BREXIT (16 Viewers)

I mean, whether people like it or not, there was a referendum.

There was a referendum, but people were lied to. Since then people had two years (?) to go over things, and it's looking like majority of them don't want what they previously said they wanted. They've changed their minds. I think there needs to be another referendum. If you're going to do democracy you should probably be willing to allow the majority of voters decide what to do. It's looking like the majority don't want to leave the EU.

Fuck fighting in the streets. Just because some lads get a bit agitated doesn't mean you cave at the prospect.

There was a referendum, but people were lied to. Since then people had two years (?) to go over things, and it's looking like majority of them don't want what they previously said they wanted. They've changed their minds. I think there needs to be another referendum. If you're going to do democracy you should probably be willing to allow the majority of voters decide what to do. It's looking like the majority don't want to leave the EU.

Fuck fighting in the streets. Just because some lads get a bit agitated doesn't mean you cave at the prospect.
I live in the UK and I don’t think that’s true. People around me, remain voters, are just sick of the whole thing and now want to get it done and get on with their lives. The thought of another referendum is really unappealing. I’d say the result would be much the same or even a bigger margin for leave.

Re fighting in the streets, an MP was murdered in her constituency in broad daylight during the last referendum so I’d say it’s something to be concerned about.

As for me, I’m out of here soon if things fall apart rapidly.

this'll be you trying to leave in a few months

handmaids-tale-season-2-ep-3.jpg

In regards people being lied to, is that much of a reason to have it again? Is there ever a referendum where the truth isn't stretched to the point where you can call it a lie, usually by both sides?

I think the EU will tell Britain to fuck off.
They've been going on about leaving the EU for decades. They've had loads of time to come up with a plan. They've got none. The EU was able to put together a reasonable compromise in two years.

Britain is run by a bunch of stupid oafs. Sure they went to posh schools and universities, but it's like trying to teach a pig Shakespeare.

Westminster isn't working. That's for Britain to fix - not the EU. The EU can't, and shouldn't compromise.

As much as I hate to say it - Britain should leave at the end of March. The people of Northern Ireland should resist a hard border - and a border can be put down the Irish sea.

Britain needs a revolution. Sure it's got a parliament, but it's not a representative parliament and doesn't speak on behalf of British people. Cromwell wasn't some sort of democratic revolutionary - he was a despot who enacted a military coup.

Britain is no longer an Empire. Ordinary British people know this, but they're being strung along by zealots who believe they still run and change the world.

The EU would have to be willing to renegotiate in the first place which they have already said they won't do they would also have to agree to an extension of article 50 to allow time for the UK to elect a new government which they might not either. Labour would somehow then be able to get a different deal which might be possible to some extent especially if labour had a large majority and were not reliant on the DUP but overall I can't see labour getting much of a better brexit. I think labour should be pushing for a second referendum myself with the next best option being to accept the deal.

The thing about a second referendum then is how that might affect the EU can or even should they allow the UK to remain at this point ?

I think the EU will tell Britain to fuck off.
They've been going on about leaving the EU for decades. They've had loads of time to come up with a plan. They've got none. The EU was able to put together a reasonable compromise in two years.

Britain is run by a bunch of stupid oafs. Sure they went to posh schools and universities, but it's like trying to teach a pig Shakespeare.

Westminster isn't working. That's for Britain to fix - not the EU. The EU can't, and shouldn't compromise.

As much as I hate to say it - Britain should leave at the end of March. The people of Northern Ireland should resist a hard border - and a border can be put down the Irish sea.

Britain needs a revolution. Sure it's got a parliament, but it's not a representative parliament and doesn't speak on behalf of British people. Cromwell wasn't some sort of democratic revolutionary - he was a despot who enacted a military coup.

Britain is no longer an Empire. Ordinary British people know this, but they're being strung along by zealots who believe they still run and change the world.

Yep but I doubt now if is Mays deal will be accepted which means if they do leave it has to be a crash out in which case we should be shiting it.

Think about this...
Last night the majority of MPs voted for Britain to be able to unilaterally leave the "Irish backstop".

That's basically them telling Ireland and the Good Friday Agreement to go fuck itself. That's the majority of MPs in Westminster.

The British parliament has no respect for other countries. The EU has constantly bent over backwards for British demands... always have to react to Britain changing it's mind.
It's time to tell Britain to leave. It's going to hurt Ireland a lot, but Ireland survives. Britain... well... Britain is an old country, fattened with privilege and delusion. They've never really had to survive - and World War 2 isn't comparable to the beating Britain has given so many different communities and countries around the world. More people died in the Bengal famine in the 1940's than who died on mainland Britain in the same decade. Anyway... Hitler wasn't attacking some stoic island nation. The Nazis went to war with an empire of 250 million people which stretched across the globe. Of course Hitler was going to lose against the British Empire.

So.. fuck Britain. Let the British people take charge. Fuck the British aristocracy. They've been a menace to this world for centuries and, if we're going to survive on this planet, they need to go.

The backstop would have been a done deal back in 017 and even be forgotten about if were not for the DUP it has dominated the withdrawal agreement since then.

Why? Genuine question.

Because of the economic impact of falling out with a large trading partner which will effect the whole of the EU but us especially even if Ireland and the UK have their own chumy relationship it can cause hudge problems they might even just decide to blame us for everything.

Talk of what Corbyn might be able to get from the EU is pretty futile because he's not going to be prime minister in the next few months. His no confidence motion will almost certainly fail, and without that there's no general election.

Surely the sensible thing, given the parliamentary deadlock and the impossibility of squaring the circle regarding MPs not wanting no-deal but also not wanting the only deal on the table would be to teach the British how single transferable voting works and give the people a 3 choice referendum; stay, May deal, hard brexit.

Re the question about Article 50; to the best of my knowledge the UK can unilaterally revoke it but they can't delay it without the EU agreeing to a delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back