Minor complaints thread (20 Viewers)

People with long
My point is that an animal is dying for your meal, if you’re fine with that step don’t start getting squeamish about liver, kidney, tripe, etc. I mean, I don’t like all of it but I try to eat more than just a fillet steak or rashers. It just feels so wasteful to me.
I agree in principle but in practice I'm not going to start eating the disgusting bits.

I've been trying to reduce my vegetable waste actually. So far the only thing I've really managed to use all the skins and nubs for is stock, but its way nicer and lower in sodium than those damned oxo cubes or whatever.

I know you’re taking the piss

yes mostly, i'm closer to vegetarian now than i've ever been. I am also aware too that a lot of these animals wouldn't exist at all if they weren't farmed, and all the other 'nuances' - like vegans wearing lipstick and nutella being made out of monkeys and soya being made out of landslides and avocados being made out of rain forests and childrens craft workshops being made of horses etc etc. I think the most compelling thing i've heard in years about farming was someone who was studying biodiversity explaining to me that all those green fields we see in Ireland aren't actually nature, and have more in common with factories in the monocultural sense.

There is a little robin that hangs out with me when i'm gardening and i read somewhere is the reason for this is that traditionally robins had a relationship with pigs that resembled that of a crocodile and a clover bird, but because pigs moved into intensive farming they moved onto humans as a crappy second. I know i'm probably annoying AF about these things but what I can't get past with full vegan/vegetarian is that we live in a magical fantasy world where I can cycle 4km and choose between bananas, avacados, oranges and so on when my dad used to live on the same street and get an orange for christmas. Now its been proven the carbon miles of import veg are still coming in under that of beef etc I still can't get my head around any kind of vision of flying chilled fruits in an airborne aluminium box 100 times a week as being something we can do for any length of time and survive as humans. I'm quite comfortable with being slightly ethically wrong on the animal side of things because essentially, flying food to a country that produces a lot of food is stupid. Its like when christians come to ireland from middle america to try and convert us to christianity.

Also the thing about not consuming every nanogram of an animal is that *something* will consume it - We live in an ecosystem, my point about veg waste was equally spurious (though i've hand built two composters and am designing a third and then as a complete contradiction bring the compost to my dad 150 miles away) everything gets consumed by something, unless its plastic which factors hugely in non local foods. To actively not take the piss for a whole sentence, i'm more into a localvore diet low plastic diet, i've no issue if it contains meat or not and I think some of the crazy importing is really fucked up. Second to localvore i'm big into canned foods that have shelf lives that don't involve a requirement for overnight shipping, spices, preserves etc. Good morning everyone.

yes mostly, i'm closer to vegetarian now than i've ever been. I am also aware too that a lot of these animals wouldn't exist at all if they weren't farmed, and all the other 'nuances' - like vegans wearing lipstick and nutella being made out of monkeys and soya being made out of landslides and avocados being made out of rain forests and childrens craft workshops being made of horses etc etc. I think the most compelling thing i've heard in years about farming was someone who was studying biodiversity explaining to me that all those green fields we see in Ireland aren't actually nature, and have more in common with factories in the monocultural sense.

There is a little robin that hangs out with me when i'm gardening and i read somewhere is the reason for this is that traditionally robins had a relationship with pigs that resembled that of a crocodile and a clover bird, but because pigs moved into intensive farming they moved onto humans as a crappy second. I know i'm probably annoying AF about these things but what I can't get past with full vegan/vegetarian is that we live in a magical fantasy world where I can cycle 4km and choose between bananas, avacados, oranges and so on when my dad used to live on the same street and get an orange for christmas. Now its been proven the carbon miles of import veg are still coming in under that of beef etc I still can't get my head around any kind of vision of flying chilled fruits in an airborne aluminium box 100 times a week as being something we can do for any length of time and survive as humans. I'm quite comfortable with being slightly ethically wrong on the animal side of things because essentially, flying food to a country that produces a lot of food is stupid. Its like when christians come to ireland from middle america to try and convert us to christianity.

Also the thing about not consuming every nanogram of an animal is that *something* will consume it - We live in an ecosystem, my point about veg waste was equally spurious (though i've hand built two composters and am designing a third and then as a complete contradiction bring the compost to my dad 150 miles away) everything gets consumed by something, unless its plastic which factors hugely in non local foods. To actively not take the piss for a whole sentence, i'm more into a localvore diet low plastic diet, i've no issue if it contains meat or not and I think some of the crazy importing is really fucked up. Second to localvore i'm big into canned foods that have shelf lives that don't involve a requirement for overnight shipping, spices, preserves etc. Good morning everyone.
When I came back from travelling a few years ago I was looking at ways to offset my carbon footprint from all the flights I took. Initially I was going to shell out for planting trees in the rainforest but then I read that giving up beef for a ridiculously short period of time would have the same effect. Ultimately I decided to cut down on red meat and dump beef altogether. Like yourself, it's not perfect but better than nothing.
Giving up beef will reduce carbon footprint more than cars, says expert

The motherfucking youtube algorithm constantly recommending videos of where various people on the left get COMPLETELY OWNED and CALMLY SHUT DOWN and DESTROYED by the Jacob Rees Moggs/Ann Widdecombe/ Ben Shapiro/etc.

I never watch them and tell youtube to stop showing them to me but they just keep coming.

Just read all the meat-eating talk above and what bothers me lately about animal products is not so much the death, but the slavery. Everything dies, and you can seek out free-range meat/eggs and Irish cows and sheep are treated reasonably well ... except for - well, they're slaves.

Just read all the meat-eating talk above and what bothers me lately about animal products is not so much the death, but the slavery. Everything dies, and you can seek out free-range meat/eggs and Irish cows and sheep are treated reasonably well ... except for - well, they're slaves.

Everything dies is a strange argument because not everything is killed.

This whole "meat slaves" thing could use its own thread. There is a real danger my complaints about my cold feet, or itchy hand will get lost amidst all this chatter.

The are, but the rate of rare species eradication in emerging markets to clear rainforest to grow trendy veg is part of the checks and balances here. I'm not trying to counter with 'hey meat is great here', I'm more trying to look at the entire thing, I'd have little complaint with meat being taken off the market but I guess I fantasize a lot about when my grandmother kept chickens as egg slaves. And I guess I think it's important while people are jumping on 'veganuary' to be clear about what is happening to facilitate that and not to just blankly give it an ethical passport?

I’m on board with most of this. The “well something else will consume it” bit less so and I think it kind of ties in with the plastics issue. Meat has gone from being something you included with less frequency than other foods to something that is essential to a meal for many people (“I am not able to get full without a steak or chicken breast LOL!”). This is partly because supermarkets have driven consumers towards prepackaged “easy” cuts and going to a butcher is now much less common. As such, you have a reinforcing cycle where:
1) People are removed from the source of their food by a couple of psychological steps (it is a homogenous thing in a box).
2) They don’t interact with the person who knows about the meat (“I don’t know if I like liver, what would you recommend I do with it”).
3) It’s yet another way that food is transported over large distances unnecessarily.
4) And another source of plastic waste.

I would much rather have less meat (and pay more)and have it come from somewhere local, with decent living standards for the animals, and have it in a reusable/compostable container than the current situation.

On a related note, how come you can buy free range chickens and free range chicken breasts but not free range wings or drumsticks? Where do the wings/legs of the chickens they use for the breasts go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back