

tell her you've been talking to Threshold and she can get fucked

I guess I don't understand it, but there's cleverer people than me running the shop over there.

English/British Exceptionalism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back